Moparts

McCormack Racing and Mickey Thompson

Posted By: Sammy

McCormack Racing and Mickey Thompson - 07/28/21 07:19 PM

Just heard that Mickey Thompson hasn't shipped a tire to McCormack Racing in over 3.5 months now.
They have no ETA for them. Other nanufacturwrs are getting tires out no problem.
Posted By: topside

Re: McCormack Racing and Mickey Thompson - 07/28/21 07:37 PM

I think Coker bought M/T, didn't they ?
Lots of wheels from companies that Coker bought are also back-ordered.
Not sure it's their "fault" - I see a lot of empty space on store shelves nowadays.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: McCormack Racing and Mickey Thompson - 07/28/21 07:47 PM

Talked to the M/T rep at Martin this weekend. He said they are making tires but way behind filling back orders. Said most end up going to Jegs/Summit currently. They grab what they can for the trucks to support the racers at he track. M/T was sold to Cooper tire the end of 2020 then Goodyear bought Cooper so now Goodyear owns M/T. They are bringing production back from England to the states and have a TON of B/O to fill. I can tell you the new tires we picked up look different than any we have ever had. Oh yeah they hold air too smile
Posted By: Tig

Re: McCormack Racing and Mickey Thompson - 07/28/21 08:44 PM

Last I heard the Cooper tyre factory in Melksham England re-started production for M/T about a year ago, after a US based factory suffered some fire damage.I don't know whats happened since but everyone is over here is having real trouble getting M/T tyres.
The guys I used to get them from have given up trying to get them. Hoosier tyres don't seem to have that problem. I'm on my last set of M/T radials but the general consensus is that the Hoosier equivalent, that most have been switching over to, is more consistent with the varying track temps we have over here.
Posted By: KD800X

Re: McCormack Racing and Mickey Thompson - 07/28/21 09:49 PM

Mickey Thompson tires used to be made by Denman Tire just outside of Akron Oh. the same people were were making the Firestones which is now Phoenix.

When Denman quite casting racing tires 8 or 10 years ago American Racing Tire in Indiana Pa starting casting both brands.... Now they are both made in Tennessee.

Phoenix is way behind also... no one is immune from employee shortage.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: McCormack Racing and Mickey Thompson - 07/28/21 11:37 PM

Maybe they can start building tires that are actually round. I have had 2 sets of 295/65-15 drag radials that were egg shaped. One tire was particularly bad. I think I can squeak by until next year. Maybe all this will have blown over by then.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: McCormack Racing and Mickey Thompson - 07/29/21 12:06 AM

I agree. when my M/T's are cold they feel like they are out of round or get flat spots from sitting.

Re: McCormack Racing and Mickey Thompson - 07/29/21 12:29 AM

M/T have never ever failed me , for as long as I started buying them. Way back
Posted By: 496 A-body

Re: McCormack Racing and Mickey Thompson - 07/29/21 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sammy
Just heard that Mickey Thompson hasn't shipped a tire to McCormack Racing in over 3.5 months now.
They have no ETA for them. Other nanufacturwrs are getting tires out no problem.

I'm not sure where you heard that but it is far from being true.
Yes MT has certain tires on national backorder that McCormack has been waiting on since March, to say they haven't been shipped a tire in 3-1/2 months is BS.
See pic below, ordered on Monday of this week, arrived yesterday

Attached picture MT1432.jpg

Re: McCormack Racing and Mickey Thompson - 07/29/21 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by 496 A-body
Originally Posted by Sammy

I'm not sure where you heard that but it is far from being true.
Yes MT has certain tires on national backorder that McCormack has been waiting on since March, to say they haven't been shipped a tire in 3-1/2 months is BS.

What size slicks are those?
McCormack says they had a few different sizes left over from before M/T was having manufacturing and shipping issues.
Posted By: 496 A-body

Re: McCormack Racing and Mickey Thompson - 07/29/21 01:40 PM

14 x 32
Posted By: moparx

Re: McCormack Racing and Mickey Thompson - 07/29/21 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by 496 A-body

maybe the way those tires are "strapped" causes out of round issues ? shruggy
beer
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: McCormack Racing and Mickey Thompson - 07/30/21 02:02 AM

I like the M/T ET street R radial in a 325/50. Couldn't find any couple months ago, so bought the pro bracket radial. Just seen a pair of the street R's on ebay, $788/pr. Ouch, last time i bought them they were about $500/pr 2 years ago. Whats going on with these prices? I understand everything is more expensive, but really?
© 2024 Moparts Forums