Moparts

Head gasket that does not brinell aluminum

Posted By: hemienvy

Head gasket that does not brinell aluminum - 11/06/21 09:55 PM

Have done research and it seems to be conclusive that the following head gaskets will cause brinelling on aluminum heads:
1009 FelPro

So which composition-type head gaskets will not brinell aluminum heads ?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Head gasket that does not brinell aluminum - 11/06/21 11:22 PM

You have to use MLS gaskets if you don't want to touch up the heads each time. I gave up on comp gaskets since it costs more money to surface the heads each time than it does to just buy the good MLS gaskets.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Head gasket that does not brinell aluminum - 11/15/21 07:22 PM

HEMIENVY -- Where and how did you do your research? The 17059 (marine applications) and the 8519 (truck block) have simple flat folded over cylinder armors that should not brinell at all. The other two gaskets -- 1009 and 1039 -- are both "Performance" gaskets which have an internal pre-flattened soft wire ring with a stainless steel folded-over armor. The pre-flattening of the wire ring reduces any brinelling (as compared to earlier designs that were not pre-flattened), however, if it does have any, its actually better for combustion sealing, especially in higher CR applications.

I'm former Fel-Pro applications engineer and am well aware of the designs.

Re: Head gasket that does not brinell aluminum - 11/16/21 01:53 AM

Mitch, that is excellent info, thanks !
All my research is on the internet, where I read of peoples' own firsthand experiences, some from Moparts.
Of course, I don't know much in-depth detail on each anecdote.
But folks have said they used the above-listed gaskets and had brinelling on their heads.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Head gasket that does not brinell aluminum - 11/16/21 03:44 AM

I used the 17059. It did brinell the heads.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Head gasket that does not brinell aluminum - 11/16/21 01:15 PM

the alum the heads are cast from is soft. anything with a steel fire ring, wire or no wire, will mark the alum. the only material i can think of that may not mark the alum is dead soft copper.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Head gasket that does not brinell aluminum - 11/16/21 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by lewtot184
the alum the heads are cast from is soft. anything with a steel fire ring, wire or no wire, will mark the alum. the only material i can think of that may not mark the alum is dead soft copper.

Mopar used to sell copper gaskets for the aluminum head Hemis. I am sure for this exact reason

Re: Head gasket that does not brinell aluminum - 11/18/21 01:11 AM

Well, I don't know what to say.
It seems people have had problems.

Maybe the next question is which heads are soft aluminum ?

Still can't ignore the brinelling problems.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Head gasket that does not brinell aluminum - 11/18/21 02:39 AM

Never seen it as a "problem"
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Head gasket that does not brinell aluminum - 11/18/21 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by BSB67
Never seen it as a "problem"
Me neither, reuse the same gasket or the same new gasket number with the bore size the same up twocents
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Head gasket that does not brinell aluminum - 11/18/21 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by hemienvy

Depends what you're trying to do. If the motor is going together for 100,000 miles then don't worry about it. On my dyno motors I only use MLS gaskets since that solves the problem. Why are you worried about brinelling anyway? Buy a set of Cometic gaskets and you won't have a problem.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Head gasket that does not brinell aluminum - 11/18/21 01:55 PM

this is one of those "depends" answer to the question. what are you going to do with the engine? is it a high maintenance race engine, or do you want a 5yr-50,000 mile driver?
Posted By: metallicareload

Re: Head gasket that does not brinell aluminum - 11/18/21 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by hemienvy

Not Trick Flow heads shruggy

I've been using Cometics with Trick-Flow heads for the last 5 years or so. The heads have been on and off twice in that time. After the first time I had the heads surfaced just enough to remove almost all the brinelling. This last time around I didn't worry about it, just used new gaskets and so far so good. A few runs at the drag strip, several auto-Xs, and 8,000+ street miles drive
© 2024 Moparts Forums