Moparts

Manley Head bolts/Indy SR heads

Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Manley Head bolts/Indy SR heads - 07/22/21 09:35 PM

Do the Manley head bolts for Indy SR cyl heads have washers under them or are they used with out washers? Engine was brought to me disassembled, in a box, with the bolts, but no washers. I know that ARP's use washers, not sure about Manleys.

Brian
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Manley Head bolts/Indy SR heads - 07/22/21 11:43 PM

Yes they should have washers. All aluminum heads should have washers.
Posted By: superbee69

Re: Manley Head bolts/Indy SR heads - 07/22/21 11:59 PM

I bought the indy EZ head kit years ago and there were no washers with the supplied bolts, still have them .
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Manley Head bolts/Indy SR heads - 07/23/21 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by superbee69
I bought the indy EZ head kit years ago and there were no washers with the supplied bolts, still have them .

This is also an older kit, probably 12-13 years old. The Manley bolts are a flange head style that could be used with out washers. The concern is, if I add the washers, will the thread engagement be enough. BUT, if it didn't have washers to begin with, it has worked just fine for all these years with out them, not really trying to re-invent something here.

Brian
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Manley Head bolts/Indy SR heads - 07/23/21 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by rickraw
Yes they should have washers. All aluminum heads should have washers.
iagree up
All aluminum parts should have washers on the fasteners, intake manifolds, valve covers, master cylinders, all of them up
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Manley Head bolts/Indy SR heads - 07/23/21 04:31 AM

Tell the customer time to buy some ARP head bolts.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Manley Head bolts/Indy SR heads - 07/23/21 04:52 AM

I forgot to mention that I quit using Manley head bolt kits for all BB Mopars years ago, they were a one time use and then throw away, they would torque good once and then stretch really bad on the next use down
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Manley Head bolts/Indy SR heads - 07/23/21 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I forgot to mention that I quit using Manley head bolt kits for all BB Mopars years ago, they were a one time use and then throw away, they would torque good once and then stretch really bad on the next use down

I second this! One time use ONLY.

Re: Manley Head bolts/Indy SR heads - 07/23/21 02:54 PM

Manley sells a lot of really nice hard core race parts but bolts isn't one of them. Their bolts are a lowest bidder type of deal with rough threads. Just put ARP bolts (or studs) on the engine and call it good. Your customer will thank you later.
Posted By: RATTRAP

Re: Manley Head bolts/Indy SR heads - 07/23/21 04:23 PM

1 1/2 x the thread diameter is min standard for thread engagement in steel, 3x in Aluminum is standard but almost never followed.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Manley Head bolts/Indy SR heads - 07/23/21 05:13 PM

Their bolts are a lowest bidder type

That's why Indy was using them. And Indy's "cut to size" pushrods were crap too.

Re: Manley Head bolts/Indy SR heads - 07/23/21 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Stanton
Their bolts are a lowest bidder type

That's why Indy was using them. And Indy's "cut to size" pushrods were crap too.

That is true. I remember the first time I got a kit of parts from Indy, roughly 25 years ago. Set of EZ heads and they came with the Manley bolts. The engine builder I was working with at the time looked at the Manley bolts, tossed them in the recycle bin and told me to buy some ARP bolts.
© 2024 Moparts Forums