Moparts

Header Studs & Gaskets....Need some Help.

Posted By: Dragula

Header Studs & Gaskets....Need some Help. - 01/01/21 01:13 AM

So I had new headers made with 2-1/8 to 2-1/4 tubes....With my old 2" headers I ran 3/8 studs in my aluminum heads in all positions. On my new ones, the middle two tubes I can't fit the larger nuts that close.The nuts hit the tubes....Is there any options to still run studs somehow?

Attached picture DSC06953.JPG
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Header Studs & Gaskets....Need some Help. - 01/01/21 01:18 AM

Arp 12pt nuts? McMaster Carr also has 3/8studs stepped down to 5/16.
Or heat the tubes at the nut area and punch in some clearance.

Re: Header Studs & Gaskets....Need some Help. - 01/01/21 02:19 AM

I will check out the stepped ones from McMaster Carr....Hopefully those work....

Next question, where fo I get larger header gaskets? The TTI's don't fit, they are D shaped with the arch at the top and outside the flange, the Mancini remflex are too small...
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Header Studs & Gaskets....Need some Help. - 01/01/21 03:00 AM

Have you used or tried the Mr. Gasket M.W. header gaskets yet up scope
I used the 7/16, 3/8 or the 5/16 wrench size header bolts on my big tube step headers up scope
I haven't used the ARP 3/8x16 header studs though shruggy

Re: Header Studs & Gaskets....Need some Help. - 01/01/21 03:05 AM

No, and Mr Gasket is like low on the list like Walmart. Most items I have purchased from them are just junk.

Seems switching to the larger headers is causing all my normal stuff to not fit.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Header Studs & Gaskets....Need some Help. - 01/01/21 03:27 AM

Their, Mr. Gasket, Ultra seal header gaskets work good, not real cheap either shruggy
How about using the Rem Flex 440-1 copper header gaskets work Their oval shape, not round and not rectangular either scope
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Header Studs & Gaskets....Need some Help. - 01/01/21 01:40 PM

Looks late for this, but with them off, put a bolt through, and then progressively beat larger and larger tubes over it till you have room for the nut, The small dimples won't hurt a thing, except the finish lol.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Header Studs & Gaskets....Need some Help. - 01/01/21 02:57 PM

Just use copper high temp RTV. Maddog header suggested it to me a few years ago and have had no issues with it yet. Let it set up over night and your good.

Re: Header Studs & Gaskets....Need some Help. - 01/01/21 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by dthemi
Looks late for this, but with them off, put a bolt through, and then progressively beat larger and larger tubes over it till you have room for the nut, The small dimples won't hurt a thing, except the finish lol.

That has crossed my mind.....
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Header Studs & Gaskets....Need some Help. - 01/01/21 04:03 PM

No gaskets needed . Red hi temp silicone and that’s all you need
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Header Studs & Gaskets....Need some Help. - 01/01/21 04:29 PM

Take some hex stock, and turn the hex to the o.d.you need. The oem manifold nuts were like this.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Header Studs & Gaskets....Need some Help. - 01/01/21 08:29 PM

don't forget to split the flange between the front/rear tubes from the center tubes and drill one hole on each set of flanges a couple of drill sizes over.
this allows the individual pipe[s] to move around a little, helping a bunch to keep them sealed to the head.
i stole this idea years ago from mr. P-body, and it has done wonders for sealing, using gaskets or just plain hi-temp RTV.
works really well on thin flanges to keep them sealed up.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums