Moparts

Single layer steel shim head gasket?

Posted By: HotRodDave

Single layer steel shim head gasket? - 07/07/21 01:29 AM

Anyone ever run just a single layer steel shim head gasket with aluminum heads on iron blocks?
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Single layer steel shim head gasket? - 07/07/21 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by HotRodDave
Anyone ever run just a single layer steel shim head gasket with aluminum heads on iron blocks?

Pretty sure the 028 gasket i ran on my old 360 the last 4 years was a steel shim Mr Gasket single layer.
Eddie heads, stock 360 block. No issues.

https://www.manciniracing.com/mrgathstshhe.html
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Single layer steel shim head gasket? - 07/07/21 05:52 AM

Yep, stock .017 thick Fel Pros on several B and RB builds with both 440 Source and Eddy RPM aluminum heads with no issues so far luck
9.44 to 10.5 to 1 compression made to run on Oregon 91 octane non ethanol pump gas.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Single layer steel shim head gasket? - 07/07/21 08:31 AM

I'm running a single steel shim on my street car. I bought a Cometic gasket & just used the outer layer since they have all the right embossing grooves on them.
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: Single layer steel shim head gasket? - 07/07/21 11:22 AM

I ran Mopar Performance and than later the Mr. Gasket ones for years. The engines I used them on were never decked so I used them to help up the compression. Never had an issue with them.

Re: Single layer steel shim head gasket? - 07/07/21 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by rebel
I'm running a single steel shim on my street car. I bought a Cometic gasket & just used the outer layer since they have all the right embossing grooves on them.

I have done exactly this with iron heads and block but am a little scared to try it with aluminum heads butt that is exactly what I am contemplating right now (6.4 BGE with single layer from each head gasket to give a cheap compression and quench boost). I guess since the heads are not really that hard to swap on these I will probably just give it a shot and put regular ones back if I have a problem.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Single layer steel shim head gasket? - 07/07/21 05:39 PM

Been running a 440 with Eddy heads on a motor I built for a friend. Going on 4 years with single layer shim. 10.0-1 never a problem.
Doug
Posted By: hemienvy

Re: Single layer steel shim head gasket? - 07/07/21 05:53 PM

What is the advantage of these one-piece shim type gaskets ?

Are they just cheaper ? Do they hold more pressure between an iron block and iron heads ?

Better at withstanding higher temperatures ?

Less sensitive to surface finish ?

Re: Single layer steel shim head gasket? - 07/07/21 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by hemienvy
What is the advantage of these one-piece shim type gaskets ?

Are they just cheaper ? Do they hold more pressure between an iron block and iron heads ?

Better at withstanding higher temperatures ?

Less sensitive to surface finish ?

They seem to last extremely long times, I still pull apart 440 340 318 273s... with the original ones still functioning. They should survive overheating better as they expand and contract at pretty much the exact same rate as the iron block and head. They are cheap. You don't lose any compression if you are low on compression ratio, if you got an engine like a 77 400 or 318 4bbl "cop engine" than your already bad compression ratios turn to Briggs and Stratton compression ratios if you put on thicker composite head gaskets.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Single layer steel shim head gasket? - 07/07/21 09:30 PM

It can be done but the failure rate is pretty high. The OEMs tried using steel shim gaskets when aluminum heads first came out and the warranty returns just about killed them. Eventually they developed the MLS gasket which solved the problem.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Single layer steel shim head gasket? - 07/08/21 02:54 AM

Yes, 11:1 here and no issues
Posted By: rebel

Re: Single layer steel shim head gasket? - 07/08/21 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by rebel

I have done exactly this with iron heads and block but am a little scared to try it with aluminum heads butt that is exactly what I am contemplating right now (6.4 BGE with single layer from each head gasket to give a cheap compression and quench boost). I guess since the heads are not really that hard to swap on these I will probably just give it a shot and put regular ones back if I have a problem.

I've been running the same gaskets for 8 years now with Stage 6 heads on an iron block. I did have the heads off about 3 years back but a spray with copper coat & they went back on, still no issues. I'm running 11;1cr on pumpgas.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Single layer steel shim head gasket? - 07/09/21 06:20 PM

I am using a mr gasket shim with iron block and eddy heads, no issues. I did it to get compression up. The gasket already had some kind of coating -- looked like silver paint (maybe like silver BBQ paint), so I didn't add any additional coating to it. If it were uncoated I would either use BBQ paint or copper spray.
© 2024 Moparts Forums