Moparts

Aerospace mandrel snafu

Posted By: birdtracker

Aerospace mandrel snafu - 06/05/21 03:47 PM

So added a Moroso vac pump to the engine. Ended up trying an Aerospace mandrel with 2 pulleys. One for the alternator and one for the vac pump. Pulleys align perfectly. The only issue is the only thing to roll the motor around with is the small allen head bolt that holds the end cap on. Anyone come up with a solution other than tig welding an aluminum nut to the cap? thanks Birdtracker
Posted By: Sammy

Re: Aerospace mandrel snafu - 06/05/21 04:29 PM

Your only option is pulling spark plugs or putting remote starter buttons in engine bay.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Aerospace mandrel snafu - 06/05/21 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sammy
Your only option is pulling spark plugs or putting remote starter buttons in engine bay.
iagree scope
I use the starter with the plugs in with a long wire remote starter button to set the valves on most of my cars up wrench

Re: Aerospace mandrel snafu - 06/05/21 05:31 PM

my wife says I am hard headed. I even thought about milling flats on the end cap so a 12 point socket would go on. Birdtracker

Re: Aerospace mandrel snafu - 06/05/21 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by birdtracker
my wife says I am hard headed. I even thought about milling flats on the end cap so a 12 point socket would go on. Birdtracker

That bolt isn't even grade 8.
I'm sure too much torque and you'll snap it, right off.

Re: Aerospace mandrel snafu - 06/05/21 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sammy
Originally Posted by birdtracker

That bolt isn't even grade 8.
I'm sure too much torque and you'll snap it, right off.

exactly. Thought maybe someone came up with something that worked better. Birdtracker
Posted By: Moparteacher

Re: Aerospace mandrel snafu - 06/06/21 04:19 AM

Several manufacturers make a hex nut for 1' and 1.125: crank mandrels. Look at Jones Racing.

CS-6103-A for 1.125" mandrel.
CS-6103-B for 1" mandrel.
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: Aerospace mandrel snafu - 06/06/21 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Moparteacher
Several manufacturers make a hex nut for 1' and 1.125: crank mandrels. Look at Jones Racing.

CS-6103-A for 1.125" mandrel.
CS-6103-B for 1" mandrel.

Yes, jones racing.

Re: Aerospace mandrel snafu - 06/06/21 04:48 PM

That nut with key way might actually work if you can fit it in the frontof all your pulleys .
But I wonder if you would break off the keyway with the amount of force needed to turn over a engine especially with crazy compression.

Attached picture Screenshot_20210606-124612_Chrome.jpg

Re: Aerospace mandrel snafu - 06/06/21 05:03 PM

as of right now I think I am going to drill the bolt out to 1/2-13 , and mill the round off flat on the end cap. Then of course use a grade 8 bolt. That will leave me using a 3/4 socket. Birdtracker
© 2024 Moparts Forums