Moparts

Torque converter in Procharged BB combos

Posted By: B5496RR

Torque converter in Procharged BB combos - 02/21/21 03:38 PM

For those who run a milder boosted BB (up to 10 psi of boost) in a street driven combo backed by a 727, what torque converter are you using?

Not asking necessarily about stall speed, but what brand and model of converter? Steel stator? Anti-balloning plate etc?

Thank you in advance
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Torque converter in Procharged BB combos - 02/21/21 03:54 PM

ATI makes some great convertors for blown applications. I actually run one of their 9.5 blown A convertors in my street driven 605 Hemi due to the massive amount of torque it makes. Love it. Temps are nice and cool and it works really well..
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Torque converter in Procharged BB combos - 02/21/21 04:34 PM

PTC
Posted By: 416challenger

Re: Torque converter in Procharged BB combos - 02/21/21 04:46 PM

I am very happy with the converter Ultimate Converter Concepts reworked for me. I had a converter that was setup for a NA 430 and recently switched to a Gen 3 hemi with supercharger. The converter was way off with the supercharged hemi and UCC reworked it. I picked up 6 mph in the 1/8 mile. Ultimate Converter was very easy to work with and the converter is performing great, showing 7% slippage in the 1/4.
Posted By: 67_Satellite

Re: Torque converter in Procharged BB combos - 02/21/21 11:10 PM

I ran an old 11" 2200 r.p.m. stall Fairbanks behind the old 383with E-heads,8.0:1 compression, small cam@ 15 lbs. of boost without any ill effects. It was originally bought in the mid 80's by a friend, and I got it in a bunch of parts which was part of a barter/trade deal. I ran it because I had it, but it wasn't right for the combo. Didn't hurt it and couldn't" drive through it" like I did the cheap 10" 3K stall I tried later. I still have it, and would use it again with confidence in the right application. I currently have a 9.5" Dynamic behind the 470 which was built for the combo. It acts like a "loose" convertor for the first 15 feet from a dead stop, drives like a stocker after that cruising unless I get on the go pedal, when it becomes a loose convertor again. Really the best of both worlds. If you have the $$$ have one made by a good company to your specifications. If no bucks are available for the "right " one get the best name brand, non-custom convertor you can afford.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Torque converter in Procharged BB combos - 02/21/21 11:16 PM

The real questions:
What RPM do you have boost?
Do you need it to launch?
Posted By: procharged 484

Re: Torque converter in Procharged BB combos - 02/22/21 12:15 AM

Go to PTC website fill out spec sheet and find out exactly what you need . I have one behind a 484 hemi with F2 and it drives fantastic on street
Posted By: 572charger

Re: Torque converter in Procharged BB combos - 02/23/21 12:39 PM

no body would make me a converter for a 727 making 1400 hp even lenny said i need a 10 " converter and he didnt make one only company that would was Coan every company said i would break the transmission
© 2024 Moparts Forums