Moparts

Looking for valve spring recommendations

Posted By: bracketcharger

Looking for valve spring recommendations - 04/04/21 01:57 PM

I'm hoping to get some recommendations for valve springs. Engine is a 440 with Mopar performance 292 .509 cam, 3/8 pushrods, Hughes 1.6 rocker arms. Heads are #452 cast iron, ported and flow 276 at .540 lift. Valve guides have been cut for PC valve seats so plenty of clearance for this lift. I presently have a set of fresh Comp 911-16 springs. With the Comp springs I have plenty of room before coil bind comes into play. Wondering if the higher ratio rocker arms will require a stiffer spring. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Happy Easter
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Looking for valve spring recommendations - 04/04/21 02:23 PM

Sounds ok to me. I would think that's plenty of spring for that combo. 122 on the seat @1.900 and 320 over the nose.
Posted By: bracketcharger

Re: Looking for valve spring recommendations - 04/04/21 04:23 PM

Thanks B1MAXX I guess I was just over thinking it. Cheers !
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Looking for valve spring recommendations - 04/04/21 04:59 PM

Never trust the specs. furnish with the springs with no way to verify the actual pressures twocents
Take them to a shop with a good valve spring tester and have them set your springs up while verifying the pressures, I like to see 140 to 160 lbs. on the seats and from 325 to 375 lbs. at max lift with at least .060 from coil bind on all 16 springs scope
You need to use a set, pair of, checking springs to get the actual lift at the valves first before setting the springs up so you know the true max lift with your rocker arms also scope up

Re: Looking for valve spring recommendations - 04/04/21 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Never trust the specs. furnish with the springs with no way to verify the actual pressures twocents
Take them to a shop with a good valve spring tester and have them set your springs up while verifying the pressures, I like to see 140 to 160 lbs. on the seats and from 325 to 375 lbs. at max lift with at least .060 from coil bind on all 16 springs scope
You need to use a set, pair of, checking springs to get the actual lift at the valves first before setting the springs up so you know the true max lift with your rocker arms also scope up

On a hydralic flat tappet?
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Looking for valve spring recommendations - 04/04/21 08:59 PM

The higher ratio increases the spring load on the valve by the change proportion. A spring using 1.6:1 will increase the open load by 6.7% (1.6 รท 1.5), a 500 lb. spring becomes 533. The closed load won't change.
The 1.6:1 rocker will also increase the load on the tappet & lobe in the same proportion. The 500 lb. spring was 750 lbs. with the 1.5:1 rocker, becomes 800 lbs with the 1.6:1.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Looking for valve spring recommendations - 04/04/21 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by B1MAXX

Absolutely on Mopar V8 with stock .904 lifters up

Re: Looking for valve spring recommendations - 04/05/21 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by B1MAXX

Absolutely on Mopar V8 with stock .904 lifters up

mopar recommened the P3690933 spring with that cam it was 115 on the seat, and 310 over the nose.

But hey ok. beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums