Moparts

BB stroker cam thoughts

Posted By: gch

BB stroker cam thoughts - 09/06/21 12:58 AM

I have everything I need for my "big" (lol) motor build except rods, pistons and camshaft. Motor will eventually find its way into a 68 Chrysler 300 street car. It will be automatic and 3.23 gears. I could go crazy but I want to drive it and not worry about it. Torque is the name of the game and hp will fall where it may.I have Hooker Super comp headers that are 1 3/4 primary and 3" collectors.3" pipe to an x pipe then 2.5 out the back. Intake choices are port matched Holley street dominator, edlebrock ch 28 two four, or weiand tunnel ram grin(not likely as I don't have a second hood lying around).Leaning toward the holley and have 4 barrel carbs(4150) from 750-1000cfm.Converter will likely be an 11" street unit that I have several of.Has a full msd ignition and nitrous plate kit on the car already. If I do use any giggle juice it will be a 100 shot.Car has a stockish 440 with edelbrock heads and a small cam now.Has been sitting for 6 years (inside) and once I get everything checked out and some maintenance/upgrades in place I can start putting the motor together.
I have a set of cnc ported edelbrock heads and harland sharp 1.5 rollers for this engine.
I am leaning towards a solid cam. It will run on pump gas and have enough vacuum for power brakes.Has A/C as well. Motor will likely be 4.35(or wherever it cleans up at) bore and I have a 4.25 stroke crank already.If I shift it at 5500rpm it will be fine with me but that will fall where it may as well.
I have considered the comp https://www.compcams.com/xtreme-energy-244-252-solid-flat-cam-for-chrysler-383-440.html as a default type cam but curious to what others with stroker experience recommend. I will likely call Dwayne as well for his input.

If I left pertinent info out ask away. Thanks in advance ,
George
Posted By: gch

Re: BB stroker cam thoughts - 09/06/21 01:02 AM

I have thought about the old magnum grind as well. It may be a tad small but then again that might be what I need for a smooth reliable torque monster.
https://www.compcams.com/magnum-236-236-solid-flat-cam-for-chrysler-383-440.html
Posted By: bee1971

Re: BB stroker cam thoughts - 09/06/21 02:22 AM

Torque is the name of the game ?

Correct me if I am wrong , but that intake or any of those intakes with that camshaft choice - First post

Doesn’t look like a very Torque is the name of the game
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: BB stroker cam thoughts - 09/06/21 03:26 AM

With a heavy car, 11 inch converter, 3.23 gears and AC you need professional advice. Since your situation will require very good low speed manners, a cam that is about one step over a stock 440 hp cam plus a couple degrees for the extra cubes would sound about right to me. Also the lobe seperation will be critical. You mentioned talking to Dwayne Porter. I agree. He can pick out a cam and matching parts that will do what you need.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: BB stroker cam thoughts - 09/06/21 07:20 AM

I would call Dwayne and buy the cam through him also twocents
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: BB stroker cam thoughts - 09/06/21 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

I agree. Without a doubt, call Dwayne and let him spec a cam for you. He speced a cam for a 505 rb that’s in a hevy 4200 lb b body with power brakes and it runs 11.50’s at track, made 609 hp on dyno and is really very streetable. I couldn’t be happier with his cam!
Posted By: topside

Re: BB stroker cam thoughts - 09/06/21 02:50 PM

Might want to look through the posts from "feets" on his 540" motor for his Imperial.
I really don't think you'll need more than one good carb, and I probably wouldn't go more than 850 CFM.
Something more like an Eddy AVS2.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: BB stroker cam thoughts - 09/07/21 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chargerfan68
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

I agree. Without a doubt, call Dwayne and let him spec a cam for you. He speced a cam for a 505 rb that’s in a hevy 4200 lb b body with power brakes and it runs 11.50’s at track, made 609 hp on dyno and is really very streetable. I couldn’t be happier with his cam!

iagree Best thing you can do is call Dwayne.
© 2024 Moparts Forums