Moparts

Drag Week Tech Day

Posted By: Bad340fish

Drag Week Tech Day - 09/12/21 10:00 PM

Not much to add, as always a good amount of Mopars for the given amount of cars. The Gebharts have Mopar Billy's Valiant entered with his Brother Boon driving and his Daughter Rachel riding with him. Dale is riding with his Son Billy in the Ruster Duster, the Gremlin is blown up so they only have two cars this year. Saw Jericho GTX and Hemi Joel made it, although I think Joel's car is having fuel delivery issues. I haven't seen a total car count yet, they had a pretty hefty amount of wait list cars and people that just showed up and they let them all in. The tech line went from the starting line of 131 all the way out the gate to the street at one point so its gotta be close to the 400 because when I saw the line that long I had already teched and I was nowhere near the first one in. I am horrible at taking pictures and this sight is horrible for getting them off my phone but I will relay them over to my computer and add them sometime this evening.

You tube live feed will be up tomorrow morning at 8am eastern.

I will try to add some stuff from each day but I probably won't the days are long but the week is short and time gets all jacked up when you are racing for 5(hopefully) days straight.
Posted By: Schultz62

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/12/21 10:16 PM

I pray Joels car fuel delivery issue is figured out!!
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/12/21 10:24 PM

I'm going to try to watch as much of the live feed I can. Freiburger posted there are close to 400 cars there.

Next year even if I don't get in I'm showing up if they really do just let everybody at the gate in each time. Joel mentioned it before and it sounds like that's always the case!

Good luck everybody!!!
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/12/21 11:07 PM

I raced in an event( Funny car Nationals) Fri/ Saturday at 131.
Didnt leave till after midnight. Saw drag week trailers coming in during the whole evening, and US131 was packed from that event. Funny cars, Bob Motz, Mid west drag racing series(20 or so Pro Mods among other stuff)
Lot of stuff going on to turn the place around for today.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/12/21 11:16 PM

My esteemed Trunk Monkey Jerico GTX and I made it to drag week with the coop. I saw that squirrel was here but I didn't get a chance to talk to him. Tony's here with his small block Mopar pickup. We saw Dale and Boone and Rachel and talked to them for a while.
I did some test and tune at Stanton last night and had a fuel delivery issue that kept the car from running well.
It was going lean about the time I hit third gear and was off by 15 mph. We tried fiddling with a bunch of things and changed the plugs and messed with the fuel pressure regulator, but nothing helped. I was actually contemplating whether or not I should throw in the towel, because I didn't want to hurt the motor by running it lean and if it can't make a clean pass there'd be no reason to continue.
This morning we found that the inlet screen on the fuel pump had gone into the rotors and chewed them up.
So I replaced the pump today. Hopefully that solves it.
I got the car through tech. One of the NHRA tech inspectors didn't believe that my cage was legal because it didn't have down bars protruding through the rear of the cab and down into the trunk. I showed him the sticker that certifies it is legal and I showed him the paperwork certifying it and explained to him it was designed to be legal and was fully approved. He wasn't buying it so he brought another inspector over and eventually they passed it. Thankfully!
I wasn't able to make a pass today, by the time I got into the staging lanes they were closed. So tomorrow morning, my first pass of the event will be a test. If the fuel pump swap doesn't solve it, I really don't know what I will try next.
Here's a picture of the car in the tech line.

Attached picture PXL_20210912_190417441~2.jpg
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/12/21 11:24 PM

Good luck guys! wave
Posted By: GY3

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/12/21 11:39 PM

Will have the feed up at work all week cheering you guys on!

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/12/21 11:44 PM

A small sampling of the Mopars I saw. There is many many many more but I am a bad picture taker. Normally my wife takes pictures of everything on the planet so I don't. But my wife isn't here so I need to start taking more pics this week lol.

The little red express truck was super cool. It is either limited to 10.00 because its to slow or a license issue, or its in unlimited class. They have two tech lines, Street Machine Eliminator/Unlimited and the other lane is everyone else. This truck was in the first mentioned like so its one of those two classes.

The blue fastback barracuda is the junk I have had for 27 years.

Attached picture IMG_7055.jpg
Attached picture IMG_7056.jpg
Attached picture IMG_7057.jpg
Attached picture IMG_7061.jpg

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/12/21 11:46 PM

Sorry for the sideways pictures, they work normal EVERYWHERE BUT HERE

Disclaimer i did not see under the hood of the dart with the turbos under the bumper. Never know when one of those sneaky LS engines might show up.

Attached picture IMG_7062.jpg
Attached picture IMG_7066.jpg
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/12/21 11:48 PM

Good luck to all of you!!!!
Posted By: 68shifter

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/12/21 11:50 PM

Good luck everyone!

If anyone needs anything I’m about 10min from the track. A lot of Mopar stuff, mig/Tig/plasma, plenty of tools, and trailers if you need assistance. Feel free to call or text.
Andre
269-303-6002

For those there. Exit 49b just 5 min south of the track has plenty of restaurants and parts stores and a small speed shop.
Lane Automotive is an hr SW and has stuff on par with Jegs/Summit.

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/12/21 11:50 PM

Surprised they are doing tech on the entry road into the track. Usually its done by the ET shack on the pit side of the track. No wonder cars are backed up to get in
Had events with 700-800 cars and always tech on other side. Must be Drag Week’s idea

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/12/21 11:57 PM

All the tow vehicles are parked on that side and that is where they will be impounded for the week so it might of had something to do with that. We got to the track at 6:15AM and there was quite the mess with the drag week line and the 80ft long rigs trying to leave from the previous event, it resolved itself rather quickly though.

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/13/21 12:03 AM

They put out the word a number of times Saturday night that everybody had to be gone by 6am. I know some of the pro teams were not happy about that..lol
Glad everybody got cleared out!

Some of the final rounds didn't run until 1:30- 2am.

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/13/21 12:34 AM

There was still some there at noon lol.
Posted By: greendart408

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/13/21 01:11 AM

Did anyone see Rick Trunkett with his turbo sbm duster? Been having him remote in and help me tune my w8, f2 deal. Said he was going, I don’t want to bother him so I didn’t ask if he made it.
Posted By: ksj

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/13/21 03:21 AM

I "Thought" I may have seen his car in a pic that was shared. Sent him a FB message to find out. There was one Duster that sure looked like Josh Kings.

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/13/21 03:33 AM

He got in.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/13/21 11:24 AM

i'll be keeping a scope on that 68 power adder dart looks interesting. cool
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/13/21 12:23 PM

Good luck yall! up
Posted By: greendart408

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/13/21 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by racerx

It is or was a sbm, w5 head deal last I read about it. Neat

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/13/21 04:58 PM

2 major oil downs already today at 131
Posted By: furious70

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/13/21 06:35 PM

badfish went 10.55 i think
ksj 8.91!
Ruster 10.50?
Valiant 10.50?

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/13/21 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by greendart408

2 swings and a miss on it, huge wheelie first pass

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/13/21 06:43 PM

Joel went 10.15 in the coupe as well, saw Jeff post it.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/13/21 08:41 PM

Working hard to stay in , more later.

Attached picture PXL_20210913_201436181.jpg
Attached picture PXL_20210913_203746778.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/13/21 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
Dang them Ford rear ends, huh whistling stirthepot grin
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/13/21 10:52 PM

The turbo maroon Dart is pretty nice, saw it at a car show out here this spring. Has anybody seen where they are selling 2021 DW shirts?, the Motor Trend site has generic DW shirts, no date.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/13/21 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
Dang them Ford rear ends, huh whistling stirthepot grin

Reinstalling the driveshaft. We had the rear seal on the transmission push out.

Got it fixed, and on the road again. Couple hours to go until we get to our hotel. Hopefully...
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/13/21 11:41 PM

Keep us posted Jeff! wave

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/14/21 12:56 AM

My Dad and I made it to the hotel around 6:15ish. Car did well today 10.54 which matches my best drag week ET that was in better air. Drive went pretty well and we are ready to head to the track in the morning.

