Moparts

Project Build.....Dragula Style...w/Pics

Posted By: Dragula

Project Build.....Dragula Style...w/Pics - 09/21/21 04:22 PM

So there might be rumors online that I have picked up a new (to me) project car....I can say, the rumors are true. I sold the engine out of the Duster, and I am selling the Duster and I bought somthing very different....What is it? Well I might be in a bit too deep on this one as its more than I normally tackle and I may be moving to another state next summer, but I needed somthing to do this winter.....Its just a roller right now, but here is a sneak peek.

Attached picture IMG_2072.JPG
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/21/21 04:27 PM

That's cool, I like it. Very unique up
Posted By: cuda499

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/21/21 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dragula
So there might be rumors online that I have picked up a new (to me) project car....I can say, the rumors are true. I sold the engine out of the Duster, and I am selling the Duster and I bought somthing very different....What is it? Well I might be in a bit too deep on this one as its more than I normally tackle and I may be moving to another state next summer, but I needed somthing to do this winter.....Its just a roller right now, but here is a sneak peek.

Looks awesome, what are you thinking about doing for driveline?
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/21/21 04:30 PM

Damn, that is cool. I like it alot. That will be a fun project.

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/21/21 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by cuda499

Looks awesome, what are you thinking about doing for driveline?

That's the fun part....The budget allows for a bunch of room on this one. But I would like to work that out as I go. I was on the phone yesterday with Arrington about the new G3 block coming out, and how far you can take it....There is also a running 605 Hemi and trans sitting here in my 70 Cuda that would look great with a tunnel ram and dual TBI's....Or?

I was also on the phone last week with the The Blower Shop, and 8-71's...So I guess I am open....Wedge, Hemi, G3...And when I say G3, here is what I mean:

https://www.powernationtv.com/episode/HP2012-05/newstalgia-blown-hemi

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/21/21 05:12 PM

What part of Arizona is this picture from ? work
Or am I wrong on the background and plants?

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/21/21 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
What part of Arizona is this picture from ? work
Or am I wrong on the background and plants?

Sierra Vista....
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/21/21 06:02 PM

Looks cool
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/21/21 06:22 PM

Did you buy that from Jim? That looks like the "Almost funny" Barracuda he built for Drag Week.

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/21/21 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
Did you buy that from Jim? That looks like the "Almost funny" Barracuda he built for Drag Week.

Its definitely someone he knows and its from his home town, but is not Jim's, but it is similar. I actually wanted to buy his as a roller and build my own drive train for Drag Week. I do not believe he wants to sell it just yet. But he did take his other car to Drag Week this year, So I am not sure what is up with it.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/21/21 06:54 PM

more pics please ! drool
beer
Posted By: lancer493

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/21/21 09:44 PM

I would also like to see more pics- please! Thanks, Bill
Posted By: CSK

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/21/21 10:18 PM

WOW !!!! that looks KILLER !!!! love it smile
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/22/21 10:47 AM

Cool car. IIRC there were some photos of it floating around on the web a while back.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/22/21 11:44 AM

Cool project , looks awesome.
My vote is for a Gen3 with gear drive procharger since it looks like you have the room or 605 hemi with a roots since we have lot of room on the budget
Posted By: gsmopar

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/22/21 01:30 PM

Very cool! Congrats and more pics when you get a chance.
Posted By: INTMD8

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/22/21 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
That's cool, I like it. Very unique up

Agreed!
Posted By: HOT IN AZ

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/22/21 03:24 PM

Reminds me of the Sox and Martin 66 Barracuda funny car but looks so much better. Especially with the blower hat sticking out!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/22/21 03:41 PM

Cool! up Good luck w/ it!

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/23/21 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by HOT IN AZ
Reminds me of the Sox and Martin 66 Barracuda funny car but looks so much better. Especially with the blower hat sticking out!

I am open to ideas....Kinda why I started this thread....

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/23/21 04:07 PM

ET-3 style rear wheels. the ones with the "D" shaped slots with the rib around the slot. painted to resemble oxidized magnesium. boogie
beer
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/23/21 04:20 PM

I say 605 Hemi with Stack inj
Posted By: DFlanagan

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/23/21 10:31 PM

Like these?- Wheels

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/24/21 04:03 PM

yes ! boogie
beer
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/24/21 07:04 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/24/21 08:11 PM

What I am learning, and I should have read up on it sooner, in the Drag Week rules, the chassis is not legal for A or B Gas based on the front rack conversion and the rear four link..... Kinda sucks. Was looking to maybe run it in one of those classes with this car. Not to mention some of the other rules like 11.25" wide max rear tire and no coil overs. I can tell you I am probably not changing any of that to fit the rules...In fact, I am not seeing a class it does fit. The fire wall is moved back, the front nose is stretched, and the hole in the hood goes right to the base of the window. A lot of these are no no's in the rules. ...funny how that works.
Posted By: Schultz62

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/24/21 09:46 PM

I say Dragula build it and have fun. Yes I know it's easy to say that for someone elses build. grin I say hemi with a Potvin snout driven 8-71 blower. The lengthened front end gives you plenty of room.
Posted By: DFlanagan

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/25/21 02:41 AM

Sounds like they need an old time exhibition class added.
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/25/21 08:19 PM

You could run in Unlimited, or Street Machine Eliminator. You could run easy 10.00s in SME, it's much tougher to run at the top of Unlimited. That's a very cool car, but doesn't slot very easily in Drag Week. Still surviving Drag Week is job 1. Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Posted By: birdtracker

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/25/21 09:27 PM

just tell the inspector its a rare factory one of one alter wheel base cars!!! Birdtracker
Posted By: lancer493

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/25/21 10:46 PM

Dragula, is Dragweek a must? If not, what about the Heads Up Index racing. 1/8 mile 5.50, 6.0, 6.5, and 7.50 seem to be pretty popular, and the rules are pretty open. Sounds like a perfect fit for that very cool car. I, myself am building in that direction with my Lancer as the old style look was the main reason I started this project. Specific class rules in other open classes made them WAY out of my budget. You could keep all the cool stuff ,race and still be competitive.Whatever you decide, you've got a very cool ride that you need to build and enjoy. Good luck, sir! Bill

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/25/21 11:49 PM

We will see I guess.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/27/21 12:35 PM

Cool project. Daring to be different?

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 09/27/21 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by HardcoreB
Cool project. Daring to be different?

Definitely...

And for the engine combo, I am thinking a blown 528 Hemi in this deal with an 8-71 on it....Race it on E85, drive it on 93, and have a very mild .690 lift blower cam. This kinda goes back to a discussion I started a while back as there are two ways to do this engine. Large pistons, small stroke, or large stroke, small pistons. I am leaning towards the larger pistons for valve clearance.

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 10/08/21 07:58 PM

So it goes to the chassis shop next week. The goal, get the cage updated so it certs to 8.50 and the addition of inner door panels and inner removable fenders....Already found 2-bars that are illegal in the car and will have to be removed and replaced. I also weighed the car as it sits, what a pig! its 2000lbs completely empty, so fiberglass parts are going to be needed. Obviously, the hood is a big culprit.

I also pulled the low back seats out and put the high back seats from my '70 Cuda in it, and dropped them right to the floor. So now I fit in there better, but the steering column is tool long. I need a seat with neck support if we put as much HP on board as i think we might. Also tried to fit my old radiator from my Cuda in there, and it needs a little persuading. I also put a PPP shifter in there and pulled out a switch panel that was in the trans tunnel. Going with a Leash setup for the whole car.

I will take pics when I get it back from Veto's

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 12/13/21 12:37 AM

Looky what showed up at the shop....

Attached picture IMG_20211211_115849.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20211211_115854.jpg
Posted By: BigFish69

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 12/13/21 02:56 AM

Looks like callies showed up I also got one for christmas

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 12/13/21 03:20 AM

Yes, Callies block. It looks really nice. Been trying to research a stroker kit for it, but so few sights have enough info on them to figure it all out on my own. Was looking for a billet crank 528 with the small 2.2 journals and about 9.5:1 compression pistons for a reasonable price. Seems like all the billet cranks use a 1.031 pin with the large Mopar journals. Not sure if I need to go that way or not at a shade under 1500hp....

Its going to be a bit before I build it. I thought I had my other car sold a number of times, and each time I got ghosted, so I am building a new 512 for that car as well as upgrading the wiring on it and the interior. Going to do a pump gas 512 with lightened crank and the usual Indy heads.

I always feel broke doing this stuff, but I still feel like I am living a dream....Just wish I had more money!!

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 12/13/21 03:58 PM

Just use a 440source crank. I have been extremely fast with one.

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 12/14/21 02:33 AM

[quote=Dragula]Yes, Callies block. It looks really nice. Been trying to research a stroker kit for it, but so few sights have enough info on them to figure it all out on my own. Was looking for a billet crank 528 with the small 2.2 journals and about 9.5:1 compression pistons for a reasonable price. Seems like all the billet cranks use a 1.031 pin with the large Mopar journals. Not sure if I need to go that way or not at a shade under 1500hp....

Its going to be a bit before I build it. I thought I had my other car sold a number of times, and each time I got ghosted, so I am building a new 512 for that car as well as upgrading the wiring on it and the interior. Going to do a pump gas 512 with lightened crank and the usual Indy heads.

