Moparts

Head casting

Posted By: 440lebaron

Head casting - 12/28/21 09:22 PM

looking for heads for my nhra stocker 400 b casting 4120187 what is it?
also can use 4006452 76'-78 400-440, 3769975 75'400-440
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Head casting - 12/28/21 09:35 PM

Absolutely use the 452.
Posted By: EchoSixMike

Re: Head casting - 12/29/21 01:33 AM

If you can't find 452 heads locally, I have a stack of them, and a couple sets of the police car/RV heads with the extra steam holes, if you need them. S/F....Ken M
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Head casting - 12/29/21 05:31 AM

Before you decide make sure and have all eight ports flowed as well as any replacement heads NHRA accepts, me thinks there may be a Edelbrock head acceptable scope
I have several sets of the stock 400 heads, not sure which casting numbers though shruggy
PM me if your interested in a set cheap grin
Posted By: Moparteacher

Re: Head casting - 12/29/21 05:16 PM

FWIW, a few things I remember when I was researching heads for a 383 stocker:
The 452 casting has the best low lift numbers.
Milling the intake face lowers the intake volume and makes room to......ahem.....well, customize the port and maintain the NHRA intake volume specification. NHRA states a limit to how far it can be milled. It cannot go into the valve cover bolt holes.
A 45 degree seat on the intake is NOT the angle you want. A 30 degree seat flows better at low lift numbers and may be preferred.
The Edelbrock acceptable head comes with a weight penalty, and has the wrong valve sizes, thus different valves and seats may be required.

Disclaimer: It's been a few years and the rules may have changed, and all this info may be nonsense.

You may be able to purge some better info on Classracer.com
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Head casting - 12/29/21 07:31 PM

My advice is to just look for some 452’s that haven’t been touched yet........ that have minimal core shift, and the valve seats aren’t all pounded out.
Posted By: Max Weg

Re: Head casting - 12/30/21 11:24 AM

To be competitive in Stock Eliminator your best bang for the buck is to use a reputable cylinder head and intake shop that works on these engines for these classes. You will be wasting your money and effort and getting poor results otherwise.

Max Weg
Posted By: mr_340

Re: Head casting - 12/31/21 07:15 PM

You might want to check with Don Little on the BB heads. The Eddy heads will take some work as they have smaller valve stem guides (need enlarged to .375") and they have seats for larger valves. I think they come unmachined, not sure if the throats are too large for stock size valves. I think the ports have too many CCs, so need the flanges need milled back. As stated, probably cheaper to find a good head guy that knows how to make them run fast. I'd figure $20k for the engine costs, maybe more.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Head casting - 12/31/21 08:07 PM

I don’t think the nhra approved Ede BB head has been available for a while.
© 2024 Moparts Forums