Moparts

transmission fluid additives

Posted By: mcat4321

transmission fluid additives - 03/01/21 02:51 AM

racers , do you use any additives between rebuilds to help longevity? if so what do you like and why
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: transmission fluid additives - 03/01/21 04:39 PM

I've used Lucas stop slip in my race 904. It's thick but the clutches and bands look good. I also use Lucas semi synth ATF in my 904. An additive isn't a cure all. In my other car with a glide I use ATI type F 20w with no additive. Also looks good inside
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: transmission fluid additives - 03/01/21 08:05 PM

No additives for me in 727,904 or Powerglides down
Straight non synthetic ATF type F up
Posted By: racerx

Re: transmission fluid additives - 03/01/21 11:26 PM

And this stuff is getting hard to find in my area shruggy
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: transmission fluid additives - 03/02/21 01:28 AM

hi

no additives , wallmart atf type f did my cuda trans in 1986 , still works perfeect !

30,000 miles and hudreds of drag passes .

no customer complaints !
Posted By: Wirenut

Re: transmission fluid additives - 03/02/21 02:10 AM

Tractor hydraulic fluid no additives
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: transmission fluid additives - 03/02/21 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by racerx
And this stuff is getting hard to find in my area shruggy

i have around 40 quarts in stock of Valvoline and Pennzoil non synthetic type F ATF fluid, I'll probably have to switch to ATI Synthetic ATF after all the old stuff is gone whiney
I currently have 3 gallons of the ATI synthetic ATF in stock, maybe do some fluid testing this year at the track with my bracket car work
Posted By: moparx

Re: transmission fluid additives - 03/02/21 06:03 PM

many, many [and many ! grin] years ago, one of the, at the time, big name transmission guru's said to add a quart of [10wt i think] detergent motor oil to the mix.
does anyone remember who this was, and what was the motor oil supposed to do ?
beer

Re: transmission fluid additives - 03/02/21 08:48 PM

Cab......ever tried the tractor fluid stuff? I thought about it years ago but didn't do it .if the need for transmission fluid get scarce might give it a try.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: transmission fluid additives - 03/03/21 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by moparx
many, many [and many ! grin] years ago, one of the, at the time, big name transmission guru's said to add a quart of [10wt i think] detergent motor oil to the mix.
beer

It was in Chrysler Power mag. I think it was called "Talking Torqueflites" shruggy

Gus beer
Posted By: dbran451

Re: transmission fluid additives - 03/03/21 12:34 AM

i put a quart of 0w5 synthetic every time i change my fluid
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: transmission fluid additives - 03/03/21 12:10 PM

CAT wet clutch hydraulic fluid.

I replace every 25 runs
Posted By: moparx

Re: transmission fluid additives - 03/03/21 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by dbran451
i put a quart of 0w5 synthetic every time i change my fluid

what is this supposed to accomplish/do ?
TIA.
beer
Posted By: Harry's Taxi 2

Re: transmission fluid additives - 03/03/21 08:27 PM

beer

I think it was Marv Booth? I have the Chrysler Power article somewhere. I'll try to remember to check tomorrow.

Re: transmission fluid additives - 03/07/21 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by FastmOp
CAT wet clutch hydraulic fluid.

I replace every 25 runs

Fastmop.....is there a certain weight they use fir the transmission? I'm new to this fluid regular cheap type F is getting hard to find. realmad.
Posted By: TJ2

Re: transmission fluid additives - 03/08/21 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
beer

It was in Chrysler Power mag. I think it was called "Talking Torqueflites" shruggy

Gus beer

As I recall... in that "Talking Torqueflites" article by Marv Booth, he mentioned using straight 30w engine oil in place of using regular Dexron or Type F transmission fluid. Seems like he said you could use a quart or two as an additive... all the way to using ONLY 30w, with no regular transmission fluid. Seems like he claimed or spoke of using the 30w engine oil even in motor home/RV applications, saying that the thicker viscosity of the 30w even aided gas mileage a small bit in these heavy rigs.
If anyone happens to still have that issue/article available and handy, please fact check this for me... as my memory of this information may be off a bit... it has been quite a long time ago! work
© 2024 Moparts Forums