Moparts

Dave Dudek

Posted By: quickd100

Dave Dudek - 05/13/21 11:40 PM

I saw he ran a 9.63@145 and change in his FAST 71 Hemi Cuda today. That's phenomenal, right out of the Twilight Zone!
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/14/21 12:11 AM

shock
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/14/21 01:27 AM

Wait till tomorrow.....
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/14/21 01:49 AM

That is phenomenal! Congrats to Dave. Long live Hemi power!

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/14/21 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by John Brown
Wait till tomorrow.....

Next time one of those L88 Corvettes run, somebody needs to look in the hood scoop and see if the air cleaner is actually there. It's required by the rules.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/14/21 02:01 AM

Should still be good air tomorrow at 131.
Was around 1000 ft this afternoon when i looked, 800 this evening... will be super in the morning
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/14/21 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
Wait till tomorrow.....

Next time one of those L88 Corvettes run, somebody needs to look in the hood scoop and see if the air cleaner is actually there. It's required by the rules.

From what little I saw on facebook Dave had almost 5MPH on the corvette that went 9.58. The 60ft from that corvette was amazing though.

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/14/21 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
Wait till tomorrow.....

From what little I saw on facebook Dave had almost 5MPH on the corvette that went 9.58. The 60ft from that corvette was amazing though.

Yep, the air filter on an L-88 ain't on top of the carb, it's in the hood. Throws a lot of people for a loop.
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/14/21 11:47 AM

Wait till tomorrow.....

Yep, the air filter on an L-88 ain't on top of the carb, it's in the hood. Throws a lot of people for a loop.

The Corvette that ran 9.58 isn't an L-88, but an L-68 (Tri-Power) combo.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/14/21 01:39 PM

Is that the Lo Po 400 HP 427 or the 435 HP 427?
When you look at the 3rd. gen BB Corvette wheel base and were the driver sits in relation to the rear wheel it is easier to see why they do hook up so well scope
Hemi E body, not so much whiney scope

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/14/21 02:53 PM

Wait till tomorrow.....

What throws me for a loop is when an L88 Corvette is awarded a record but yet no air cleaner was present on the carburetor or in the hood. I think the TriPower vet is a better choice for fast, simply because it has a bigger air cleaner element. Once you get the cars to this horsepower level, and you have to run through a stock appearing air cleaner, that's a big deal. Trying to make 800 horsepower through a tiny little air cleaner element is like running a marathon while breathing through a straw. Different cars have different advantages and disadvantages. That's the beauty of fast. There's no attempt by the rules makers to equalize the cars. A Corvette has some inherent advantages with weight distribution and aerodynamics, but the exhaust manifolds in the air cleaners aren't as good as a Hemi. It helps equalize things out and make them competitive without artificial interference like separating them into classes or handicaps.

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/14/21 10:00 PM

Joel, I was there at Martin today and ask about the air filter.

Their response was; "L-88's didn't come with an actual filter, just a wire screen, according to the factory assembly manual,"

Since I don't have an assembly manual (not gonna buy one either), evidently I was wrong earlier. I'll have to take their word for it.
Posted By: MoonshineMattK

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/14/21 10:05 PM

They only had the screen over the carb

Attached picture 1967-L88-Engine.jpg
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/14/21 10:15 PM

Curious, had a tri carb vette, the filter was just a screen as you describe, but had an oiled foam "filter" similar to GM's HD air cleaner option. So, is the attached pic an actual L-88 air filter reproduction? It appears to be the same concept, a screen with an outer foam wrap.

Attached picture E13591.JPG

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/14/21 10:23 PM

All of the restored cars I can find just have the screen. Funny enough found a corvette forum where they were discussing the 15 rear wheel horsepower that screen restricts. Wonder if that foam is a modification so people can drive them around. From what I understand L88 was considered a race only engine.
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/14/21 11:52 PM

I had talked to Dave about running a 1964 Aluminum Nose B Body in FAST years ago. I gave him some production number, how many car built, how many Hemi Block were cast in 1963 and 1964 and the three Hemi Head Casting numbers. FAST turned the 1964 Down because or production figures, but a Tupperware Corvette gets to compete. One reason I follow N Hemi Super Stock were you run what you own and it is a Hemi against a Hemi.

Keep running fast Dave we can all learn from your new ride, 1971 Hemi Cuda that looks better than most show cars.

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/15/21 12:21 AM

Joel, I was there at Martin today and ask about the air filter.

Their response was; "L-88's didn't come with an actual filter, just a wire screen, according to the factory assembly manual,"

Since I don't have an assembly manual (not gonna buy one either), evidently I was wrong earlier. I'll have to take their word for it.

