Moparts

Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator

Posted By: Sammy

Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/25/21 03:43 PM

Had a little mishap and threaded nipple broke off.
This thing is on good.
I made a tool to hold cover in place but this nippers will not budge.
Should I hit it with some heat?
The problem is there's rubber o rings inside and they surely will get distorted

Attached picture Screenshot_20210725-114556_Gallery.jpg
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/25/21 04:11 PM

What’s the chances of placing in a press and removing the snap ring?
Posted By: HemiDart68

Re: Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/25/21 04:23 PM

they are called Easy out / screw extractor. can get it at auto parts or amazon.
Posted By: Chief

Re: Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/25/21 04:25 PM

Make a tool to fit in the hole on each side of the nipple. Then get a easy out on it to screw it out.
Simple, only take a little time to do it.

Dave
Posted By: markz528

Re: Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/25/21 04:30 PM

Its a bit of a pain, but take the snap ring off and take the plate off. I have done it numerous times. I clean my accumulator every so often. Then you can put some heat on it (not too much) and I would put vise grips on it and see what happens.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/25/21 05:12 PM

Get a pipe easy out. They have a hex head and a short extractor spline. I use them at work a lot, they rarely fail.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/25/21 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by markz528
Its a bit of a pain, but take the snap ring off and take the plate off.

iagree EZ-Outs are marginal in brass and you'll get shavings inside the accumulator.

Re: Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/25/21 05:40 PM

Its a bit of a pain, but take the snap ring off and take the plate off. I have done it numerous times. I clean my accumulator every so often. Then you can put some heat on it (not too much) and I would put vise grips on it and see what happens.

Those snap rings just flat out suck. I bought the lisle heavy duty snap ring tool. I don't see how it's going to help taking it off.
I won't be able to keep the retainer from moving around.

Re: Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/25/21 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
Its a bit of a pain, but take the snap ring off and take the plate off.

iagree EZ-Outs are marginal in brass and you'll get shavings inside the accumulator.

I guess I could put great on the eyes out. I do have the full snap on extractor kit.
I did try visegrips and it doesn't budge.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/25/21 06:11 PM

1) remove snap ring
2) remove plate
3) clamp plate in vise with soft jaws on faces of plate
4) take die grinder and grind two slots in nipple 180 degrees apart
5) collapse nipple with hammer and punch
6) chase threads and clean all debris from plate
7) install plate
8) install snap ring
9) done
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/25/21 06:39 PM

You could try sliding a properly sized long socket into the brass fitting and then use vice grips to clamp onto it hard and screw it out. The socket will keep it from collapsing while you try and clamp onto it.

Probably best to do what the guys above are recommending, so you can clean the cylinder while it's apart.

Re: Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/25/21 06:50 PM

2 seconds of heat. Waited 1 minute. 2 more seconds of heat. Visegrips loosened it right up.
I had a extra set of rubber o rings just in case. This was a new never used accumulator. No need to clean anything inside yet. Thanks. I did have the o ring pliers ready to remove if I had to. Thanks guys.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/25/21 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sammy
2 seconds of heat. Waited 1 minute. 2 more seconds of heat. Visegrips loosened it right up.
I had a extra set of rubber o rings just in case. This was a new never used accumulator. No need to clean anything inside yet. Thanks. I did have the o ring pliers ready to remove if I had to. Thanks guys.

up

Re: Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/25/21 10:15 PM

Went to hardware store and got a 1/2"x close nipple.
The other end in the shutoff valve came out with a EZ Out fairly easy.
All back together. Waiting to assemble in the car tomorrow. Way too humid.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/26/21 01:16 AM

I've done this once and used a square cold chisel that fit in the fitting. I tapped it in and the square corners bit into the fitting enough to hold while I twisted it with an adjustable wrench.

You could probably make a removal tool out of a piece of scrap metal - even a bolt that's oversize - grind the end square and tapered and tap it into the fitting.
Posted By: tex013

Re: Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/26/21 03:45 AM

must be the day for it , i had a holley power valve shear off when going to undo it today at work.

Tex
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/26/21 07:08 PM

Take the snap ring out. Takes the right tool and two hands. I took mine apart at least once a year and cleaned it out. You will be amazed (disgusted) at the trash those things collect.

Clamp the end plate up, use some heat and a good easy-out. Worst case you'll have to drill it, knock the pieces out and fix the threads.

ETA...failed to read all the way...but it still should be cleaned out occasionally.

Re: Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/26/21 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Take the snap ring out. Takes the right tool and two hands. I took mine apart at least once a year and cleaned it out. You will be amazed (disgusted) at the trash those things collect.

Clamp the end plate up, use some heat and a good easy-out. Worst case you'll have to drill it, knock the pieces out and fix the threads.

ETA...failed to read all the way...but it still should be cleaned out occasionally.

Thanks. It was new never used so I just hit it with 2 seconds of heat on each side. Resting 30 seconds on each heat .
Whatever thread sealer they used was on good. It melted and it came right off.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/27/21 05:41 PM

glad you got it out. up
broken brass can be a real pain at times to remove, especially if over-tightened, causing stretched and/or galled threads.
beer

Re: Best way to remove this copper broken nipple on Accumulator - 07/27/21 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
glad you got it out. up
broken brass can be a real pain at times to remove, especially if over-tightened, causing stretched and/or galled threads.
beer

Tell me about it.
I thought the other end was going to be worse.
It wasn't.
Moroso puts some crazy thread sealer on the fitting.
© 2024 Moparts Forums