Moparts

Who's got build plans this winter?

Posted By: Dragula

Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/04/21 04:20 PM

Whatcha building?

I ,picked up a new project here at the end of the season....And its now in the chassis shop....Going to start ordering engine parts soon too. Going to make it street / strip....if I can figure out how to make all that work. We will see I guess.

Attached picture IMG_2072.JPG
Attached picture 6903.jpeg
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/04/21 04:30 PM

1975 Chrysler cordaba 400 nhra stock, 8 pt roll bar, full race727 aftermarket drums etc, S60 4:56
looking for bare head castings 452,187, 975
stock 400 short block

Attached picture CAGE.jpg
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/04/21 04:30 PM

Thats a cool looking project. We are busy converting a show car to a racecar.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/04/21 05:07 PM

Not really build plans, but I'll be playing the waiting game on my INDY block 563ci engine. I ordered a Clutchless Liberty 4 speed 5 weeks ago, and was told 6-8 weeks. The car will need some floor pan modifications to make it fit. have to change the rear gear in the car from 4.88's to either 4.56 of 4.30.

I'm in absolute zero rush though... I have more vacation plans for 2022, than I've ever had before, and looking forward to that more than anything else.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/04/21 05:29 PM

picking away on her car.
1980 Volare wagon with a 408 / 727.
hyd. flat tappet and 10:1 , it made a nice 492 and 492 on the pump this past August.
Cal tracs , 9" with a 3.5 cog for cruising and 4.11 for play dates.
Getting enough tire is going to be a problem...........there isn't nearly as much room as the coupes have.
I don't want to do a ton of cutting , so a 9 " slick may be it.
Tying the sub frames and new interior are all I have planned , but plans have a strange way of getting out of control in my garage.
It is slated to be a street car , with a.c. and tunes.
If I don't forget that simple guideline , I should have it on the strasse next spring.
Love the early Cuda. You will be definitely one of the few kids on the block who will be rolling one.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/04/21 05:44 PM

Hopefully straightening my car out from the wheelie damage.
Got my New K frame and control arms.
Going to change all the shocks
Got a new bullet going together
Going to lower the car all around
Looking for more weight, hopefully 60+ more off the car and juggle some around to the front

Been working on this Duster since May...almost done Roll Cage, Rear, trans, motor, wiring, fuel system.....WHEW ! !
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/04/21 05:52 PM

Helping my buddy finish up his Tube chassis '91 Daytona that he bought rolling last year. Setting it up for his 528" low deck B1 w/ a powerglide.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/04/21 06:42 PM

Not much I just completed a mad thrash to get my car ready for some late season index racing after my 408 suffered a cracked crank. I recently put my lower compression ( 11.5 to 1 to 10.0 to 1 ) and freshened 367 back in a few weeks ago. Winter plans are: get the quarter panel fixed where it was " hit and ran " while sitting outside my trailer at the track, replace a bent strut rod and get an alignment , and get rid of the TTI headers and go back to Tubular Automotive headers ( if they can get tubing to make them, when I called they told me they have been waiting a long time for 1 7/8 tubing ) possibly a gear change from 4.30s to 4.88s. Decide if I am going to fix my 408 or sell it, it has good parts: R3 block and Indy 360-1 heads it appears to only need a crank and new main bearings with no other damage either part it out , sell whole or keep it and fix it , I haven't decided.

Attached picture 23CD980C-80C3-466F-9F88-EBAC63E7FC1A.jpeg
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/04/21 06:48 PM

Just working on the stock 383 for my '69 GTS Dart.
Posted By: John Burdine

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/04/21 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by 440lebaron
1975 Chrysler cordaba 400 nhra stock, 8 pt roll bar, full race727 aftermarket drums etc, S60 4:56
stock 400 short block

Don't see that everyday. Add a pic.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/04/21 10:20 PM

Gonna drag my old motor out of mothballs, different converter, trans looked at, change from 4.10 to 4.86 gears, and change from 9x30 to 11x31 tires.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/04/21 11:36 PM

I have a plate kit on the shelf ready to go, along with a NOS mini progressive and an MSD 2 stage timing retard module to install, along with tossing in a driveshaft loop. I also need to redo the trunk a bit and if I'm really ambitious I might pull the HVAC box and make a blockoff plate for it. Really only a weekends worth of work but it's already cold and miserable outside so motivation is low, lol

Should be solid mid 11's next spring and I'll be content with it at least before running it in one of the drag and drive events as long as my work schedule doesn't hose me.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/04/21 11:51 PM

I'm busy already. Since breaking the motor in May the racing season was slow. Borrowed cars for a few races. Ran my street car, but broke the converter. Since it took so long to get parts I decided to get some minor bumps and bruises repaired on the body. Along with getting the new carbon hood and scoop painted. As always my buddy Ted did an over top job.That's all done. The trailer needed some work. Decided to rub and wax it first time ever since it was new in 2003. Pulled the screws out figuring it would make it a nicer finish.. Got about 75% done since then the weather hasn't cooperated. It also had some water leaks that delaminated the ceiling panels. Cleaned and resealed the roof. Still had a few slow leaks. Had my granddaughter blow compressed air at the suspect areas while I sprayed soap water on the outside. Bubbles showed the leaks. Sealed them and started fitting new panels. That should be done tomorrow. Machine work is nearly done so the motor will start going back together shortly. Heads, block, and oil pan had to welded up. New crank, rods, pistons, springs. Pistons are being gas ported by my friend. NMCA nixed the billet carb main bodies. So cast replacements are on order. Hopefully everything holds together in the spring and it'll finally produce a 8 second slip.
doug

Attached picture 20211007_164232.jpg
Attached picture 20211024_135640.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/05/21 12:17 AM

I'm hoping to finish my 1966 Dodge Cornet deluxe 2 door sedan and drive it soon(it needs front end alignment only now)
Also continue working on my 1940 Ford Tudor sedan to get it done so we, my wife and I, can use it before we can't work
It is all steel and all Ford grin up
And no, I'm not going to put Hemi in it grin
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/05/21 12:24 AM

Parts pile is getting larger , I'll put motor and trans in soon ,,still lots of parts to acquire

Attached picture valoutsideshot.jpg
Attached picture 366.jpg
Attached picture 904.jpg
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/05/21 12:32 AM

Mines not as cool as any of ya'lls but I am planning to do another superduper MPG build on a pristine 92 318 Dakota. Instead of like most of my projects where I do a single or a few upgrades this should be a pretty serious build with tons of improvements.
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/05/21 12:58 AM

MY CAR - although it’s never really winter here.
Re-position Kirkey seat(s) AGAIN.
Order new current cam-lock harness belt
Install new rear gear
Install new bolt-together converter
Install new PST Carbon Driveshaft
Install new engine belly pan
Cage cert
Sort out nitrous system
Maybe add sliders (most likely not for now)
Remove a little more weight
Scale car
Get my license again (Ugh)
Reacquaint myself with the MSD GRID & Racepak
Reacquaint myself to making some hits on a track somewhere (Jan+)

SONS CAR
Finish buying a few more engine parts
Get to chassis shop for some minor work/updates
Get the motor built
Continue to work on everything through ‘22 and hopefully we’ll make passes next fall.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/05/21 01:06 AM

Revalve the rear coilovers, that’s it for the drag car. My 36 year old Shoverolet, on the other, needs a headliner and all new window run channels and weatherstrips. That’ll have to wait until spring, as I don’t have a big enough garage, especially considering Minnesota winters. I can start stock piling parts, though.
Posted By: Scully

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/05/21 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by 440lebaron
stock 400 short block
I just got done honing my filled 383 block for my NHRA stocker Challenger G/SA, I'm supposed to get quite a few 346-452 type castings from a friend soon, I'm in PA.

Attached picture 2.JPG
Attached picture 1.JPG
Posted By: LA360

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/05/21 03:26 AM

I had 6 pallets of of Dodge R5/P7 engine parts shipped from Indianapolis in July. After a long sea voyage over the pond, they should be arriving next week. My plan is to get a couple of engines together in the new year, and finally make a start on the car.
Posted By: maximus

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/05/21 11:37 AM

Going to re-skin the dragster with a new full body. My friend Al Bergler and I already built a new fuel tank for the car. Picture has ugly old tank as purchased in June.

Attached picture 180 Drag.jpg
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/05/21 12:15 PM

Gotta Love Mopar Stockers and Super/ Stockers great to see a few new ones being built !!! Big Dad that wagon is just so cool !!!

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/05/21 12:36 PM

Thanks ..

Taking way too long to complete , 1000 set backs since day 1
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/05/21 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by EvilB1Dart

You just gotta rub it in don't ya Wes! LOL

I'd like to pull my engine and freshen it but I'm afraid i can't get parts. I need to at least pull the intake and inspect the roller lifters.

Bigdad, I see you have a man killer sitting on the back corner of the bench in the photo of your transmission. Glad I don't have to lug it around and use it!
Posted By: Schultz62

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/05/21 01:32 PM

Come on Cab you must have a bunch of Hemi motors around to put into that Ford grin I say that in jest as I am slooooowly working on a 32 Ford Pickup. Looking at stroker big block Ford with tunnel ram power.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/05/21 01:36 PM

Going to pull the engine and do a refresh.

I'm going to put on a little thinner MLS head gasket to bump the compression ratio slightly.

The goal is 10's n/a and 9's on spray...and drive for ice cream when I'm done. up
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/05/21 01:37 PM

SCULLY
see ya at div 1 races, based in RI, wifes from philly
gary

400 cordaba
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/05/21 01:39 PM

Making the Challenger faster yet of course as all of out never-ending quests. Making the Super Sleeper Roached Runner faster as well. Working on the restoration of Charger #2 and will work on the restoration on the 63 Max Wedge tribute Belvedere.

Attached picture 123_1(1) (1).jpeg
Attached picture 20210530_123448.jpg
Attached picture IMG_55511.jpg
Attached picture 20211002_103536_HDR.jpg
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/05/21 01:58 PM

Another D1 S/S car here...long term project...I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and the bottom of my empty pockets. Need pistons, oil pan, tires, and headers. Yes, that is the original 26" radiator opening...

Attached picture 1.jpg

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/05/21 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by justinp61

I'd like to pull my engine and freshen it but I'm afraid i can't get parts. I need to at least pull the intake and inspect the roller lifters.

Bigdad, I see you have a man killer sitting on the back corner of the bench in the photo of your transmission. Glad I don't have to lug it around and use it!

That's my tattoo remover smile
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/05/21 02:46 PM

Continuing on metal replacement.
Work from home started 3-16-20, I finished the hemi and got it fired up on 4-26-20, now it's a matter of getting the rest of the car worthy.
The metal work started about 2 weeks after I got the engine running.

I had sufficient funds to hire someone do it all, and would have gladly hired it out, but was turned away by a couple formerly good sources,
and was given insane prices by the rest, so that was a turn off. All that + CV + work from home continuing set me on a path.

So far I replaced both quarters, both quarter extensions, both wheelhouse assemblies, one piece trunk floor, rear crossmember and extensions, rear bumper reinforcements with new AMD stuff,
and repaired the inner and outer rockers using self-fabricated pieces + donor vehicle items. It needs finessing but the car is looking good overall.

I test fit the new roof skin last week and it's about ready to install. The bottom pic is just the roof skin laying there, not attached....
Had to go out of town for awhile and now am trying to regroup and refocus.

I'd planned on the current time being more productive, but a few things have got in the way recently. Looking forward to more free time and am super thankful
to have an insulated and heated shop.

Might or might not start a build thread...TBH interest seems pretty limited and I have a bunch of amateurish short videos that won't post here so maybe I'll end up on another platform.

Attached picture metal1.JPG
Attached picture metal2.JPG
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/05/21 03:09 PM

We will be done for the season here in a few weeks, right now is test and tune air! Mine likely won't see much this winter if anything at all. I do have a cam to try but I should update the lifters as well, likely won't get to that.
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/07/21 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by justinp61

I'd like to pull my engine and freshen it but I'm afraid i can't get parts.

Hahaha if you say so, Justin!
Go ahead and pull it. I’ll rent mine to you. Ohhhh wait. It’s winter in your parts LOL!
Posted By: racerbychoice

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/07/21 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by maximus
Going to re-skin the dragster with a new full body. My friend Al Bergler and I already built a new fuel tank for the car. Picture has ugly old tank as purchased in June.

that is cool.
hopefully new parts delivered by santa. new ignition and converter. hopeful.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/07/21 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Schultz62
Come on Cab you must have a bunch of Hemi motors around to put into that Ford grin I say that in jest as I am slooooowly working on a 32 Ford Pickup. Looking at stroker big block Ford with tunnel ram power.

My first decent hot rod was a 1933 or 1934 Ford pickup with a 1955 Chrysler 331 C.I. Hemi in it with the original drive train, it was chop and channel right at seven inches total. It was a real tire spinner and parts breaker once I put some 7 inch cheater slicks on some 6 inch wide steel pick up wheels. That truck wasn't real fast but it was faster than most of the cars and motorcycles I raced back in the mid 1960s devil
As far as my desires on which engines to use for racing or making big street power I can make more power per C.I. with BB 400 stroker motor with good after market parts than I can with a Gen 2 Hemi blush shruggy
And I don't have to convince the Furd and Chebby guys that it ain't got a Hemi in it to get them to race it, just let them look devil
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/07/21 11:17 PM

Similar boat to DVW.

Engine is done, trans upgrades on order, car at the chassis shop, shocks all around, converter, driveshaft... then put it all together!

Plan is to be testing early 2022.. Also chasing that 8 sec slip.

Casey FJ
Posted By: lancer493

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/07/21 11:59 PM

With a little luck we should finally get to the track this coming season after a very long build. I have to complete the fuel and ignition system along with building a driveshaft being the major areas left. I'm putting the trans together as we speak. Finally, all the parts came in for that. The engine is built and anxious to fire.Car is painted and all lexan windows fabbed and installed.Full tube chassis, cage, and all aluminum interior fabbed and completed. Alignment and a little bit of brake plumbing still needed. PPP air shifter was compliments of the stimulus check.All this stuffed into a 62 Lancer that I posted on here several years ago during an earlier part of it's build while it was still painted black. When my son gets back to Fl. next month his first assignment is to help me post some updated photos on here. no tech savy here! Bill
Posted By: racerx

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/08/21 01:21 AM

Can't see building anything right now supply and demand is not that great to me shruggy i had plans to build a 526 turbo type deal but couldn't get a block .
Posted By: RAY1969CARS

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/08/21 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by sixpakdodge
Another D1 S/S car here...long term project...I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and the bottom of my empty pockets. Need pistons, oil pan, tires, and headers. Yes, that is the original 26" radiator opening...

DLI intake
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/26/21 09:07 PM

So sale of my Duster didn't go thru on multiple fronts, which I was going to use to fund my other car build....

Soooo I am building another engine for the Duster.....This engine will be one of our typical +750hp 93 octane pump gas 512 low deck engine with either EZ325 heads or EZ295 heads....We usually order them with big valves and fully ported.....Then the expense of rockers. I already had a block, oiling system, distributor, intake, brass cam gear, timing set, water pump, alternator, and pistons.

If I would have had a nice 440 block, I think I would have gone pump gas 543...I like the torque it makes.

So it looks like I will only get to a certain point with the new car....But I did buy a big Hemi block for it and I have a built trans for it. All it needs is a new billet valve body and a JW ultra bell and its ready.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/26/21 09:50 PM

Motor was new last year in mine….so, gonna upgrade to a Dana over the winter and sell my 8.75 i just put a brand new Moser pumpkin in to help with the S60 cost.
Then i will start using my brake i have yet to try.
Posted By: scottb

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/26/21 11:19 PM

Installing a new R5 P7 motor going back to a good 904 sold the powerglide my plate is done now just swing on a couple things so I can get it in the car and get everything mocked up then pull it back out to repaint the engine compartment

Attached picture 6B6B8DA5-53A7-4E94-A8A6-9BC63EFA0A33.jpeg
Posted By: Tig

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/27/21 11:02 AM

Like some on here I'm struggling to get parts, frustrating really as we are in a situation where we have the time and finance for once frown (retiring in 6 weeks or so grin ) being across the water doesn't help either. A big wheelstand ended the season early for us so we ran my wifes 68 Barracuda for the rest of the season,( and eventually got it into the 13's laugh ). Still on repairing / replacing parts from that wheelie. This winter we are replacing the old data logger and going to Racepak, we had to go to a V300 as the grid takes up a lot of sportsman channels. Long term I'm looking to finish the 655, go TH400 ( or similar), and 9" then hopefully bust into the 8's cool .