I always feel broke doing this stuff, but I still feel like I am living a dream....Just wish I had more money!! /quote]
That block looks a lot like the World iron blocks looked likework
Good luck on this build up

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 12/14/21 03:54 PM

Should be fun...
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 12/14/21 04:17 PM

It should look nearly identical other than the machine work.
It's cast at the same foundry (Dalton) and from the $ame Chry$ler tooling as in 2008.

Congrats on the block Randy.
I remember talking about it back when they first came out through MP/World.

If you sonic it, I'd love to see the numbers posted, and it might help a few folks decide they want one.

The two I checked were super thick esp considering they were both 4.500 and up, but I never
said anything about that activity, as some people here can be ridiculous.

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 12/14/21 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY

It should look nearly identical other than the machine work.
It's cast at the same foundry (Dalton) and from the $ame Chry$ler tooling as in 2008.

Congrats on the block Randy.
I remember talking about it back when they first came out through MP/World.

If you sonic it, I'd love to see the numbers posted, and it might help a few folks decide they want one.

The two I checked were super thick esp considering they were both 4.500 and up, but I never
said anything about that activity, as some people here can be ridiculous.

Its a really clean looking casting. They definitely used some nice tooling when they cast it. The decks look like nearly an inch thick. Machining looks good too, but we have not checked any of it yet. If the money allows, this will become a 528 blown Hemi with an 8-71 on it. I wanted one before they disappear again or the price goes up again.....I would love a wedge version as well, but I have to save what I have for the chassis updates. The guy who welded the cage, is not a chassis guy and it all got cut out. Putting a Moly 8.50 certed cage in it right now.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 12/16/21 02:35 PM

IMHO you are really going in the right direction, both body and motor๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ Trend makes DLC coated . 990 x . 205 wall piston pins, which I would think might be enough? $ 600 for them though. Any clue what this will weigh? Could it run fast brackets , Quick Sixteen?

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 12/16/21 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by gregsdart
IMHO you are really going in the right direction, both body and motor๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ Trend makes DLC coated . 990 x . 205 wall piston pins, which I would think might be enough? $ 600 for them though. Any clue what this will weigh? Could it run fast brackets , Quick Sixteen?

Well, its funny you ask, because I actually know what it weighs as a roller, and I was shocked....Its already 2000lbs with no drive train! I had it scaled the week I got it. I noticed, after the fact, the rear frame was mandrel bent 2x4 steel instead of the usual 2x3! The damn thing has a Truck sized frame under it!

So my plan is to run this beast on Meth with an 8-71 and make around 1200hp at 12psi or so....So the only things not decided are 528 or 540, and what rotating assembly? Blower will be TBS, and injection will either be Killer Rons or Alky Digger.....With EFI added later.

I just ditched the stock dash and put in a glass one, plus a moly cage....Gonna watch weight where ever I can.

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 12/31/21 10:18 PM

So the new cage is in. Along with the new fiber glass dash. Looks nice. The old one had to be cut out. It was really bad.

Next problem was seated position and leg room....There just isn't any leg room with the fire wall so far back. I made the decision today to just cut all of it out. The fire wall, the trans tunnel, the floors, everything.

We will then set the engine and trans in it and then the seat and determine where the engine has to be and the new fire wall...What a mess.

Can't live with it the way it is. Trans tunnel is way too big and cramps my foot area bad.

There are so many awesome builds out there, this is where you have to get it right, or you end up selling the car because you hate it. And right now I hate the lack of leg room and how tight everything is. This is especially true for street strip car.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 01/01/22 06:47 PM

Being comfortable in a car is a BIG deal to me. It was the mainreason I sold the Stratus. The new truck most folks cant reach the pedals smile y Valiant was the same way

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 01/08/22 10:32 PM

Sooooo..No pictures is a bummer....I blame my GF for last week having no pictures as the camera was DOA.....This week, I have picturres, and honestly, there was more car last week, than this week....But I could not live with the interior the way it was, and the cage was a disaster...But we are finally making progress...even though it doesn't look like it.

Attached picture DSC07697-1.jpg
Attached picture DSC07696-1.jpg
Attached picture DSC07695.JPG
Attached picture DSC07700-1.jpg

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 01/08/22 10:35 PM

Few more..

Attached picture DSC07702-1.jpg
Attached picture DSC07701-1.jpg
Attached picture DSC07704-1.jpg
Attached picture DSC07706.JPG

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 01/08/22 10:37 PM

Maybe one or two more...

Attached picture DSC07708.JPG
Attached picture DSC07710.JPG
Attached picture DSC07709.JPG

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 01/09/22 02:56 AM

Cool project. Should run strong

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 01/09/22 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by FastmOp
Cool project. Should run strong

Its a long way from running...
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 01/09/22 03:52 AM

That is gonna be a neat little Hot Rod! drive boogie

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 01/09/22 04:00 AM

I can imagine the tall injection stacks sticking up through that hood up bow
Are you going to use EFI with the tube type injection?
I would. up: twocents

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 01/09/22 02:51 PM

Randy
That will be a head turner for sure! I know your in the middle of "fixing" it but I notice it doesn't have any horizontal triangulation, do you plan on putting any in?
Posted By: feets

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 01/09/22 04:40 PM

The bones look pretty good now. Gonna be awesome.

Being the looney I am, I'd be in a real fight over painting the body or just clearing it as-is. biggrin

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 01/09/22 07:29 PM

me thinks you may have had something other than taking pictures on your mind with your GF, then just blamed her for no pictures ! devil whistling biggrin
JUST KIDDING ! laugh2

a question if i may, how close to the rear end is the rear driveshaft loop ? TIA ! bow
and i really LIKE that car ! up
beer

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 01/25/22 01:50 AM

Few more pics....from today.

Attached picture DSC07731.JPG
Attached picture DSC07730.JPG
Attached picture DSC07728-1.jpg
Attached picture DSC07729-1.jpg

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 01/25/22 06:02 PM

up
beer

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 01/25/22 06:21 PM

Sorry, its not much. I think I need a sponsor.....or at least a winning lottery ticket this hobby eats money.

Comes home this week, and becomes a lawn ornament for a while. Might see if I can get the drive train mounted and then headers built next.

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 01/25/22 07:00 PM

i hear ya on the money eating thing !
that's why my forever project humpback and my charger is taking forever to get anything accomplished.
the hospital and docs need their "fair share"............[at least that's how it is in my case]
beer

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 01/31/22 05:57 PM

So the lawn ornament comes home this week....I will see if I can get some updated pics this weekend, but honestly, I need to get my butt in gear and get my Duster running ASAP for the start of the season and I can't do both....But I still want to mount the drive train in it. Anyone got a BB to 727 JW unit? I need one for the trans that is going in the lawn ornament.

Other that that, its as I said I was going to do....I had the cage cut out and put in a moly one, along with the firewall & floor and had some cross braces put in where needed and the frame gusseted. New dash is mounted, and next will be seats and pedals, then either fuel stuff and wiring, or the crazy headers I want to do...

This is the biggest project I have ever taken on, and I feel a little bewildered by it. I mean, there is nothing mounted to this chassis yet. Let alone, paint and body work and trim.....But it should be pretty cool when close to done. Will it fit the nostalgia rules, doubt it, maybe change some stuff in the future depending if its easy enough...Its purpose, is to be a nostalgic blown street & strip car....I can have fun with.

As far as pedals go, what do you guys like? Looking for a nice firewall throttle and brake pedal...

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 02/14/22 01:18 AM

Very cold here this week. Not going to get a break in temp for a while. Tough to work on stuff at these temps...I also forgot to mention the trans tunnel around the bell is removable and the cowl that was cut out for the blower has been filled back in.as the engine has been moved forward cause I needed the foot well room.

So I still need pedals, JW for BBM, and I have a question, can a set of lightening rods work with a RMVB 727?

Attached picture DSC07738-1.jpg
Attached picture DSC07737-1.jpg
Attached picture DSC07736.JPG
Attached picture DSC07735.JPG
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 02/14/22 11:34 AM

I looked into lightning rods a couple years ago. There is a place that sells there version that works with RMVB at a reasonable cost
https://www.kilduffmachine.com/
The original Hurst ones are rare and expensive.

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 02/14/22 01:33 PM

I have been looking at those....Weird how it needs a reset....

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 02/14/22 05:34 PM

There was a customer car (mopar) here last spring that had that shifter with RMVB (street car) Seemed to work well although I only drove it around the block.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 02/14/22 05:41 PM

I have been looking at those....Weird how it needs a reset....

I have a car that had one of those shifters in it, TH400. Worked fine with RMVB. Not sure exactly what you mean by "reset it" but if you mean down shifting its pretty simple. Can go one at a time or use the large handle, closest to you. You do not have to use the smaller handles to shift either way if you dont want to. The reverse lockout is the only thing thats "clunky"

[Linked Image]

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 04/04/22 01:45 PM

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1965-barracuda-street-strip-awb.1259212/

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 04/04/22 02:53 PM

I tried to buy his before I bought mine....Love Squirrels car...He is currently doing some upgrades to it..

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 04/04/22 02:58 PM

fair price on it I think

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 04/04/22 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by bigdad
fair price on it I think

Well, I could sell mine and go the finished car route if anyone is interested....Would have rather had his in the first place.

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 04/05/22 12:28 AM

Well I listed it just in case there is a chance to own Jim's...Won't be for sale for long though...

Re: Project Build.....Dragula Style - 04/05/22 01:01 AM

Priced right i know how much work it takes to get to that point
© 2024 Moparts Forums