Moparts

Push Rods

Posted By: JERICOGTX

Push Rods - 05/13/21 12:53 PM

I need to order new push rods for my 499, since I'm switching to T&D rockers, and need Ball/Ball pushrods now. I know Smith Brothers, Manton, and Trend are a few places, but which one is best? Don't want to wait forever for a set. Thinking 3/8" .120 wall, or similar.

Thanks.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Push Rods - 05/13/21 01:13 PM

ALL GOOD, i always use smith bros, but they all good
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Push Rods - 05/13/21 01:21 PM

Yep.
They are all good
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Push Rods - 05/13/21 01:27 PM

I have used all three. My preference is Manton..
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Push Rods - 05/13/21 03:17 PM

I have only used Smith Brothers.

However I have used them several times and always been pleased.
Posted By: jughed

Re: Push Rods - 05/13/21 03:37 PM

I just ordered a set from Smith Brothers. Took a week to get them.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Push Rods - 05/13/21 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire

up iagree
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Push Rods - 05/13/21 04:39 PM

I used Manton's Stage 5 - 7/16ths pushrods in my 493" along with a custom set of T&D's spec'd by B3 Racing along with their geometry correction kit. The result is the smoothest running/rev'ing RB I've owned it 4 decades.

Attached picture Rockers3 (Medium).JPG
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Push Rods - 05/13/21 04:49 PM

Jeff i have a couple of sets of 3/8 heavy wall ball to ball pushrods for an indy / RB block combo. If interested let me know. Here is what i have

8-9.82 long
8-9.87

7-9.224
9-9.258
17-9.100
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Push Rods - 05/13/21 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by W.I.N. racing
Originally Posted by Al_Alguire

up iagree
iagree Me To up
I have had issues with Smith Bros quality on their high end race pushrods, they don't make them as good as the Mantons are twocents work
Manton custom makes each set, no mass produced shelf stock and no cheap parts either twocents

Re: Push Rods - 05/13/21 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by gregsdart
Jeff i have a couple of sets of 3/8 heavy wall ball to ball pushrods for an indy / RB block combo. If interested let me know

I need them for my Low Deck, and flat tappet cam, but might be interested in a set for my INDY block, and -1 heads.

Re: Push Rods - 05/13/21 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by jbc426
I used Manto Stage 5 - 7/16ths pushrods in my 493 along with a custom set of T&D's and a B3 Racing geometry correction kit. The result is the smoothest running/reving RB I've owned it 4 decades.

Curious about the B3 Geometry correction kit? Tell me more.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Push Rods - 05/13/21 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
Originally Posted by gregsdart
Jeff i have a couple of sets of 3/8 heavy wall ball to ball pushrods for an indy / RB block combo. If interested let me know

I need them for my Low Deck, and flat tappet cam, but might be interested in a set for my INDY block, and -1 heads.

Jeff i put the lengths in the post above.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Push Rods - 05/13/21 06:10 PM

I used Manto Stage 5 - 7/16ths pushrods in my 493 along with a custom set of T&D's and a B3 Racing geometry correction kit. The result is the smoothest running/reving RB I've owned it 4 decades.

http://b3racingengines.com/
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Push Rods - 05/14/21 02:12 PM

My last go around was with Manton and I'm very please with their service. One thing you should consider if you are building/engineering the engine is restricting oiling upstairs via the pushrods. When I mapped-out the single shaft geo on my single shaft TD system I had sleeves with the .750 hole offset +vertically with 'bush-up' to the OEM stand diameter which is .875"? ish which helped geometry. Know too that there was IIRC about .015" more lift at the valve if you used the longest acceptable pushrod.
Posted By: WarEagle1

Re: Push Rods - 06/10/21 08:42 PM

Smith Brothers is good to work with. They had no problem making single intake and exhaust pushrods for me as a sanity check (Gen II Hemi hyd roller setup) and I ordered the balance of the set afterwards (if length is in question).
Posted By: cl440

Re: Push Rods - 06/10/21 09:00 PM

I've used Smith Brothers, Trend, Comp cams and they all seem like good parts. The current set we just installed in the 540 are Manley 3/8 .135 wall. Have not run it yet but they are nice looking pushrods as well.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Push Rods - 06/10/21 09:43 PM

I've used both Manton and Smith Brothers. Both have great products and easy to deal with. It's a tossup IMO.
Posted By: LA360

Re: Push Rods - 06/11/21 12:07 AM

I've used Trend in the past, they are nicely made. They make for many other companies as well.

An engine builder friend has been using a local company here in Oz, they use Smith Brothers parts and assemble them here. Also a nice looking push rod.

I don't think you'll go wrong with Trend, Smith or Manton to be honest. I think a lot of preference comes from the relationships people have with the company in question.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Push Rods - 06/11/21 12:53 AM

I prefer Manton. I would suggest not using 3/8” unless space is an issue. Intake ports can be in the way, and require a thin pushrod, but I can’t think of any reason not to run 7/16” on the exhaust side.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Push Rods - 06/11/21 04:43 AM

I think you would get a lot more quality information if you gave Mike at B3 a call after reading and understanding his articles that can be found on his web page linked in an above post.
Posted By: Wirenut

Re: Push Rods - 06/11/21 12:57 PM

Manton was great to deal with . I had a couple of test rods made to see how big I could get in there. Rb with Indy -1 690 lift 7/16 straight on ex 3/8 x 7/16 taper on int .
Ditto on b3. Call and talk to Mike. You will learn a lot .[i][/i]
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Push Rods - 06/15/21 12:18 PM

Manton, Smith, and Trend are all good. I'd rank them as Trend, Manton, Smith. They seem to fall in price order like that too.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Push Rods - 08/14/21 02:26 PM

No doubt that Manton makes top level stuff, like their Series V.

