Thought I would ask
I have a 67 plymouth barracuda notchback
Was wondering the best cage kit as far as fit
Chrome moly or mild steel
S&w ? Chassis works ?
Your input is appreciated thanks matt
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Roll cage - 02/25/21 10:58 AM

There is no cage "kit" that will fit the car anywhere near as nice, as a custom bent cage. Most are generic enough anyone at home can weld them in, with room to spare. A cage should be tight to the A pillars, and not create any extra blind spots if done correctly.

Here are a couple that I have done.

Attached picture Mike4.jpg
Attached picture MotovatorMay19-5.jpg
Attached picture MotovatorSept19-7.jpg
Posted By: jcc

Re: Roll cage - 02/25/21 01:34 PM

I believe the "blind spot" concern is in reality often a compromise, being in street car its a much greater concern, but on track, removing a blind spot often also removes some design integrity. Pick your poison. Your pics certainly look nice and tight BTW.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Roll cage - 02/25/21 01:50 PM

Call Chassis Works , they have a form to measure the car. Then they make the cage to fit your measurements. I did this and it fits perfect.
Posted By: Rodenteliminator

Re: Roll cage - 02/25/21 05:12 PM

I used (ART) Applied Racing Technology in Clearwater Fl. they are good guys to deal with and their notching and extra supplied tubing was long enough if you want to make any small changes, I put a 10 point in my 67 Bbody and it fit good. I see you are in the NW so shipping might be prohibitive.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Roll cage - 02/25/21 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by 65coronet500
Thought I would ask
S&w ? Chassis works ?

Talk to moparts member Forest. He is a chassis guy in eastern WA.
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: Roll cage - 02/25/21 06:34 PM

In winter 2006 my dad and I back halfed my Duster using a Jegs kit. The main hoop was not bent correctly (when you laid it flat on the garage floor one side was up a few inches), so they sent me another one. Overall the fit wasn't to bad for a prebent kit. In 2015 I got a S&W kit for my wife Falcon. It fit a little better I think. I would love to of made my own, but didn't have the bending tools or extra cash to do it so just went with a pre bent kit.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Roll cage - 02/25/21 07:54 PM

I'd recommend going through the dash.
I know I will if I do one again.
The room you gain is well worth the extra time.
Posted By: greendart408

Re: Roll cage - 02/25/21 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
Thought I would ask
S&w ? Chassis works ?

Agreed with Andy, he is good.
Always moly on everything here. Way less weight.
All the pre bent and catalog stuff is just a fits all OK deal. If you are particular about the fitment and all the details, have it done by a legit good place. If the details and perfect fitment don't matter that much to you, a catalog or pre bent deal will work fine.
Just my experience.
Posted By: Old buddy

Re: Roll cage - 02/25/21 09:47 PM

Out of curiosity...what does a custom bent six point setup cost for a 68-70 B body? Im looking for a ballpark figure
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Roll cage - 02/25/21 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by greendart408
Originally Posted by AndyF
Thought I would ask
S&w ? Chassis works ?

Agreed with Andy, he is good.
Always moly on everything here. Way less weight.
All the pre bent and catalog stuff is just a fits all OK deal. If you are particular about the fitment and all the details, have it done by a legit good place. If the details and perfect fitment don't matter that much to you, a catalog or pre bent deal will work fine.
Just my experience.

Forest built my back half 1965 Dart 270 to SFI specs for certifying it to 7.50 ET up
I also had him update the cage in my chrome moly tube chassis 1970 Cuda to meet the same specs up
He is in the Tri City area of WA, I think he lives in Pasco, WA
As far as which materials to use it is your choice but a mild steel car will flex and wear out with use and time, NHRA and SFI limit a mild steel car to 8.50 ET and slower in the 1/4 mile work
Chrome moly doesn't wear out and it is way stronger and lighter weight when finished up
I found a current picture of the work he did on my S/P Cuda several years back to update it to pass the 7:50 ET certification specs. scope
The Dart he did for me is a lot nicer but it is not finished yet, I'm still waiting for custom made Carbon Fiber and Kevlar front end and doors to be made so I can finish it whiney

Attached picture SANY0182.JPG
Posted By: moparlulu

Re: Roll cage - 02/26/21 03:04 AM

Thought I would ask
S&w ? Chassis works ?
hell, I’ve got a bender you can come over and use..... Casey Hart busy?
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Roll cage - 02/26/21 03:48 AM

Buy the bender or pull out the wallet. I got tired of getting jerked around with excuses so i bought the bender, CM tubing, bent and tigged it myself, 3 cars and counting. No better satisfaction than doing it yourself.

Re: Roll cage - 02/26/21 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Old buddy
Out of curiosity...what does a custom bent six point setup cost for a 68-70 B body? Im looking for a ballpark figure

Really depends on who does the work. I had a local chassis guy do the roll bar in my Duster and he did a great job in just a couple of days for a few hundred dollars. A big name shop might take weeks to get around to the job and charge you 5 times as much.

Attached picture DSC_3260 (Large).JPG
Posted By: 65coronet500

Re: Roll cage - 02/26/21 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by moparlulu
Thought I would ask
S&w ? Chassis works ?
hell, I’ve got a bender you can come over and use..... Casey Hart busy?

Jim ,
Talked with Casey awhile back and he hurt his arm and he is really busy with a project for his father building a dodge pickup as well as other projects he has going , sooo I’m just thinking bout building my own or a kit , I have a bender as well and I appreciate your offer for sure
Gonna get the Minnie tubs done and other little projects on it then concentrate on the bar
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Roll cage - 02/26/21 05:52 PM

costs vary from place to place .. QUALITY varies from place to place .. We have a local guy that does "ok" work ,, on that pic Andy posted , he would charge easily $1500 for that , another guy north of me about 100 miles does amazing work and prices are fair and he is booked solid for a year or more

Re: Roll cage - 02/26/21 07:57 PM

Yep, it is one of those deals where it helps to know someone. The guy who did my cage is retired and works out of his home shop. He stays busy all year around doing chassis work for local racers. He builds frames, narrows rears, builds cages, etc. but he doesn't advertise and he doesn't have a sign out front. Lots of satisfied customers who get good cages at a fair price. He has the local NHRA tech guy come to his shop to cert cages so everything that goes out the door is ready for the track. But if you don't know who he is you won't find him in the yellow pages.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Roll cage - 02/26/21 08:08 PM

6 pt. cost me well over $600 at a local race fab shop a few years ago. Now over $700 from what I understand.

Nothing beats a custom made, bent for your car cage, though!
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: Roll cage - 03/01/21 01:06 AM

, NHRA and SFI limit a mild steel car to 8.50 ET and slower in the 1/4 mile :work
25.5 cert can be mild steel thats 7.50:
© 2024 Moparts Forums