Moparts

Trans vent relocation

Posted By: 4mopower

Trans vent relocation - 03/31/21 10:41 AM

Went to install CSI trans shield and it is obstructed by the trans vent,
Would you notch the shield or relocate the vent?
The front pump vent is still there are 2 needed?

Thanks, John

Attached picture 16171874326940.jpg
Attached picture 16171874568051.jpg
Posted By: dvw

Re: Trans vent relocation - 03/31/21 11:22 AM

Plug your vent. Relocate it here;
Doug

Attached picture trans vent relocation.JPG
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Trans vent relocation - 03/31/21 02:23 PM

On my 904 I pluged the front vent. Then I added the new vent hole near the front of the tail housing. I found that I also needed a hose with a puke tank
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Trans vent relocation - 03/31/21 06:22 PM

Modifying the shield will keep it from recerting if you had any interest in that.

I have a shield on mine and I have the vent in the tail housing near the speedometer drive.
Posted By: cl440

Re: Trans vent relocation - 03/31/21 07:34 PM

You shouldn't need 2 vents and you shouldn't need to relocate the vent from the front unless you are running a trans brake. We installed our vent in the top of the tail shaft housing near where it meets the case and ran a rubber hose up to a vented puke tank. This way if it pushes fluid out the vent into the tank it can drain back down into the trans
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Trans vent relocation - 03/31/21 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by dvw
Doug

iagree That's how mine is done.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Trans vent relocation - 03/31/21 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by dvw
Doug

I like that location (from the Griner instructions), and have used it successfully.
I also ground a little drainage in the rib below the new vent (yellow arrows).
Some cases have better or worse relief in this rib for drainage.

Attached picture Case_transbrake2.jpg
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Trans vent relocation - 03/31/21 08:59 PM

I plugged the original vent and moved mine to the tailshaft housing, just behind the park gear and down on the side a little. I used a brass 90° with a 1/8 npt male on one end and a 1/4" tube flare nut on the other, then bent a short piece of tube that points to the ground. I also fabricated a little shield that attaches inside the case with a couple small screws to prevent any splash from coming out the vent tube.

Re: Trans vent relocation - 03/31/21 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by dvw
Doug

Looks easy enough to do.

Thanks guys.

Re: Trans vent relocation - 03/31/21 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by cl440
You shouldn't need 2 vents and you shouldn't need to relocate the vent from the front unless you are running a trans brake. We installed our vent in the top of the tail shaft housing near where it meets the case and ran a rubber hose up to a vented puke tank. This way if it pushes fluid out the vent into the tank it can drain back down into the trans

I do have a brake, so your saying I should plug the front vent?
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Trans vent relocation - 04/01/21 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by 440Jim
Originally Posted by dvw
Doug

I like that location (from the Griner instructions), and have used it successfully.
I also ground a little drainage in the rib below the new vent (yellow arrows).
Some cases have better or worse relief in this rib for drainage.

I plug the pump on any race unit and relocate it there. Drain is a good idea. The rear support covers most of that area to help prevent oil from blowing out, I use the plastic rearend type vent with the cap. Never had one leak or blow oil out.

Cutting that shield will void the certification, and weaken it.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Trans vent relocation - 04/01/21 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by dvw
Doug

iagree
Posted By: dart9ss

Re: Trans vent relocation - 04/01/21 09:00 AM

same here vented to the tank located in the truck. overflow catch can.
Posted By: cl440

Re: Trans vent relocation - 04/01/21 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by 4mopower
Originally Posted by cl440

I do have a brake, so your saying I should plug the front vent?

Yes. Plug the front vent and relocate to the rear.
Posted By: jughed

Re: Trans vent relocation - 04/01/21 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by dvw
Doug

Dumb question time...can the relocation drilling/tapping be done to an already built transmission like OP's (or mine), or should the case be stripped beforehand??
Posted By: dvw

Re: Trans vent relocation - 04/01/21 02:36 PM

I've drilled aluminum stuff before using a vacuum cleaner. But in this case removing the tail shaft housing is a 5 minute deal. With it removed you can drill without issue. Make sure to stay forward of the gasket surface. When you drill, it will drill into the forward wall. Drill deep enough into the wall to get the tap down about 1/2"
Doug

Re: Trans vent relocation - 04/02/21 04:04 PM

I do have a brake, so your saying I should plug the front vent? [/quote]

Yes. Plug the front vent and relocate to the rear.
[/quote]

Ok. Great.
Thanks all for the info.

John.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Trans vent relocation - 04/03/21 12:08 AM

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-2669

I run this style fitting on my vent for my puke bottle

Re: Trans vent relocation - 04/06/21 12:46 PM

We'll I didn't get to far with the CSI shield, the strap that wraps around the trans body interfers with the shift linkage and nss.

Has anyone else used this shield? How did you secure yours?

Re: Trans vent relocation - 04/06/21 06:36 PM

I don't know what shifter you have but my strap goes between the NSS and the linkage bracket. I use a turbo action cheetah shifter. Its a little bunched up in there but it works. Unfortunately due to my exhaust system that area is impossible to photograph, I can't even tell you what it looks like just what it feels like LOL.

Re: Trans vent relocation - 04/06/21 06:41 PM

I see from your original photo you have a different shifter from me and your trans has had been modified in that area.

The blue lines are the area of your trans that have been removed which is where the turbo action shifter linkage bracket attaches, the red area is where my strap squeezes through. Like I said not ideal but I am able to tighten the strap no problem it is just a little jammed up in that area.

Attached picture Capture.JPG

Re: Trans vent relocation - 04/06/21 08:22 PM

I will be using a Hurst quarter stick. Actually the trans or shifter have never been used or installed. I haven't gotten around to looking at the mounting bracket for the shift cable. ( I may have more problems....lol).

Bad340fish - Do you have the same shift lever?

Re: Trans vent relocation - 04/06/21 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by 4mopower
I will be using a Hurst quarter stick. Actually the trans or shifter have never been used or installed. I haven't gotten around to looking at the mounting bracket for the shift cable. ( I may have more problems....lol).

Bad340fish - Do you have the same shift lever?

Off the top of my head I think the arm sticks out further from the trans.

Re: Trans vent relocation - 04/11/21 08:34 PM

(Bad340fish) I found a longer shift bracket and with bunching the strap up some it looks like it will work.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Regards,
John

Attached picture 16181731896490.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums