Moparts

Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing

Posted By: Clanton

Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 06/29/21 09:24 PM

I need to shop for a certed helmet and I looked quick on summit and J&J in huron Ohio where I got my last in 2009 now out of cert.I forgot how this works I need a snell sticker on the helmet with a mfg date of 2020[M2020]? to be the latest ?
Help out a stupid person pls.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 06/29/21 09:42 PM

Do you need a helmet certified for S/P or faster? I don't remember the exact SFI spec codes, sorry blush
If not a open face helmet with the newest SFI certed date will stay in certification the longest.
My last one I bought last year was dated made in 2015, no S/P SFI certified 2020 helmets were in stock whiney shruggy
I think mine is good to 2025, when I turn 80 yrs . old shruggy grin

Re: Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 06/29/21 10:32 PM

I only plan to go 9.90 in Pro class at the weekend brackets.I dont think a SFI is mandated just snell
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 06/29/21 10:56 PM

Might want to peruse the rule book before you go. 9.99 is where a lot of stuff gets added.

Re: Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 06/29/21 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by slantzilla
Might want to peruse the rule book before you go. 9.99 is where a lot of stuff gets added.
I had a link to an online version with updates but I lost it.My car is good to 8.50[will never see it]I had all cloths to go that but I am getting belts,cage cert,helmet.

Re: Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 06/30/21 12:48 AM

I was looking at this HJC 1502-635 helmet that has a snell rating but no date for the rating like 2020 or even 2015 look at the info sheet. Data info

Re: Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 06/30/21 12:56 AM

I had to look it up on the snell website it is 2015 link to snell list
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 06/30/21 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Clanton
I was looking at this HJC 1502-635 helmet that has a snell rating but no date for the rating like 2020 or even 2015 look at the info sheet. Data info

The helmet you linked to says Snell M2020 right in the specs. M means motorcycle helmet which probably will not work for drag racing. Tech guys will usually be looking for a SA2020 rating on the helmet. I think most tracks would also accept an SA2015 which is the previous rating.

Re: Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 06/30/21 01:34 AM

I have been using an M2010 HJC Cl-16 for the past 10yrs so I think it will be okay.ty
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 06/30/21 02:54 AM

Full face helmet mandatory all cars 9.99 (1/4) or quicker.

"For all 9.99 and quicker closed bodied cars, a full faced Snell M2010, M2015, M2020, SA2010, SA2015, or SA2020 helmet mandatory; shield permitted."

Generally, helmets go out of date 12 years after the sticker date. Personally I wouldn't use an MXXXX helmet.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 06/30/21 04:07 AM

I have been using an M2010 HJC Cl-16 for the past 10yrs so I think it will be okay.ty

Probably work okay for street legal drags or local bracket racing. I don't think it works if you show up at a NHRA divisional race with a motorcycle helmet. I know one guy who had an issue like that but maybe it depends on what mood the tech guy is in.

Re: Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 06/30/21 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by AndyF

Probably work okay for street legal drags or local bracket racing. I don't think it works if you show up at a NHRA divisional race with a motorcycle helmet. I know one guy who had an issue like that but maybe it depends on what mood the tech guy is in.

The motorcycle rated helmet should pass tech for most classes. But why would you use one? The SA is for automobile racing. They are tested differently.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 06/30/21 07:48 AM

I had an HJC with a DOT tag and date but no Snell tag. Coles County bounced it. 8 second 1/8 mile bracket car.

Re: Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 06/30/21 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Originally Posted by AndyF

The motorcycle rated helmet should pass tech for most classes. But why would you use one? The SA is for automobile racing. They are tested differently.
My goal of this post was to know the stickers and where to find them and what they mean and in my link to a helmet I know what I am looking at and can see what I can find for an SA helmet and the cost is not that 250$ is out of range I am just getting started looking.ty for your input all of you.
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 06/30/21 02:09 PM

This should be good till the end of the season. I also have an M2010 snell helmet, and my NHRA tech guy said I would need a new one next year.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 06/30/21 02:13 PM

From my understanding. the crash protection is very similar between an M and SA rated helmet. The primary difference is an SA rated helmet will have a fire retardant liner while M's do not. If I remember right at 11.49 you need a fire jacket and at 9.99 you need fire pants, so at that point it doesn't make sense to use an M rated helmet even if the tech inspector doesn't care.

Re: Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 06/30/21 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Blusmbl
From my understanding. the crash protection is very similar between an M and SA rated helmet. The primary difference is an SA rated helmet will have a fire retardant liner while M's do not. If I remember right at 11.49 you need a fire jacket and at 9.99 you need fire pants, so at that point it doesn't make sense to use an M rated helmet even if the tech inspector doesn't care.

I have window net,Neck collar,gloves,shoes,pants,jacket.Thank you for your input.

Re: Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 06/30/21 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by FlyFish

This should be good till the end of the season. I also have an M2010 snell helmet, and my NHRA tech guy said I would need a new one next year.
ty for the info!

Re: Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 06/30/21 11:24 PM

"The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while the M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

1 The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
2 The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than the M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
3 The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi-impact test while the M standard does not."

Some sanctions do not even allow M rated helmets for auto racing.

Re: Helmet? snell or ECE cert for racing - 07/01/21 01:43 AM

Thank you for the informative information!
© 2024 Moparts Forums