Does anyone have experience with the Comp Cams 7/16 dia pushrods?
Link to Comp Cams pushrod description
Originally Posted by CompCams
COMP Cams® Straight 7/16", .165" Wall Pushrods incorporate technology that was originally developed for NASCAR and NHRA race engines. Pushrods in many of these applications experience impact loads of up to 7500 lbs., meaning the incorrect one can cause catastrophic failure. The additional stiffness and higher natural frequency of a 7/16" diameter pushrod is a significant advantage in any application that has ample intake port and lifter clearance. The main bodies of these pushrods feature a straight 7/16" O.D. that tapers down to a 210˚ radius, 5/16" ball end. The radii on each end provide additional clearance for the rocker adjuster at high lift and allow the pushrods to be installed either “up” or “down”. The pushrods have a consistent .165" wall thickness, even in the tapered ends, which is thicker, stiffer and stronger than common .080" or .125" wall designs. These pushrods are made in the USA from heat-treated, one-piece chromemoly tubing

I bought one to see what it looks like, and to see how it fits with offset seat intake lifters (to go with B1 offset intake rockers).

Attached picture CompPushrod_8645_OA.jpg
Attached picture CompPushrod_8645-tip.jpg
Posted By: sr4440

Re: Push Rods - 08/14/21 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by 440Jim
No doubt that Manton makes top level stuff, like their Series V.

Does anyone have experience with the Comp Cams 7/16 dia pushrods?
Link to Comp Cams pushrod description
Originally Posted by CompCams
COMP Cams® Straight 7/16", .165" Wall Pushrods incorporate technology that was originally developed for NASCAR and NHRA race engines. Pushrods in many of these applications experience impact loads of up to 7500 lbs., meaning the incorrect one can cause catastrophic failure. The additional stiffness and higher natural frequency of a 7/16" diameter pushrod is a significant advantage in any application that has ample intake port and lifter clearance. The main bodies of these pushrods feature a straight 7/16" O.D. that tapers down to a 210˚ radius, 5/16" ball end. The radii on each end provide additional clearance for the rocker adjuster at high lift and allow the pushrods to be installed either “up” or “down”. The pushrods have a consistent .165" wall thickness, even in the tapered ends, which is thicker, stiffer and stronger than common .080" or .125" wall designs. These pushrods are made in the USA from heat-treated, one-piece chromemoly tubing

I bought one to see what it looks like, and to see how it fits with offset seat intake lifters (to go with B1 offset intake rockers).

That's what i run in my B1, 290 seat 835 open. so far no issues in 4 years. FWIW I run T & D shaft rockers on that set of B1's

Joe
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Push Rods - 08/15/21 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by sr4440

That's what i run in my B1, 290 seat 835 open. so far no issues in 4 years. FWIW I run T & D shaft rockers on that set of B1's

Joe
Nice to hear. Thanks for the experience.
I have the T&D rockers also, small shaft with a pair of rockers per cylinder. B1 original 2.30"/1.78" valves
My spring pressures are close to that too, small amount less with 0.816"/0.799" lift.
Affordable, seem stout (and heavy), and readily available stocking pushrod.

My last engine had 3/8", 0.120" wall pushrods. Indy CNC 440-1 heads, T&D rockers, 0.750" lift, 290/680 spring pressures. 7400 rpm (but smaller/lighter intake valve)
This new B1 572 CID will be shifted lower.
Posted By: STEFF

Re: Push Rods - 08/20/21 07:11 PM

Trend and Manton for Me! If I can use their stocking lengths, IE: 7" to 12" in .025" increments, I use Trend. If I need custom lengths, I use Manton, as their lead times are days. Use the largest diameter, thickest wall possible, even if you need to do some pushrod clearancing in the head. And you only need about. 010" clearance between the pushrod and hole. It's good to use the pushrod hole as a guide. Bigger the better = less deflection! I have 7/16 dia. - .165" Wall Trend Dbl Taper, ball to ball Pushrods, and yes its a stocking pushrod, in my Gen 3 Hemi and they're only 8.025" and 9.10" lg. respectively.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Push Rods - 08/20/21 08:21 PM

I saw a 8 HP gain switching from Smith Bros 3/8 x .083 wall (I ordered and paid for 3/8x.120 wall pushrods rant) ball and cup to a set of Manton series 3 3/8x.120 wall pushrods at 5000 RPM and up to 7500 RPM up
Posted By: KD800X

Re: Push Rods - 08/20/21 09:44 PM

I use Manton here along with Manton hollow adjusters. Their service is great! To bad they're still in California... freights a be-otch from Pa... especially when you're short on time.
© 2024 Moparts Forums