Moparts

Where to get a good distributor cap?

Posted By: Hot 340

Where to get a good distributor cap? - 07/26/21 11:39 PM

For a mopar distributor? These unribbed ones dont work well at all.

Attached picture 20210726_192220.jpg
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 07/26/21 11:41 PM

I just bought another Accel 8320. Tan in color, brass terminals, they always serve me well.
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 07/26/21 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
I just bought another Accel 8320. Tan in color, brass terminals, they always serve me well.
is it ribbed?
Posted By: topside

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 07/27/21 12:03 AM

Accels for me too. Never had an issue with them.
I believe they are ribbed, can't recall the last time I had one off !
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 07/27/21 05:48 AM

I just threw some new, original caps away. I took them to the last swap meet and tried to sell them for a few bucks each but nobody was interested. One guy wanted to know if they were for a dual point distributor. I have no idea if dual points used a different cap, not sure why they would so I told him I didn't know.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 07/27/21 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by AndyF
I just threw some new, original caps away. I took them to the last swap meet and tried to sell them for a few bucks each but nobody was interested. One guy wanted to know if they were for a dual point distributor. I have no idea if dual points used a different cap, not sure why they would so I told him I didn't know.

The cap and rotor are different between the stock single point and stock dual point distributors, the dual point caps have the carbon from the coil wire going to the flat rotor. The single point caps have a brass pointed thingy( CRS proper name (blush) and the rotors have a flexable thin blade that pushes up against the brass contact scope shruggy
As far as the Accel caps, the new ones, both types, are smooth inside now whiney puke
Posted By: dragon slayer

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 07/27/21 12:34 PM

Chrysler caps whether point or electronic also have a cut out notch in cap for phasing on the tab on the vacuum can. Prestolite dual points have a molded protrusion that fits into the cutout of the clamp bracket, besides the differences Cab mentioned.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 07/27/21 07:41 PM

NAPA ECH M020

Copper, not ribbed, vented, USA.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 07/27/21 07:48 PM

Forgive my ignorance, what is the rib, and why does it matter?
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 07/27/21 09:39 PM

Ribs inside the cap to help prevent crossfire.

[Linked Image]

I've used them both ways. As long as the cap is vented and the rest of the secondary ignition is in good shape, there shouldn't be an issue if they aren't there.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 07/27/21 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by BDW
Forgive my ignorance, what is the rib, and why does it matter?

Internal ridges between the terminals, it’s sometimes used to reduce flashover arcing from the rotor to a WRONG cylinder’s terminal. I’ve been using unribbed caps with a MSD for 16 years without a problem.
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 07/28/21 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by AndyF
I just threw some new, original caps away.

I'd taken them if I'd seen them.
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 07/28/21 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister
NAPA ECH M020

Copper, not ribbed, vented, USA.

NAPA is the only cap and rotor I buy. up

Tim
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 07/30/21 03:45 PM

caps with aluminum terminals are the least desirable but will work. most performance caps are brass. the only copper caps i've found are blue in color and although copper is the best people won't buy the caps because of their color. to my knowledge nobody makes a ribbed cap anymore. i'm not certain the ribs are a big deal but the newer caps do have the vent which i like.
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 07/30/21 04:32 PM

Echlin ECH AL124 pic shows black cap with ribs and looks like aluminum terminals? while specs say brass but no vent. The ECH MO20 pic shows a tan cap, no ribs, and a vent with brass terminals which is listed in the specs. work

Tim
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 07/31/21 01:01 PM

The ribs also help in damp locations. Had an issue where rain water would fall on the back of the motor and the steam would get in to the cap and cross fire. Get the Accel 8320 you won't be sorry!
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 07/31/21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Moparite
The ribs also help in damp locations. Had an issue where rain water would fall on the back of the motor and the steam would get in to the cap and cross fire. Get the Accel 8320 you won't be sorry!
all the new 8320's i have don't have ribs anymore, but they do have a vent.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 07/31/21 06:08 PM

if one were to add a vent hole to a B/RB cap, how large a hole should be added, and where would be the best location for that hole ?
could the hole be added to the side of the cap ?
beer
Posted By: bee1971

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 07/31/21 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by I_bleed_MOPAR
Echlin ECH AL124 pic shows black cap with ribs and looks like aluminum terminals? while specs say brass but no vent. The ECH MO20 pic shows a tan cap, no ribs, and a vent with brass terminals which is listed in the specs. work

Tim

ECH MO20 is an excellent cap along with rotor ECH MO3000
Posted By: Mcode69

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 08/08/21 10:01 AM

Accell here with the brass terminals, HI-6 ignition burns up the aluminium terminal caps in short order.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 08/08/21 05:03 PM

I've used 1/4 inch and 3/8 on the top and or on the sides between the plug wires up
I'm almost sure most bracket motors don't need them unless their making over 800HP at WOT twocents
Posted By: moparx

Re: Where to get a good distributor cap? - 08/10/21 04:19 PM

thanks CAB ! bow
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums