Moparts

Another one bites the dust

Posted By: CSK

Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 02:41 AM

Very sad day, I knew this was coming but now its a reality, my home track will be no more
https://houstonraceway.com/

Attached picture Screenshot (134).png
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 02:55 AM

Is there another track fairly close? Seems like these “super tracks” are dropping like flies
Posted By: gsmopar

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 03:17 AM

We may have to lift the ban threads about street racing.

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by J_BODY
Is there another track fairly close? Seems like these “super tracks” are dropping like flies

There is an 1/8 mile one, but it is very unsafe to me, the closest 1/4 is San Antonio, 2.5 hour drive, then Ennis [ Dallas] 4 hours, there was a 1/4 30 min away, but they closed down about 3 years ago

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by gsmopar

Might be my only choice LOL smile
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 07:56 AM

Where’s that’s track with all the gunfights. That sounds like fun.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Yello Belly?
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by gsmopar

LOL!
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 11:30 AM

Hahaha! But that’s free entertainment in addition to spectator/race entry costs! Shame isn’t it?!
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by bobby66

Yello Belly?

Yaa that’s it. Lol 😂
Posted By: A/MP

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 01:51 PM

Fewer places to race+ EPA no mods on any cars+ factory hot rod packages+ trillion dollar infrastructure/highway builds=race wherever you want. I think that Wally's plan was nothing more than a speed bump in the American reality. So as not to get arrested for street racing, remember to wear a mask and hang your fist outside your window like Wild Willy Borsch and start a FB go fund me page, create your own Twitter bomb and a defunded police departments. Street racing whenever/wherever you want. Charles Dickens, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair." ....."GENTLEMAN, START- YOUR- ENGINES!!!!"
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 02:00 PM

The track was sold for development.

There is an 1/8th mile track in North Houston (HMP) and in Sealy (about 1 hour west of Houston) there is Hennessy Motorsports and their 1/4 mile track.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 02:32 PM

I thought the Hennessey/Lonestar track was no longer open to the public?
Posted By: moparx

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 04:39 PM

well now that sucks ! down
i know how you feel, as i felt the same way when my "home track" [NU-BE dragstrip] closed in 1983.
beer
Posted By: 416challenger

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 04:44 PM

Hennessey/ Lonestar Motorsport Park is no longer open. Alamo City Motorplex (Former San Antonio Raceway) is doing well and has regular races and test and tune.

IMPORTANT:
Due to our growing automotive businesses and the need to test our vehicles, Lonestar is no longer open to the public and is not for rent.
Thank you for your understanding.
– John Hennessey, Owner

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by 416challenger
Hennessey/ Lonestar Motorsport Park is no longer open. Alamo City Motorplex (Former San Antonio Raceway) is doing well and has regular races and test and tune.

IMPORTANT:
Due to our growing automotive businesses and the need to test our vehicles, Lonestar is no longer open to the public and is not for rent.
Thank you for your understanding.
– John Hennessey, Owner

1/8 HMP is not all that great to me, the burnout box is uphill & then when you crest over the hump people are standing all over in the way, My problem is I cant travel very far & then try to make passes & get home, my Charger is a street car, Houston was still a pretty long trip for me 140ish miles round trip & that was almost more than I could handle, looking more & more like I will sell the Charger frown
Posted By: cspracer

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 05:18 PM

This along with Atlanta (Commerce) shutting down this year is two really big markets that NHRA will be missing. Rumors around here is NHRA is looking for a new location closer to Atlanta, but that is hard to believe given the cost of real estate here. Maybe south of the city. I hate to hear that for the good folks of Texas.
Posted By: onyxba

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 05:49 PM

Evadale raceway evadale texas is a quarter mile track, About 100 miles from houston. If it ever stops raining maybe we can race again.

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by onyxba
Evadale raceway evadale texas is a quarter mile track, About 100 miles from houston. If it ever stops raining maybe we can race again.

Thanks I had forgotten about this Track, BUT its still 140 miles one way for me, I am in Katy Tx
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by cspracer
This along with Atlanta (Commerce) shutting down this year is two really big markets that NHRA will be missing. Rumors around here is NHRA is looking for a new location closer to Atlanta, but that is hard to believe given the cost of real estate here. Maybe south of the city. I hate to hear that for the good folks of Texas.

Brad Ocock, president of the North Ga. Swap Meet, mentioned in his last news letter that he was looking for property for another strip. I don't know if he is involved with the NHRA in this quest or is just looking to build a local strip. shruggy Even a small, local strip would be nice.
It is sad that Atlanta Dragway is closing. I've been going up there since shortly after it first opened back in '75 .My grandson likes to go to the swap meet with me and I'm thinking about taking him to a Friday T&T to see how he likes it.

Tim
Posted By: GY3

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 08:22 PM

Yello Belly?

I was by there a couple of years ago.

It looks sketchy even during the daylight hours.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 10:26 PM

Im not hearing good things about Maple Grove...
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/15/21 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by GY3

Yello Belly?

I was by there a couple of years ago.

It looks sketchy even during the daylight hours.

I remember a video posted on YB years ago. Guy went up and made a pass and when he got back to his trailer there was a bullet hole in his driver's door.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/16/21 03:41 AM

I hear good things about Extreme Raceway down in Ferris and maybe Redline over by Lake Ray Hubbard is open again. I sure miss Kennedale but nothing lasts forever. I can't afford street racing, too many hidden costs these days.......... drive
Posted By: Gtxxjon

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/17/21 06:56 PM

Shakespeare County raceway UK!

Ran my first 10 second run there in 2001.

Sadly gone too...

The birthplace of the modern English language violin

''Now is the winter of our discontent''
And no GLORIOUS SUMMER will come for us now...

Attached picture Shakespeare-County-Raceway.jpg
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Another one bites the dust - 07/17/21 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by I_bleed_MOPAR
Originally Posted by cspracer

Brad Ocock, president of the North Ga. Swap Meet, mentioned in his last news letter that he was looking for property for another strip. I don't know if he is involved with the NHRA in this quest or is just looking to build a local strip. shruggy Even a small, local strip would be nice.
It is sad that Atlanta Dragway is closing. I've been going up there since shortly after it first opened back in '75 .My grandson likes to go to the swap meet with me and I'm thinking about taking him to a Friday T&T to see how he likes it.

Tim

When I talked to Brad in April, he was just looking for a place to hold the swap meet. Not necessarily to build a race track. Maybe he has expanded his thinking on this?
© 2024 Moparts Forums