Moparts

8hp90 Trans

Posted By: 65 Hemi

8hp90 Trans - 11/21/21 03:34 PM

Anybody running a 8 speed trans in an older car? How much trimming of the tunnel/firewall did you do and what body car do you have? I am getting ready to to put one in a 65 Coronet behind 6.1 hemi with magnuson blower.
Posted By: HemiDart68

Re: 8hp90 Trans - 11/28/21 03:44 PM

I don't know the answer to your question. Was curious what you are going to use for a trans controller on that setup.
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: 8hp90 Trans - 11/28/21 04:39 PM

I am researching this to run in place of the 4 speed in my 2000 Dakota. My understanding is there shouldn't have to be any trimming because it is about the same size as a 727.

Sound German makes a proven stand alone trans controller: https://www.soundgermanautomotive.com/
Posted By: 65 Hemi

Re: 8hp90 Trans - 11/28/21 05:15 PM

German sound engineering has a great controller! A lot of great success. 8Hp trans used in a lot German cars The 8 speed technology came from when Chrysler merged with Mercedes.[b][/b]
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: 8hp90 Trans - 11/29/21 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by 65 Hemi
German sound engineering has a great controller! A lot of great success. 8Hp trans used in a lot German cars The 8 speed technology came from when Chrysler merged with Mercedes.[b][/b]
I have always thought the five speed automatic was the German transmission and the eight speed was developed by Chrysler. I thought the eight speed came out quite awhile after Chrysler split with Mercedes.

Am I wrong?
Posted By: furious70

Re: 8hp90 Trans - 11/29/21 05:38 PM

nag1 was benz
hp70/90 is ZF

Both are different sized than a 727. They do not fit without cutting/trimming, using the Holley mount kit, etc.

Russell at Sound German knows what's what. I talked for an hour with him once.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: 8hp90 Trans - 11/29/21 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by 340Cuda
Originally Posted by 65 Hemi
I have always thought the five speed automatic was the German transmission and the eight speed was developed by Chrysler. I thought the eight speed came out quite awhile after Chrysler split with Mercedes.

Am I wrong?

The NAG was the MB unit.
ZF developed the 8 speed and Chrysler builds them under license in the Kokomo South Transmission Plant.
The 9 speed FWD trans was co-developed between FCA and ZF.
Posted By: furious70

Re: 8hp90 Trans - 11/30/21 02:04 PM

also can be confusing - Russell's company

https://www.soundgermanautomotive.com/

does not mean 'German made'

up
© 2024 Moparts Forums