John, I think you know better than to take a Chevy driving FAST racer at his word! Of course they had a foam element around that screen. It's tiny and it kills power.

https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/1967-1969-corvette-air-cleaner-foam-element-l88-25-123937-1.html

https://corvetteparts.com/item/air-cleaner-assembly-427-with-l-88-engine-option-1967-1969

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/15/21 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by MoonshineMattK
All of the restored cars I can find just have the screen. Funny enough found a corvette forum where they were discussing the 15 rear wheel horsepower that screen restricts. Wonder if that foam is a modification so people can drive them around. From what I understand L88 was considered a race only engine.

The reason that all you ever see is the screen is that the air filter is mounted in an air box in the hood. When you open the hood, it lifts the air filter up off of the engine, leaving the flame arrester screen on top of the carburetor.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/15/21 02:04 AM

Once you get the cars to this horsepower level, and you have to run through a stock appearing air cleaner, that's a big deal. Trying to make 800 horsepower through a tiny little air cleaner element is like running a marathon while breathing through a straw.

You guys take everything else apart on the car and re-engineer it in F.A.S.T., what is stopping you from coming up with making your own air filter that has bonkers air flow and looks stock? Pull apart your Factory air filter, throw the paper out, find the coarsest white foam you can, cut it to look like weaved paper and stuff it in there. shruggy

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/15/21 03:03 AM

Rule: "3.06 The air filter housing assembly must appear correct. All qualifying and race runs must be done with the correct appearing air filter housing and an air filter in place. Correctly sized aftermarket air filters are OK." "Correct Appearing. Everything not specified otherwise must be correct appearing. “Correct appearing” and “appearing correct” means: upon a cursory visual inspection by someone reasonably familiar with the year, make and model claimed, it looks like a correct* part." "Correct* parts. These parts are the same as Correct* OEM parts, except they do not need to be OEM manufactured. Reproduction parts, that duplicate the Correct* Original parts in appearance, form, function and material and are primarily designed as “restoration” parts are allowed, as long as they comply with all other applicable rules."

Considering this, there is only so much you can do with the air filter and housing. And the Corvette is running illegal if the element is not in place.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/15/21 04:17 AM

Okay, if that won't work then melt an inconspicuous blob of material with a TIG welder on the air breather hold-down screws to keep the lid a half inch above the air filter to let more air in. The breather lid will ride slightly above the air filter and the wing nuts will tighten as normal.

You can just lift the lid to the point where it still appears to be covering the element, mark the position, and set your weld. twocents A second nut on the bottom of the breather will keep the bottom section still.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/15/21 04:55 AM

I can remember the trick of the day that the Chevy street racers use to use on the streets in SO CA, they would turn the lid over so it let more air into the air cleaner body instead of having to suck all the air through the inlet tube shruggy
And Chevy engineers in 1966 use a open element with no air cleaner body around it on the 375 HP SS 396 Chevelle, not the 360 or 325 HP 396 shruggy
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/15/21 11:29 PM

Spray the air filter with nitromethane before a run , now it’s a power adder , lmao

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/16/21 03:04 AM

The reason that all you ever see is the screen is that the air filter is mounted in an air box in the hood. When you open the hood, it lifts the air filter up off of the engine, leaving the flame arrester screen on top of the carburetor.

Do you have a picture of how the filter is mounted inside the hood? I can't find one

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/16/21 03:17 AM

I found this pic online

Attached picture l88.jpg

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/16/21 03:42 AM

Thank you!
Wonder why they are being allowed to run without? Would have to make a huge difference

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/16/21 05:03 AM

I talked to Donny, a FAST director on the phone today. He said the air filter was there during eliminations. I wasn't there, so I'll take him at his word.
Posted By: 72 RR DUDE

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/16/21 06:27 PM

I remember back in the day beating the Corvette,s with this 63 car because they were alway,s hooking up but they also broke the independent rear suspension and then one day NHRA decided they could run a straight axle [ imagine that] and so they put dana,s in and no more breakage !!! Then they went fast and won alot!!!

Attached picture 07-17-2006 08;39;23PM.JPG
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/17/21 07:58 PM

No straight axles there, I have seen the carnage.

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/17/21 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by FurryStump

I've never understood the allure of independent rear suspension. Unless driving off road I can't see the advantage
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/18/21 10:35 AM

I've never understood the allure of independent rear suspension. Unless driving off road I can't see the advantage

I believe it is better at most everything with the exception of Drag Racing.

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/18/21 07:16 PM

I believe it is better at most everything with the exception of Drag Racing.

Last year I drove 736 cars and trucks. From the drivers seat I'd be hard pressed to tell you if they were or were not independent rear suspension. What I can tell you is that independent rear suspension generates higher invoice totals wink
Posted By: DonnyBrass

Re: Dave Dudek - 05/21/21 01:33 AM

I talked to Donny, a FAST director on the phone today. He said the air filter was there during eliminations. I wasn't there, so I'll take him at his word.

Joel, thanks. I enjoyed chatting with you.

Bring your Hemi car out and I will get you a 1 race exemption from the air filter rule smile

Donny
© 2024 Moparts Forums