Moparts

4 Speed Tranny Question.

Posted By: TimS

4 Speed Tranny Question. - 12/22/21 01:00 PM

I’m looking at a 74 Cuda for sale and upon inspection and driving noticed the pistol grip shifter wasn’t quite centered in the hump hole and console. Crawled under the car and confirmed the motor to be #s matching but the tranny case is stamped 68. However it has a dual shifter mount tail shaft like a 70 and up would have. Appears like a 70-up tail shaft has been installed on a 68. But I would have thought if the original one was installed that would have had the correct shifter bracket. Any ideas on this one? When driving, the shifter is so far off center to the rear it hits the console in 2nd and 4th gears.

Thanks.
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: 4 Speed Tranny Question. - 12/22/21 01:50 PM

sounds like it has the wrong mounting plate/bracket. There are different types that shift the shifter foreword or back
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: 4 Speed Tranny Question. - 12/22/21 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by 68LAR
sounds like it has the wrong mounting plate/bracket. There are different types that shift the shifter foreword or back

iagree It sounds like they might have an old "Super Shifter" bracket on it and it moved the shifter up and back not for use with console cars. Is it made from steel or aluminum ?
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: 4 Speed Tranny Question. - 12/22/21 02:54 PM

Didn’t they make a different shifter for console and non consoles like other years. My 70 Challenger had non-console was straight up out of the hump offset to driver.

Re: 4 Speed Tranny Question. - 12/22/21 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969
Didn’t they make a different shifter for console and non consoles like other years. My 70 Challenger had non-console was straight up out of the hump offset to driver.

I always thought the E body shifters were the same. B body is different. Console shifters bend toward the driver on a B.
Posted By: dragon slayer

Re: 4 Speed Tranny Question. - 12/22/21 08:39 PM

The housing would be the same other than bearing sizes potentially. So that is not the issue. Was it an original 4 speed car? As others have said, mount.

Re: 4 Speed Tranny Question. - 12/22/21 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by dragon slayer
The housing would be the same other than bearing sizes potentially. So that is not the issue. Was it an original 4 speed car? As others have said, mount.

Yes it is an original 4 speed car. At some point in its life something happened to the #s tranny.

Re: 4 Speed Tranny Question. - 12/23/21 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
Originally Posted by 68LAR

iagree It sounds like they might have an old "Super Shifter" bracket on it and it moved the shifter up and back not for use with console cars. Is it made from steel or aluminum ?

Not sure what the bracket is made of. I'll have to check that out. What are the original brackets made of?
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 4 Speed Tranny Question. - 12/23/21 04:20 PM

Factory shifter mounting brackets of that era are cast aluminum, some aftermarket and later factory brackets are stamped steel.

Attached picture 68_70shiftermount.jpg
Attached picture Bracket.PNG
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: 4 Speed Tranny Question. - 12/24/21 01:35 AM

Super Shifter mount for E-body
This is the one I use and it puts the shifter right against your leg and high next to your hand.

Gus beer

Attached picture shifter brkt.jpg

Re: 4 Speed Tranny Question. - 12/24/21 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
Factory shifter mounting brackets of that era are cast aluminum, some aftermarket and later factory brackets are stamped steel.

Looks like the top set. Didn't get close enough to see which one.

Not the Super Shifter.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: 4 Speed Tranny Question. - 12/24/21 01:42 PM

I had the problem years ago in my Cuda. Ended up the motor mounts were off and it moved the motor to the right enough to catch the rubber boot against the opening. An ebody shifter body is the same, it’s the arms that are moves over to the dr side some.
© 2024 Moparts Forums