Moparts

don't laugh

Posted By: 440lebaron

don't laugh - 07/15/21 03:02 PM

hi, can i replace the air in my tires with helium to make the car lighter
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: don't laugh - 07/15/21 03:23 PM

Technically yes grin However it would be immeasurable on a racecar scale cool BTW Nitrogen would also do the same thing as far as weight. But sense the air we breathe is composed of more nitrogen than oxygen it would be almost statistically insignificant.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: don't laugh - 07/15/21 03:30 PM

I’ve found out the easiest way to lose weight in a race car is for the driver to go on diet. And even that isn’t easy.
Posted By: topside

Re: don't laugh - 07/15/21 03:46 PM

Back in my tunnel-hull boat racing days, we thought of doing that in the sponsons, thinking the boat would always be on plane and lighter.
But the added weight of containment would likely offset any gains.
I think the entire discussion contained laughter...
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: don't laugh - 07/16/21 12:10 AM

Nitrogen molicules are bigger than O2 molicules and won't loose pressure like O2 does, especially when sitting up
they don't expand with heat or shrink with cold either up scope
Posted By: Wirenut

Re: don't laugh - 07/16/21 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Nitrogen molicules are bigger than O2 molicules and won't loose pressure like O2 does, especially when sitting up

Correct and that’s while circle trackers use it.
Don’t know if it would benefit us
Posted By: John Brown

Re: don't laugh - 07/16/21 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Wirenut

It might make your wallet lighter.....
Posted By: usp4u

Re: don't laugh - 07/16/21 12:33 PM

Not really. Dont forget the regular atmosphere you are currently pumping in your tires is already 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, 1% various other gases
Posted By: 69hemibeep

Re: don't laugh - 07/16/21 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by usp4u

Not really. Dont forget the regular atmosphere you are currently pumping in your tires is already 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, 1% various other gases
I have yet to see anyone try to collapse a tire to get all the air out before filling with nitrogen so it is still a mix
Posted By: jughed

Re: don't laugh - 07/16/21 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by usp4u

That translates to, barring a puncture, a cut, a broken valve, etc., a tire will only deflate to the 78% level.....??
Posted By: one bad fish

Re: don't laugh - 07/16/21 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

I’ve found out the easiest way to lose weight in a race car is for the driver to go on diet. And even that isn’t easy.
lmao
Posted By: wyoming

Re: don't laugh - 07/17/21 04:21 AM

Nitrogen, Oxygen, and air are all 1.38 on the Ideal Gas laws, the heat ratio of all three are 1.38
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: don't laugh - 07/17/21 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming
Nitrogen, Oxygen, and air are all 1.38 on the Ideal Gas laws, the heat ratio of all three are 1.38

thank you up

It's incredible how much pseudo-scientific baloney is accepted as fact. Next up, "the coolant is moving too fast through the radiator to shed heat" rolleyes
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: don't laugh - 07/17/21 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming

What does this mean confused help
© 2024 Moparts Forums