Moparts

Dinowars

Posted By: Gtxxjon

Dinowars - 03/18/21 05:13 PM

Hi dynomometers,

I have never used a dyno myself, but have seen some mighty engines being ‘run- up’ in the flesh!

All very impressive and jaw-dropping to experience indeed.
But here in the real world, we wanna see some real world engines being tested...

Thats why Nick gets a good viewership, he seems like ‘one of us’.
Putting crap engines on a $50,000 dollar Dyno.

Real hp numbers, not 1000hp small blocks with hair dryers...

Surely there is someone in moparland can reproduce the 440 Sixpack engine,,, manifold test???
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Dinowars - 03/18/21 07:17 PM

The second motor I had dyno tested and did some minor tuning on was a stock stroke 440 bore to 4.350, .030 over stock, I used the Speed Pro stock replacement 6 pack forged flat top pistons with 4 valve reliefs making 9.4 to 1 compression ratio for CA pump swill with a set of 906 heads that had a tiny bit of work done on them, mild Comp Cams hydraulic flat tappet cam with 1.5 ductile iron adjustable rockers and a stock 1970 cast iron six pack intake and stock Holley 1970 automatic carbs with stock jetting.
That motor made 430 HP at around 5900 RPM(no dyno sheets now, it was done in the late 1990s) and drove really nice on the street, it was in a 1970 Challenger 4 speed car with 3.54 gears in the Dana 60. I'm sure someone before me had worked on those carbs to get rid of the bog when the outboards carbs opened up to fast up
I've had a bunch of different six pack carbs and intakes on 340, 383 and a bunch of 440 motors, the stock ones bog bad if they open up to quick whiney shruggy
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Dinowars - 03/18/21 11:49 PM

WOW!

There are no less than 3 threads on this subject now and some very experienced members have weighed in. And that's not enough.

The ONLY way anyone will know about the difference between headers and manifolds....ON THEIR ENGINE.......is to test both....ON THEIR ENGINE. Change anything on that combination and you will likely change the results. So, anybody else's test may or may not have any correlation to your combo.

I think most here will agree that headers USUALLY add some performance to our Mopar muscle cars. Maybe not always (although they have always added some amount of performance when I have made the swap) but usually. The only real question is, how much. And again, that will vary greatly with the particulars of the combo.
Posted By: rb446

Re: Dinowars - 03/19/21 08:14 AM

I can give you some real fwhp numbers on a stock 1968 440-6pk motor I ran with stock 906's but with a Dominator flange team G intake, a spacer and a sorted 850DP in my old '69 Cuda race car which weighed in@3289lbs at the line, I guess a sorted 6pk set up could be worth some mph over the 850 carb. CR was around 9.5:1 with 0.39 fel pro's, the only race part in the motor was the 290@.0.50 duration SFT cam, that car ran a best of 11,2@119 with that combo which wallace shows to be 460fwhp, later I changed nothing else but went to a ported set of 906's with 2.14/1.81's and picked up to 125mph = 525hp...no dyno's here.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Dinowars - 03/19/21 01:28 PM

A 'stock' 440-6 except for the carb, intake, comp ratio, and cam. Oh, and it's a '68.

Interesting post. whistling
Posted By: rb446

Re: Dinowars - 03/19/21 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by DaveRS23
A 'stock' 440-6 except for the carb, intake, comp ratio, and cam. Oh, and it's a '68.

Interesting post. whistling

Ok to clarify for you, the block was a '68 block, with STOCK 6pk rods and pistons, stock 906 heads, the rest was not stock.....it didn't have the 6pk set up but an 850DP with a team G intake which probably was down on hp some to the triples@top end and it had a race cam instead of the hyd. 6pk cam, with 2" f/wells to be precise and not manifolds and it didn't have steel shim head gskts but .039 fel-pro's, so it wouldn't have the stated 10.5:1 which I doubt any of them were as stock, hope that helps.
© 2024 Moparts Forums