Moparts

Dumb mistake - damaged block

Posted By: 70Drop

Dumb mistake - damaged block - 03/01/21 06:07 AM

I was putting my big-block back together after a refresh. I put in a new oil pick-up tube that was a bit too deep for the pan, so I decided to push down on the tube while it was still installed in the block. The photo shows the result: I broke off a piece of iron where the pick-up tube threads into the block. Dumb mistake. I've been thinking about how I would best fix this. I'm guessing I'm gonna have to get it welded. Just wanted to see if anyone has thoughts on this. Thanks.

Attached picture 20210228_161505.jpg
Posted By: rebel

Re: Dumb mistake - damaged block - 03/01/21 08:40 AM

I would glue a bung in the hole & fit an external pickup.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Dumb mistake - damaged block - 03/01/21 01:41 PM

Maybe drilling and tapping it a little deeper? Any way, the motor comes apart. Tough break.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Dumb mistake - damaged block - 03/01/21 02:52 PM

Well that sucks.

Here is what I would do/easiest way I know.

Remove the oil pump. Follow the oil passage from the broken area to the flat part of the block where the oil pump bolts on.

Drill and tap that hole in the location where the oil pump bolts on for NPT. Plug that hole. You want it air tight. Sink the tapped hole below flush.

Then run a single line static external oil pickup using one of the Milodon billet pumps that comes with the -12 male sticking out.

Posted By: Scully

Re: Dumb mistake - damaged block - 03/01/21 04:02 PM

I always heat the pickup tube with the cutting torch and it bends with ease.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Dumb mistake - damaged block - 03/01/21 04:20 PM

Grind it down to break then tap deeper, get another tube to weld-extend the old pickup the amount it went deeper
Posted By: lancer493

Re: Dumb mistake - damaged block - 03/01/21 04:27 PM

I agree with Zippy's solution and meerly adding to try to create an upward small upward slope to the braided pickup line where it exits the oil pump, if space allows. The amoumt of oil left in the line helps keep the pump primed for quick pressure on start up, especially after sitting.Plenty of info in other treads on this site, and pictures and description on pg. 29 of Andy Finkbeiner's big block book. Bill
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Dumb mistake - damaged block - 03/01/21 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
Well that sucks.

Here is what I would do/easiest way I know.

Remove the oil pump. Follow the oil passage from the broken area to the flat part of the block where the oil pump bolts on.

Drill and tap that hole in the location where the oil pump bolts on for NPT. Plug that hole. You want it air tight. Sink the tapped hole below flush.

Then run a single line static external oil pickup using one of the Milodon billet pumps that comes with the -12 male sticking out.

this penguin and and you don't even need to tear it down
Posted By: 70Drop

Re: Dumb mistake - damaged block - 03/02/21 08:56 AM

Thanks much. You guys are the best. I think I'll go with the external pick-up. Probably a good idea anyhow, even if I hadn't damaged the block
Posted By: dvw

Re: Dumb mistake - damaged block - 03/02/21 10:22 AM

I old feed can be blocked at the other end of the passage. Much easier.
Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums