Moparts

Powerglide to Small Block Mopar

Posted By: Biginchmopar

Powerglide to Small Block Mopar - 03/22/21 12:20 AM

I have a question about a Reid Small Block Mopar Bellhousing and a Meziere Billet Flexplate. My starter does not fit and I need to know what I'm missing.

The flexplate is bolted directly to the crankshaft.
The Converter fits real nice, perfect clearance.

Do I need to run a spacer between the starter and the bellhousing?
Posted By: scottb

Re: Powerglide to Small Block Mopar - 03/22/21 12:57 AM

I run the JW bell housing and I have to run 1 3/8 flat washer on the top and bottom bolt to space the starter back away from the flex plate and i have not had any problems most people run a mid plate and that space it away from the starter to
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Powerglide to Small Block Mopar - 03/22/21 02:56 AM

My JW bell came with a pack of 1/8 “ spacers. I had an 1/8 steel mid plate, used two spacers because starter went to deep.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Powerglide to Small Block Mopar - 03/22/21 04:17 AM

Here is a question I need somebody to answer.

Has anybody used a Reid Bellhousing with a steel .100" miidplate and a Meziere Billet Flexplate?

I'm having fitment issues and need some help.
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: Powerglide to Small Block Mopar - 03/22/21 11:36 AM

PM me your email address and I will send you some pics of what I had to do on my BB Reid bell, Meziere flexplate combo.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Powerglide to Small Block Mopar - 03/22/21 09:44 PM

What does fit with the starter?
- Does the nose bottom in the bellhousing before the body bolts flat to the mounting surface?
- Does the body bolt flat, but the starter gear does not engage the ring gear? i.e. starter too far away or ring gear too close
- Is that the flexplate with ring gear that Reid recommends with there PG bellhousing/case?
- Many PG conversions require shimming the starter, and if lots of shims are needed, a starter nose extension is used.

FYI, attached is from the company that makes my PG converter.
If the flexplate is too far from the converter, washer/spacers are used. With my setup, I used 1/4" flat spacers.

Attached picture Starter_shims.jpg
Attached picture PG_Converter_install.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums