Moparts

Best Anti reversion / x pipe muffler combo

Posted By: sogtx

Best Anti reversion / x pipe muffler combo - 10/17/21 01:27 PM

From looking at my intake and heads runners and ports
They were dark .

Currently have healthy six pack stroker .
With tti headers and full exhaust to stock tips
Have an h pipe with 2 1/2”
And dynomax muffs now

With trying to be somewhat stock appearing
Whats the best upgrade or x pipe to help out with
reversion without sounding like a race car at low rpm on street ?

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: Best Anti reversion / x pipe muffler combo - 10/17/21 02:22 PM

I had those mufflers, droned bad! Pypes race pros no more drone. Not louder by my ear and picked up a bit. Do not buy the violators, loud and sound bad. I have TTI X pipe. Reversion is really cam timing and intake design.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Best Anti reversion / x pipe muffler combo - 10/17/21 02:55 PM

Low restriction is the name of the game. When I put a 2.25" reproduction exhaust on my GTS I was in a hurry and used the supplied clamps. First good flat footed gear change blew the mufflers off of the intermediate pipes. Keep in mind this was the stock 383 with manifolds, etc. That really got me thinking I needed cut outs.

After the 451 went in I added the cutouts and did some dyno testing. We measured a consistent 25whp gain with no other changes.

Regardless of the tube size, cross pver type etc. your problem will persist until you have a higher flowing set of mufflers. Just my thoughts from some testing we did. Interesting subject!
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Best Anti reversion / x pipe muffler combo - 10/17/21 03:07 PM

You could try an anti reversion plate at the header merge to the exh pipe with the plate being 1/2" smaller opening than the collector.just an idea.
Posted By: gch

Re: Best Anti reversion / x pipe muffler combo - 10/17/21 09:31 PM

I can't speak on reversion at all but the only X pipe I like is Dr Gas.BEEN WAITING ON ONE SINCE JULY.

Re: Best Anti reversion / x pipe muffler combo - 10/18/21 09:39 AM

Darn
I have corresponded with Dr gas in regards to his x kit
I was hoping to put his x in frown .
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Best Anti reversion / x pipe muffler combo - 10/18/21 02:48 PM

I like these guys for exhaust parts , X pipes etc.
heartthrob exhaust
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Best Anti reversion / x pipe muffler combo - 10/18/21 07:54 PM

I've done a little exhaust system testing, your 2.5 system is not what I would stay with based on my personal experiences.
Car one is my 1969 Dart GTS with a stock stroke and bore 440 motor with a set of the old11.5 to1 TRW pistons and a set of mildly ported big valve 906 heads, TM7 intake and early production Holley 950 HP carb, Hooker 1 7/8 inch fender well A body headers with 2.5 inch pipes through a set of the Thrush 2.5 inch Corvair turbo muffs with a set of 2.5 inch tail pipes exiting in front of the rear wheels. That system was around 7 ft. long and weighed maybe 25 lbs. per side with the muffs, head pipes and tail pipes shruggy
The car ran from 12.31 to 12.23 at 112.+ MPH in runs in three hours at the old LACR track on a test and tune Friday night with the exhaust system on.
I remove the pipes and muffs and made the next run the next morning with about 300 Ft higher difference in the corrected air density, first run with no other changes it ran 11.39 ET at 117.+ MPH shock
That shock the heck out of me but it repeated near those times(11.39 to 11.41 ET) the rest of the day with the open exhaust wrench
I got beat in the 4th round and put on a set of 3.5 inch Bullet type muffs hooked directly the header collectors and it slowed down to 11.54 at 116.+ MPH work
I thought it would pick up by adding collector length, but it didn't whiney
My last pump gas car got a 3.0 exhaust system on it with those same Hooker 1 7/8 inch fenderwell headers and a set of the old Magna flow 14x7 inch oval muffs fed with 3.0 inch pipes from the 3.5 inch header collectors with 3.0 side inlet and center outlet size muffs mounted at the rear bumper. That car had a 517 C.I. Pump gas stroker 400 motor in it with a low deck six pack set up with stock type 440 vacuum carbs on it.
I raced it here locally at our 1/8 mile Madras track with the exhaust system hooked up, it ran a best of 7.01 ET at 95.3 MPH. I remove the full exhaust system after racing that afternoon and the next run was made at 10.30 AM the next day with less than 200 Ft air density differences, it ran 6.98 at 95.5 MPH with no other changes work Not worth taking the exhaust off, huh work
I would make the entire exhaust system bigger I.D. if I was you up twocents
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Best Anti reversion / x pipe muffler combo - 10/19/21 12:27 PM

Which dynomax mufflers do you have? Super turbos or Ultraflows?
HUGE difference b/t the super turbos and the Ultra Flows. If you have the Super Turbos, the best thing you can do is throw them in the trash if you're trying to make any power.

Re: Best Anti reversion / x pipe muffler combo - 10/20/21 12:28 AM

Ultra Flo

Attached picture 02DD3A19-9607-4677-B103-D951B891226C.jpeg
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Best Anti reversion / x pipe muffler combo - 10/20/21 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by sogtx
Ultra Flo

up I know some of the TTI kits came w/ the Super Turbos...that's why I asked.
© 2024 Moparts Forums