Moparts

electronic wheelie bars?

Posted By: Hemi_Joel

electronic wheelie bars? - 05/04/21 07:27 PM

I just read about these in N2OMonsters thread. Please educate me. Can they work with an MSD 6AL only, or is more electronics needed? Will they work with a Holly EFI ECU? What is the best system?
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/04/21 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
I just read about these in N2OMonsters thread. Please educate me. Can they work with an MSD 6AL only, or is more electronics needed? Will they work with a Holly EFI ECU? What is the best system?
I dont think they will work with an MSD. YOu need an ECU like the Holley. THere is a lot of info on Youtube by both Holley and Devin Vanderhoof.
Posted By: GY3

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/04/21 09:06 PM

Is this the laser system you can use with control boxes like the Holly Terminator?

Saw this on the Mullet build KSR racing is doing for Cleetus McFarland.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/04/21 09:09 PM

You would likely need some kind of EFI ECU to control the timing like that. The good thing about going that route is you get a data logger as well as an advanced ignition control.

I think you can do it two ways, either the vehicle position sensor from Davis, or a laser sensor that measure distance from the ground. Either way you would want it to pull timing as it goes up past X and put it back down as it approaches Y to keep it from slamming down? Just thinking out loud that is not a current problem I need to deal with,
Posted By: Stanton

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/04/21 10:35 PM

And I hear bitching about self-driving cars - with these devices you're not far off !!!

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/04/21 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stanton
And I hear bitching about self-driving cars - with these devices you're not far off !!!

tell that to this guy! eek

Attached picture wheele.jpg
Posted By: tubtar

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/04/21 10:55 PM

That is taking " launch " to a whole new level.
And while there were two puns in that sentence , I'm not particularly proud of either. laugh2

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/04/21 11:15 PM

haha Tub, don't quit your day job! laugh2 My Drag Week Hemicoupe has a very short rear overhang. That could be a problem if a surprise big wheelie happened. I don't want to mess with real wheelie bars on Drag Week.

Attached picture rear2.jpg
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/05/21 12:17 AM

The drag radial, no wheelie bars stuff has wheelie control.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/05/21 02:22 AM

Anybody have a P/N on one of these
wave
Posted By: EvilB1Dart

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/05/21 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY
wave

BR549
Posted By: GY3

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/05/21 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY
wave

"PRE-PROGRAMMED BANNER 0-20" LASER RIDE HEIGHT SENSOR – MAD Racing Parts" https://madracingparts.com/products/pre-programmed-banner-0-20-laser-ride-height-sensor

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/05/21 10:24 AM

That page gives an example of timing pulled vs ride height.

Joel I think you car would need a sensor for more ride height than this but it is an interesting example.

Attached picture Capture.JPG

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/05/21 10:51 AM

The Davis sensor is pretty wild, It isn't as expensive as I thought but still too rich for my blood for something to play around with. In a car that could fully utilize its functions its pretty fair priced all things considered.

https://moretraction.com/vps/

Something more simple that would still require an ECU would be wheel speed sensors on the front and rear. If the front sensor doesn't line up with the rear sensor in X amount of time it pulls timing.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/05/21 04:29 PM

Yet certain crowds call wheelie bars Sissy sticks, but it would be interesting to see who amongst them has the electronic sissy sticks. Bet you can go quicker with sissy sticks than with those.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/05/21 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by W.I.N. racing
Yet certain crowds call wheelie bars Sissy sticks, but it would be interesting to see who amongst them has the electronic sissy sticks. Bet you can go quicker with sissy sticks than with those.

Radials don’t like wheelie bars , usually it puts them into tire shake. They can be used , but need to be hit soft
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/05/21 05:36 PM

We use Banner eyes all over at work. Seems to me they are way cheaper than $395, but we buy bunches at a time.

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/05/21 06:03 PM

Sissy sticks? Are we in 7th grade? What's next, girly-matics vs. man-sticks? laugh2

Sticks and stones may break my bones... I do what I think will make my car faster/safer/to my liking regardless.

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/05/21 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by slantzilla
We use Banner eyes all over at work. Seems to me they are way cheaper than $395, but we buy bunches at a time.

Most of that stuff is ALOT cheaper if you can go to the source and figure out how to use it rather than pay retail and get advise and instructions. Can you get us Moparts guys a deal?
Posted By: Runnoft

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/05/21 07:13 PM

I bought mine from Mad Racing after doing a bunch of damage from a wheelstand. I have a Holley EFI system but I'm pretty sure you can set up an MSD Grid system to accept the input from the ride height sensor. It works like a dream. When it starts to come up I can keep my foot planted and let the program progressively pull timing to settle it down.
Posted By: ksj

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/05/21 08:44 PM

Joel, get with Frank Saponaro from DW with the Nova wagon for what system hes using
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: electronic wheelie bars? - 05/06/21 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
Originally Posted by slantzilla

Most of that stuff is ALOT cheaper if you can go to the source and figure out how to use it rather than pay retail and get advise and instructions. Can you get us Moparts guys a deal?

Unfortunately, our system doesn't allow us to buy parts from work.

I did do a quick Google search and Walker had them for $50 less.
© 2024 Moparts Forums