Moparts

Mr. Gilmer v. Mrs. Radius Tooth

Posted By: Moparteacher

Mr. Gilmer v. Mrs. Radius Tooth - 03/08/21 06:11 AM

Gilmer belt vs. Radius Tooth belts. Is the Gilmer noisy? I viewed a video of a Gilmer drive pulley set-up on the Tube and the belt sounded noisy (like a spur gear drive).

It appears the Radius Tooth would be less noisy, more pulley options, and the newest technology. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Moparteacher
Posted By: jcc

Re: Mr. Gilmer v. Mrs. Radius Tooth - 03/09/21 05:30 PM

bump
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Mr. Gilmer v. Mrs. Radius Tooth - 03/09/21 07:54 PM

I don't remember hearing about a Radius tooth belt, what s that? Link luck
I have heard of different belts, tooth type, width and angle of the teeth, for roots blower shruggy
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Mr. Gilmer v. Mrs. Radius Tooth - 03/09/21 07:55 PM

Call Peterson and ask them. I switched to the radius tooth belt setup years ago when I was running dry sump motors but I can't say I ever noticed any difference. Here is a picture of my 470 dyno engine with a radius tooth belt setup.

Attached picture DSC_1370 (Large).JPG
Posted By: poboyengineering

Re: Mr. Gilmer v. Mrs. Radius Tooth - 03/09/21 08:22 PM

Years ago, Honda used square toothed timing belts, and they were grenades at 60k miles.
They went to the round tooth belts, and would last well over 100k.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Mr. Gilmer v. Mrs. Radius Tooth - 03/09/21 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by poboyengineering
Years ago, Honda used square toothed timing belts, and they were grenades at 60k miles.
They went to the round tooth belts, and would last well over 100k.

Yes, I think most everyone has switched over to the metric belts with the round teeth. Not even sure if you can buy square tooth blower belts anymore. last time I checked everyone was selling metric HTD belts or some other type of rounded tooth design.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Mr. Gilmer v. Mrs. Radius Tooth - 03/09/21 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I don't remember hearing about a Radius tooth belt, what s that? Link luck
I have heard of different belts, tooth type, width and angle of the teeth, for roots blower shruggy

This may be of some help.

Rounded Tooth Belts
Posted By: Moparteacher

Re: Mr. Gilmer v. Mrs. Radius Tooth - 03/10/21 12:25 AM

8MM HTD radius tooth belts seam to be the norm for front crank drive pullies. Chris at Jones Racing says the HTD are a little quieter and definitely stronger.
Anyone know if the CV Products Twin Pin pulley has the same register diameter (1.28") as the Jones Racing "Dual Dowel" pullies? Or, if the pin spread is the same?

BTW, I just spoke with Donnie Cantrell, new owner of CV Products. He has 16 Twin Pin crank hubs in stock for a std. Mopar damper (2.25 register/6-bolt/2.826: bolt pattern) Part Number CVD53225.
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=cantrell%20racing

I didn't expect to find any in stock. boogie
© 2024 Moparts Forums