[Linked Image]
Posted By: racerx

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/27/21 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tig
Like some on here I'm struggling to get parts, frustrating really as we are in a situation where we have the time and finance for once frown (retiring in 6 weeks or so grin ) being across the water doesn't help either. A big wheelstand ended the season early for us so we ran my wifes 68 Barracuda for the rest of the season,( and eventually got it into the 13's laugh ). Still on repairing / replacing parts from that wheelie. This winter we are replacing the old data logger and going to Racepak, we had to go to a V300 as the grid takes up a lot of sportsman channels. Long term I'm looking to finish the 655, go TH400 ( or similar), and 9" then hopefully bust into the 8's cool .

[Linked Image]

Yes sir......those willies can be a crowd pleaser but get expensive tsk
Posted By: Tig

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/27/21 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by racerx
Originally Posted by Tig

[Linked Image]

Yes sir......those willies can be a crowd pleaser but get expensive tsk

Yep that's the 3rd time we've done so. Damaged the headers, oil pans, moved the fenders, bent the wheelie bars and it normally needs a front end re-alignment so somethings moving. We're taking gear out of it and likely will experiment with timing at the hit next season. What we've found is that we can set it perfectly at one meeting, at the next, it either spins or wheelstands excessively. It's just not consistent, we've also found the slicks (M/T radials) are very sensitive to track temp, so we're moving to Hoosier radials of the same size as we hear they are a little more forgiving with track temp, next time they need replacing.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/28/21 06:21 AM

Last year I tackled a minitub and spring relocation project, so I’m trying to go easy this winter. But I’m still excited to see what the changes may yield in the spring.

I’ll (Finally) be swapping out my Performer RPM for an M1. The RPM was a good choice originally when the car was in the 12’s. I’m now knocking on the 10 second door and trapping at 6600rpm; I hope the move to a decent single plane will yield some improvement on the big end. I’m also getting rid of the cars original power steering in favor of a 16:1 manual box. That should save at least 25 lbs, and improve the cars feel at the same time. I may also try to find a few pounds in the stone stock front bumper with guards and brackets.

The car ran a best of 11.07 last year. If things go well, next year just might be the year we pick up a 10-second time slip.

Also going to make some additions in the trailer. A winch, a workbench, LED lighting, and floor coating should keep me busy.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/28/21 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by StealthWedge67
Last year I tackled a minitub and spring relocation project, so I’m trying to go easy this winter. But I’m still excited to see what the changes may yield in the spring.

I’ll (Finally) be swapping out my Performer RPM for an M1. The RPM was a good choice originally when the car was in the 12’s. I’m now knocking on the 10 second door and trapping at 6600rpm; I hope the move to a decent single plane will yield some improvement on the big end. I’m also getting rid of the cars original power steering in favor of a 16:1 manual box. That should save at least 25 lbs, and improve the cars feel at the same time. I may also try to find a few pounds in the stone stock front bumper with guards and brackets.

The car ran a best of 11.07 last year. If things go well, next year just might be the year we pick up a 10-second time slip.

Also going to make some additions in the trailer. A winch, a workbench, LED lighting, and floor coating should keep me busy.

On my small block A body going from power to manual steering saved almost 39 pounds.
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/28/21 06:23 PM

Just working on the Cuda I got my friend a 1972 Pro stock that started life as a 1971 Cuda. Taking most of the stuff out that was changed after 1972 and returning it back to the car that was raced in 1972 right down to the paint scheme. Need to do some floor repair from the mods that were done over the years and that is almost done. Everything floor, roll bar, new frame connector is ready to be welded and then will build the New Hemi and either a Clutch Flite or a 727 with A&A internals and then finish the interior off. Build or rebuilding a car sure is a learning experience taking out the mistakes that were done over the years and returning it to is Division Championship form. Sure is a learning experience over the last year of so.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/30/21 01:42 AM

Switching from FAST to Holley.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/30/21 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by FastmOp

Which Holley are you going with HP or the Dom
wave
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/30/21 01:49 PM

I’ve had a big case of the “I don’t cares” and the car has sat silent since Labor Day…. at least it’s getting cool enough to where I could actually store it in the trailer now. Hopefully this spring I’ll be motivated to get out, but my closest track is 2hrs away (Vegas… never race there) and my favorite track is a 5hr pull. That’s getting a bit expensive these days. Gonna be a fire sale one day….
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Who's got build plans this winter? - 11/30/21 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY
Originally Posted by FastmOp

Which Holley are you going with HP or the Dom
wave

Dominator with the msd 600 coil on plug deal.
© 2024 Moparts Forums