Moparts

What to set timing at

Posted By: dragon

What to set timing at - 05/11/21 02:48 AM

What would you start with the timing set at and what would the max you would go to on a 540. 13: 1 compression. Aluminum heads on Methanol. Thanks
Posted By: AndyF

Re: What to set timing at - 05/11/21 04:34 AM

You should probably ask the engine builder that question since it depends on the cylinder head and and combustion chamber design. Wedge engines usually like something in the 34 to 36 range but it can vary a lot depending on what parts the engine builder used.
Posted By: JoWeTu_6

Re: What to set timing at - 05/13/21 03:03 AM

My total is 34 with Indy 572-13 heads twocents
But it does depend alot on your particulars.

I'm just saying.

Attached picture 20210129_124148.jpg
Posted By: jwb123

Re: What to set timing at - 05/13/21 04:37 AM

Ignition timing is affected by a lot of factors. As mentioned chamber design, intake valve opening, quench clearance, but one that most do not mention is rod stoke ratio. The rod stroke ratio controls the amount of time the piston dwells at TDC, before starting down the cylinder, You want to fire the mixture just before the piston starts down the cylinder for maximum torque. The other factors mentions basically control the speed of the burn. The speed of the expanding flame front driving the piston down is the next biggest factor.
A dyno or drag race time slips and reading the strap on the plug, is how to get it perfect. A good engine program will get you close. I use Performance Trends software, it will calculate an advance curve, as well as max timing. I find it to be with in a couple degrees on most engines.
© 2024 Moparts Forums