Moparts

Steering box removal question

Posted By: StealthWedge67

Steering box removal question - 12/27/21 01:00 AM

I’m swapping out the power steering in my Satellite for a manual box. I’ve got the roll pin removed in the slip joint and was expecting it to slide up the column far enough to get the gear out of there. It only slides about 3/8” though before it stops for some reason. I don’t want to force it. Is it supposed to slide further than this, or does this job require pulling the whole steering column up to clear the last 3/4”?

Thanks in advance for any insight here. 👍

Attached picture CB11AC9F-0EEE-4F88-A77F-EEDCD32FFE21.jpeg
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Steering box removal question - 12/27/21 02:23 AM

The coupler should slide the length of the rectangular recess seen in you picture. Some times you have to wiggle the coupler and gently pry it off the steering box shaft.
Posted By: tex013

Re: Steering box removal question - 12/27/21 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
The coupler should slide the length of the rectangular recess seen in you picture. Some times you have to wiggle the coupler and gently pry it off the steering box shaft.

Or drop column to dash bolts and lay column back , easy and gives more room at steering box

Tex
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Steering box removal question - 12/27/21 03:18 AM

You need to LOOSEN the 4 nuts under the steering column (under the dash). The shaft itself is a "slip-fit", but has plastic poured in it to prevent it from slipping, part of the "safety collapsible steering column".(so if you hit something, it doesn't turn into a spear). And I'm assuming that you have an adapter to connect the shorter P/S shaft to the shorter manual box.

Brian

Re: Steering box removal question - 12/27/21 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jeremiah

I’ll give more effort to wiggling it off the splined shaft. The length of the rectangular section should get me what I need. I really hate “under-dash” work. Never was a fan, but since the roll bar install, it’s a royal PIA getting under there.
Posted By: jwb123

Re: Steering box removal question - 12/27/21 03:07 PM

As mentioned, just remove the bracket bolts under the dash and lay the steering wheel on the seat, to aid in removing the coupler. But I think you have to remove the column anyway, as to my memory the shaft length is different between a standard and power steering box, the standard box requires a longer shaft on the column.

Re: Steering box removal question - 12/27/21 03:40 PM

You are correct about column length. This coupler extension takes care of that issue, however. With the door bar on one side, the shifter on the other, and the seat in the car….. Well, as said before, I’d rather not work under there. I’ll end up doing whatever I have to, but would prefer avoid it if possible.

Attached picture 25F970D3-C1C0-4BA8-AB94-082579AFA9FD.png
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Steering box removal question - 12/27/21 03:51 PM

FYI, you don't need that adapter. Just pull the shaft out of the steering column, it is telescopic. The only thing holding it from telescoping is some plastic that is molded into a hole or a pair of holes that is drilled through both the inner and outer shaft. Whack the shaft with a hammer and the plastic shears right off. Then you can extend the length of the shaft by telescoping it longer. The holes for the manual box length should already be drilled. Then just put an aluminum bolt in one of them or fill the holes with a hot glue gun or something and put the column back together. Then you don't have an adapter cluttering up your engine compartment.
But you do have to work under the dash to get the column out.

Re: Steering box removal question - 12/27/21 04:35 PM

Great tip! I’ll look into that. Thanks Joel!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Steering box removal question - 12/28/21 01:52 AM

What year Satellite?
Pre 1968 or maybe 1969 had solid inner shafts, not the later collapsible safety type. scope
If it was me, I would remove the 4 bolts holding the thin floor dust cover and loosen up the two nuts holding the upper steering column to the dash and slide the complete shaft it back a 2 to 3 inches up twocents
I've had the power steering shafts extended inside the columns also to make them look stock work scope up
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Steering box removal question - 12/28/21 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
What year Satellite?
Pre 1968 or maybe 1969 had solid inner shafts, not the later collapsible safety type. scope
If it was me, I would remove the 4 bolts holding the thin floor dust cover and loosen up the two nuts holding the upper steering column to the dash and slide the complete shaft it back a 2 to 3 inches up twocents
I've had the power steering shafts extended inside the columns also to make them look stock work scope up

Good point on the solid shafts. I'm sure that the collapsible started in 1967.
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Steering box removal question - 12/28/21 01:22 PM

1966 Was the last year for the solid shaft. thumbs
Posted By: 67mprfan

Re: Steering box removal question - 12/28/21 06:06 PM

One thing to look out for if you do drop the steering column, keep an eye on the couplers when I dropped my it can undone partially a d couldn't figure out why my LS taillight won't work. Push the coupler back together all good now
Posted By: krautrock

Re: Steering box removal question - 12/28/21 07:29 PM

don't PS and Manual boxes have different size splined shafts? that's another thing the adapter takes care of?

I just did the swap on my 67 Coronet, first time I dropped the steering wheel onto the seat.
Second time (thought maybe I had a bad Manual box) I just unbolted the plate holding the steering column to the firewall and then loosened the other bolts under the dash so I could slide the column back that 1/2" to 3/4" or whatever it may be. That was enough to slide the coupler off the steering gear shaft...

Re: Steering box removal question - 12/29/21 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by krautrock
don't PS and Manual boxes have different size splined shafts? that's another thing the adapter takes care of?

I just did the swap on my 67 Coronet, first time I dropped the steering wheel onto the seat.
Second time (thought maybe I had a bad Manual box) I just unbolted the plate holding the steering column to the firewall and then loosened the other bolts under the dash so I could slide the column back that 1/2" to 3/4" or whatever it may be. That was enough to slide the coupler off the steering gear shaft...

Thanks for the tip. I did try everything I could to slide the coupler up further to no avail. Came to accept that I’ll have to address the column. Will probably tackle it this weekend, and Ill start with this advice.

PS: it is a 67 with the collapsible column.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Steering box removal question - 12/29/21 06:29 PM

If you use an adapter like the one above be aware there are 2 different ones. The Mopar one used the manual box style pot coupler. Firm feel makes on that uses the power steering pot coupler.
© 2024 Moparts Forums