Moparts

Opening day track woes

Posted By: Sammy

Opening day track woes - 04/05/21 11:54 PM

Isn't me or is it normal for the 1st weekend of racing to have horrible traction?
Last weekend was tough.
A lot of spinning and new slicks were burned in.
Seemed a bunch of fast cars were having issues. Thoughts?
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Opening day track woes - 04/06/21 12:03 AM

I haven't been to the track yet for this reason. I am sorting out my suspension and its a waste of time if the track isn't good. Just got the car certed today and if the weather forcast doesn't get better wont be going this coming weekend either.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Opening day track woes - 04/06/21 12:50 AM

It’s still pretty cold out (below freezing overnight )
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Opening day track woes - 04/06/21 02:19 AM

Always is.....This is why I like having a big tire car. The run isn't aborted for a turn or so of the tire...But yes, new rubber has to get put down before it gets really good...May take a few races...All depends on the track, but at the beginning of the season, its green as can be.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Opening day track woes - 04/06/21 02:31 AM

131 was outstanding traction wise for the opening day.
Saw more cars on the bumper than you could imagine.
Everybody said the track was awesome( as usual)
It was 65 ish and a bit breezy on Saturday
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Opening day track woes - 04/06/21 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dragula
Always is.....This is why I like having a big tire car. The run isn't aborted for a turn or so of the tire...But yes, new rubber has to get put down before it gets really good...May take a few races...All depends on the track, but at the beginning of the season, its green as can be.

Tracks can be great with no rubber down and freshly scraped. You should watch how big radial races are prepped. Scrape all the time
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Opening day track woes - 04/06/21 10:14 AM

Radials...That seems to be a whole nother animal.....Those I usually see what they call a super prep..Radials pull rubber off the track, slicks put rubber on the track. Two different technologies. Two different types of track prep.
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: Opening day track woes - 04/06/21 11:07 AM

Atleast the first weekend or 2 that a track is open the traction typically isn't the best from my experience. The air temp might be warm, but the ground is still cold/damp/wet whatever from the long winter. I know even late in the season once the nights start to dip into the 30's or even the low 40's traction starts becoming an issue. It may get to 60 during the day, but the ground temp is still cool and it's just hard to have a real sticky track.
© 2024 Moparts Forums