Moparts

Thoughts on Beehive Springs?

Posted By: BigDaddy440

Thoughts on Beehive Springs? - 12/02/21 06:46 AM

What are your thoughts and experiences with Beehive Springs?

GM has been using them in their LSX engines for decades with success, but some claim they're junk and they break "all the time" or wear out prematurely. Factory GM camshafts probably don't have super aggressive lobe profiles, but LS engines take a lot of abuse and the springs survive.

They're typically lighter than conventional springs, especially when considering the much smaller retainer than can be used. They also can usually allow for more lift in applications where retainer to valve seal contact is an issue. Lighter valve-train should require less seat pressure to control valve events and less spring pressure should help allow parts to last longer.

My concern with running a Beehive Spring is breakage and a potentially dropped valve which could totally wreck an entire engine. I'm specifically considering a set (non mopar engine) for a fairly small (.510 lift) hydraulic roller camshaft with an aggressive lobe profile. The aggressive lobe fuels my concern.

I noticed Steve Dulcich had some Beehives on a small block mopar recently. I was surprised because I haven't noticed a lot of guys running Beehives on Non-GM engines. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Thoughts on Beehive Springs? - 12/02/21 07:48 AM

Do you really want to be a Guinea pig and lead the way or would you rather go with a proven product like a set of Isky #8005 valve springs work
I don't want to be test bed unless the company providing me the parts is paying me to do testing for them.
I have had to try unproven race parts (R&D) in my motors when the parts I was using wouldn't live or do what I needed them to do up work
Posted By: Max Weg

Re: Thoughts on Beehive Springs? - 12/02/21 11:49 AM

Beehives work great!! I have used them in Stock Eliminator for over 10 years with only 1 failure which was more my fault. I as well have used them on multiple street builds with good success.

Max Weg
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Thoughts on Beehive Springs? - 12/02/21 12:11 PM

Depends on what you are gonna do with the car. Viper and late model Hemi's have beehive springs and I've seen the Viper powered truck and a cop Hemi street engine drop a valve cause they broke. On a race engine that gets checked, or the springs get replaced more often, I guess they can work.
Posted By: 73DAD

Re: Thoughts on Beehive Springs? - 12/02/21 01:18 PM

I've been running beehives on my 528 Hemi for about 15k miles now. Street use and occasional track visit. They control some pretty heavy valvetrain just fine. I've rev'd it to 7k on accident before. (solid flat tappet).

I'm a believer. I don't intend to run traditional springs ever again if I can help it.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Thoughts on Beehive Springs? - 12/02/21 02:01 PM

Mild hydro roller, over 11k miles & so far so good.
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Thoughts on Beehive Springs? - 12/02/21 02:52 PM

If the OEM is willing to use them, it's not a design you should be worried about.

Buy from a good spring manufacture, and don't look back.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Thoughts on Beehive Springs? - 12/02/21 03:00 PM

I've been running beehive springs for at least 20 years. The last few engines I used conical springs which are even better than beehives. The conical springs are a dual spring design.
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/dyno-tested-dual-conical-valve-springs/

Attached picture DSC_4688 (Large).JPG
Posted By: MoonshineMattK

Re: Thoughts on Beehive Springs? - 12/02/21 06:37 PM

Beehive springs are great. My question is how much money will the upgrade cost and could the money be better spent elsewhere.
© 2024 Moparts Forums