Moparts

Rod bearing damage???

Posted By: 8urvette

Rod bearing damage??? - 06/11/21 02:39 AM

I pulled my motor that has been having issues with no oil pressure at startup for seconds. The main reason i pulled the motor was to fix some oil leaks. I had the pan off and figured id check the bearings just to see.... what do you guys think? I can feel the lines with my fingernail but cannot catch them.

Attached picture 20210610_172725.jpg

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/11/21 02:40 AM

another bearing

Attached picture 20210610_173158.jpg

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/11/21 02:41 AM

and what is up with the crank radius here?

Attached picture 20210610_173450.jpg

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/11/21 02:41 AM

last bearing pic

Attached picture 20210610_173158.jpg
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/11/21 02:51 AM

Yuck!!!! I don’t like what I see.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/11/21 03:21 AM

It sure looks like the final finish on that crank was a little off.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/11/21 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by 4406bbl
It sure looks like the final finish on that crank was a little off.

This ^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: Moparteacher

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/11/21 05:00 AM

Looks like you had dirt in the oil, Maybe missed cleaning an oil passage or something during the build. or no filter, or ineffective filter on the crankcase.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/11/21 07:05 AM

I would NOT reuse those bearings tsk twocents
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/11/21 10:30 AM

I’ve seen damage on bearings just like that from shops that don’t have the proper tools to run through the bores after a bore and hone. I think my shop calls it a broach. It cleans all of the grit that gets stuck in the microscopic groves of the cly wall after a stone hone. I really clean my cly bores with ATF and a clean paper towel till it comes back with no color except red. It looks like grit got in your oil somehow.
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/11/21 03:34 PM

What crank are you running, and do you have the correct bearings for it? I tore down a small block stroker that someone else built not too long ago. Scat crank had filet journals, but whoever built it put regular width bearings in with no chamfer. Result was one spun rod bearing and some others looking like your pic. It is time to go through your motor for sure.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/11/21 03:49 PM

Do all the rods look like this ?
Do the mains look like this ?
How do the piston skirts look ?
How about can bearings and cam journals ?

In other words, what good and what’s bad in the engine.

If this wear is confined to the rods and mains the gallery’s were likely contaminated. Could have been media from block tumbling, honing oil that had metal in it that was not cleaned, etc.

We need more info.

The bearings look to be the narrow bearings, wide bearings would crowd the journal radius.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/11/21 07:11 PM

dirt/debris
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/11/21 07:49 PM

To help determine the dabris take the filter apart and use a magnet in the pleats to see just how much/what you get
Posted By: wyoming

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/12/21 12:14 AM

Agree with others, contamination, probably all at start up

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/12/21 12:27 AM

Lack of oil pressure on startups isn’t helping the issue. I would want that resolved before it goes back together. Check to make sure all pipe plugs are installed, heck pickup to bottom of pan clearance, install a magnet in a safe place, check your crank thrust clearance with your at it, what kind of oil filter?
Posted By: 440_Offroader

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/12/21 03:11 PM

Check your connecting rod side clearance as well. Looks like some hot spots on the side of the crank throw.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/12/21 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Lack of oil pressure on startups isn’t helping the issue. I would want that resolved before it goes back together. Check to make sure all pipe plugs are installed, heck pickup to bottom of pan clearance, install a magnet in a safe place, check your crank thrust clearance with your at it, what kind of oil filter?
maybe an anti drainback filter like the Wix 51515R will help speed oil psi on startup.
Posted By: procharged 484

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/12/21 10:31 PM

Are the threads in that rod ok , looks funny to me .

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/13/21 01:40 PM

I pulling the crank and taking it to the shop. Talked to the machinist and he says he will polish it out. So Ill be replacing bearings for rods and mains.

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/13/21 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by 8urvette
I pulling the crank and taking it to the shop. Talked to the machinist and he says he will polish it out. So Ill be replacing bearings for rods and mains.

While it’s apart scrub, scrub, and scrub EVERYTHING again.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Rod bearing damage??? - 06/13/21 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 440_Offroader
Check your connecting rod side clearance as well. Looks like some hot spots on the side of the crank throw.

iagree
© 2024 Moparts Forums