engine angle what degree

Posted By: BigFish69

engine angle what degree - 04/28/21 07:46 PM

Is there a preferred degree to tilt the engine back
thanks
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: engine angle what degree - 04/28/21 07:52 PM

Do you mean in the car?
If so what year, brand car and motor and what type of use?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: engine angle what degree - 04/28/21 08:23 PM

Factory was the carb pad level but you can put it wherever you want
wave
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: engine angle what degree - 04/28/21 08:54 PM

I remember seeing 8 degrees used
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: engine angle what degree - 04/28/21 09:57 PM

believe 3 degrees to be normal. basically carb pad level with engine in the chassis and car on the ground is desirable. of course this may not be doable all the time in a race prepped chassis. having intake manifolds with no carb angle designed into them makes it difficult or next to impossible for the carb to sit level. edelbrock catalogs have some interesting crab pad angle specs. would be good reference.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: engine angle what degree - 04/28/21 10:06 PM

3* from what I recall. It doesn’t have be exact.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: engine angle what degree - 04/28/21 11:20 PM

Well you should do some figuring before you go to town mounting it. What rear suspension? That matters for pinion angle and where the front ends up.

When I did my car last year I set it up with the rear at ride height, pointed the crank c/l right at the pinion. Made both 0 and 0 Then when the car was done I sent my pinion angle. 1-2 degrees down. (4 link)
Posted By: AndyF

Re: engine angle what degree - 04/28/21 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by BigFish69
thanks

If you are working on something that is mostly stock then use the factory mounts so everything fits. If you are building a chassis from the ground up then do whatever works.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: engine angle what degree - 04/29/21 04:44 AM

Check out the engine angle in this altered! https://www.hotrod.com/articles/the-drag-racing-saga-of-the-magic-muffler-fuel-altereds-part-2/
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: engine angle what degree - 04/29/21 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
Originally Posted by BigFish69
thanks

If you are working on something that is mostly stock then use the factory mounts so everything fits. If you are building a chassis from the ground up then do whatever works.

Excatly!...well, mostly, I WOULD cheat and move the nose down as much as possible.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: engine angle what degree - 04/29/21 12:53 PM

3* is what mine measured and i use and engine plate with one motor mount on pass side. I put angled spacers under the carbs to get them level.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: engine angle what degree - 04/30/21 05:04 AM

Stock front end, back half car? Putting it in on plates? OE steering?

They're ~ 3 degrees from the factory. This creates some less than perfect compromises if it's a backhalf/big tire car with the rear housing moved up in the chassis.

Best answer is lower the engine as much as you can, and point the engine/trans C/L at the rear yoke C/L with the rear at ride height.

Yes, you'll have to build headers and OE steering will limit what you can do.

If you can get the driveline straight from the front of the crank to the rear ujoint and dial in a bit of negative pinion angle, you'll be golden.

If you manage to get the front of the crank at the same height as the rear ujoint, it will all be level.

Re: engine angle what degree - 04/30/21 12:53 PM

Easiest way for me was the carb spacers.

Attached picture 3ED3A6DA-D526-459B-9AD8-289A8CA8258C.jpeg
Attached picture DD20940A-D577-4F46-BC9E-59DE06148AEC.jpeg

Re: engine angle what degree - 04/30/21 12:58 PM

Here’s another .

Attached picture D08A2F24-A1CB-4269-8928-C9D1B3BD51F1.jpeg
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: engine angle what degree - 04/30/21 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by mopar dave
Easiest way for me was the carb spacers.
logical choice when using something like a victor intake or any other race type intake with no carb angle.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: engine angle what degree - 04/30/21 04:25 PM

Optimally you want to have the engine when mounted (crank centerline) parallel to the pinion centerline at a height that creates a 2deg angle from crank Centerline to Drive shaft and a 2 deg angle from drive shaft to pinion centerline. One angle being positive and the other being negative.
Posted By: dvw

Re: engine angle what degree - 04/30/21 09:31 PM

Explain to me what difference carb angle makes? Ever watch a video inside a fuel bowl on a run? Acceleration plus pitch rotation. Hell you'd need a 45 degree spacer to get the level anywhere close.
Doug

Re: engine angle what degree - 05/01/21 12:53 AM

It depends on how the carbs are mounted. Front to back or side to side. Side to side makes a difference. My engine had a 3* reward rake and with the carbs mounted sideways you would have some top emulsions deep in the fuel and some completely out. My engine idles and cruises smoother with the carbs sitting level. I would think this situation may be worse at the track and accelerating hard would put even more emulsion out of the fuel on the left side of both carbs. Seems to me even mounted front to back would be an issue as well.
© 2024 Moparts Forums