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/14/21 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by furious70
Originally Posted by greendart408

2 swings and a miss on it, huge wheelie first pass

Hope he get it together ,looks to be a strong contender for his class.

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/14/21 02:02 AM

Somehow I missed the Coupe....work musta gotten in the way for a minute!
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/14/21 11:27 AM

So many cool cars. What is ksj driving that went in the 8's?

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/14/21 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
So many cool cars. What is ksj driving that went in the 8's?

NA fox body with an LS of some sort I think. Definitely NA.

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/14/21 11:18 PM

KSJ Is on the couch watching the live feed. He is a Mopar Guy though so if he was racing it would be his Challenger or Dart

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/14/21 11:22 PM

Another Good Day, my car went 10.53@126.9 which is a drag week best for me. Norwalk is such an awesome place! Got to the gate around 6:30 and Bill Bader Jr himself was working, they let us in to form lines and I overheard a 7:00 AM Sharp entry time. At exactly 7:00AM they let us in the pit area. That just not something I am used to from a Drag Strip.

Joel has made it to his hotel as well. I am sure he might post some details.

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/14/21 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
KSJ Is on the couch watching the live feed. He is a Mopar Guy though so if he was racing it would be his Challenger or Dart

Does KSJ even have a car that can run 8’s in the 1/8th mile??? LOL!

Just kidding Don. Was hoping you would come to the event again.

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/15/21 01:10 AM

Right in the feels buddy. I might not recover from that jab.LOL. New job, cant find help etc even coming up for even a day doesnt look good.Retire in two years and I'll be back. Who knows I might even have something MUCH quicker than I have now. Be a small block,three pedal,NA deal and I might raid some guy with a 73 Cuda and 69 Dart stash that he know longer is using.LOL

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/15/21 01:26 AM

Did the 68 Dart with the sb/BB power adder make a past today? Tune in @ 7 am this morning and watch it for a few hours til i hand to run a few errands.
Posted By: moparjoe360.4

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/15/21 02:19 PM

Did the 68 Dart with the sb/BB power adder make a past today? Tune in @ 7 am this morning and watch it for a few hours til i hand to run a few errands.

The maroon one? He did make a pass, 9 something if I remember correctly. I was at the track watching and everything seemed to blend together.

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/15/21 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by moparjoe360.4

The maroon one? He did make a pass, 9 something if I remember correctly. I was at the track watching and everything seemed to blend together.

Yes that's it......Thanks up did you catch the combo? BB/SB?
Posted By: johnnycuda

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/15/21 06:42 PM

The maroon turbo Dart went 8.94 on his second pass today, it is a SBM, single turbo, someone said W5 setup?

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/15/21 11:09 PM

Yes that's it......Thanks up did you catch the combo? BB/SB?

He has small twins under the front bumper with a small block. Not sure what size or heads though. I’m thinking he went 9.12 at Norwalk.

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/16/21 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX

Does KSJ even have a car that can run 8’s in the 1/8th mile??? LOL!

Just kidding Don. Was hoping you would come to the event again.

I don't know why I thought that screen name went with that Mustang. Wasn't there someone on here that did have Fox body stuff as well?
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/16/21 01:27 PM

Attached picture D23C5D55-E3CC-4338-A49C-0DADB6573458.jpeg

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/16/21 04:42 PM

Clark just pulled a nice wheelie and ran 10.59 so it's back together
Posted By: burdar

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/17/21 06:12 PM

Big wreck. Hope he's OK. I love that Javelin even though it's LS powered.

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/18/21 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by burdar

Its good old Big Block Chevy Powered, terrible to see it crash either way. He has already had another Javelin offered to him by another drag week guy.

They ended up with three wreck today, in rather short order. If I hadn't seen how thorough the US 131 crew was with prep and cleanup I would blame the track, but I don't think that is the case.

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/18/21 03:37 AM

Its good old Big Block Chevy Powered, terrible to see it crash either way. He has already had another Javelin offered to him by another drag week guy.

They ended up with three wreck today, in rather short order. If I hadn't seen how thorough the US 131 crew was with prep and cleanup I would blame the track, but I don't think that is the case.

Jay Grabiak’s crash was from a stuck throttle. I talked to him afterwards, and he’s alright, and already coming up with a plan to fix the car. He’s a great guy. He was there with his kids.

Not sure the cause of Jackie’s crash, but it happened right in front of her husband, that was running in the other lane. Someone local had an exact same year, and color Mustang, and already sold them the shell, for $500 to fix the car. They too are wonderful people. Hate to see things like that happen, but the most important thing was everyone walked away.

It’s funny, the more you are a part of these events, the less brand loyalty matters. It’s one big family. Proof of that was at the award ceremony, and the Spirit of Drag Week was handed out. It was very fitting.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/18/21 12:32 PM

Watching the live feed it sure looked like a lot of smoke coming out of the right header by the back tire. It started smoking right before the back end came around. I hope he does fix it. That's a mean looking car.

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/18/21 02:22 PM

Watching the live feed it sure looked like a lot of smoke coming out of the right header by the back tire. It started smoking right before the back end came around. I hope he does fix it. That's a mean looking car.

iagree Looks like just past the 330' then it took a hard right.

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/18/21 09:09 PM

Watching the video 1320 has on YouTube it looks like he got out of the grove a little bit towards the wall on the left and the car made a hard right turn. They also said he told them when he braced for impact he accidentally hit the throttle.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/18/21 10:49 PM

https://youtu.be/azSbgOYzxtk

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/19/21 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX

Jay Grabiak’s crash was from a stuck throttle. I talked to him afterwards, and he’s alright, and already coming up with a plan to fix the car. He’s a great guy. He was there with his kids.

Not sure the cause of Jackie’s crash, but it happened right in front of her husband, that was running in the other lane. Someone local had an exact same year, and color Mustang, and already sold them the shell, for $500 to fix the car. They too are wonderful people. Hate to see things like that happen, but the most important thing was everyone walked away.

It’s funny, the more you are a part of these events, the less brand loyalty matters. It’s one big family. Proof of that was at the award ceremony, and the Spirit of Drag Week was handed out. It was very fitting.

Jackie said on facebook that it got loose in shutdown, didn't expand on it much more than that.

After those incidents people sure were using the chutes more!
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/20/21 03:19 PM

Watching the video 1320 has on YouTube it looks like he got out of the grove a little bit towards the wall on the left and the car made a hard right turn. They also said he told them when he braced for impact he accidentally hit the throttle.

There was some speculation at the track that he had lifted a head and let some water out.

He definitely had it turned up!

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/21/21 02:33 AM

That definitely happened to the Mid America Kustoms guys in their green new edge Mustang too. I guess they had a shot at getting 3rd overall and turned it up for their last pass at Martin, but it wheelied, then spit out a head gasket and you saw them dump water on the track in the feed. lol
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/21/21 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Blusmbl
That definitely happened to the Mid America Kustoms guys in their green new edge Mustang too. I guess they had a shot at getting 3rd overall and turned it up for their last pass at Martin, but it wheelied, then spit out a head gasket and you saw them dump water on the track in the feed. lol

That's exactly why you should keep it under a 250hp shot when you spray the Fury!
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Drag Week Tech Day - 09/24/21 02:28 PM

Here is an account from Jim Forbes who drove his altered wheelbase Chevy II from Arizona and back. This thing is so period correct it has points!

Jim also has a Barracuda gasser that he has raced at Drag Week. While he has not been on for a while he is a member here, user name Squirrel. Photo of the Barracuda is attached.

http://selectric.org/dw21/index.htm...flWH5jjXT7q57lHWAdqGmC3URMFP3qsZSQVyOp20

Attached picture 003-hot-rod-drag-week-1966-barracuda.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums