Moparts

Thinking of doing something different...

Posted By: Mopar_Mike

Thinking of doing something different... - 12/28/20 01:47 AM

I'm in the process of building a 440 that is going to be mated to a 4-speed. Stock lower end with 2355 pistons. under .500 inch cam stock rockers and going with stealth heads with the 2.14 1.81 valve. What I was thinking of doing different was using a nascar MW single carb intake I have. I believe I could open up the intake port on the heads but what about the exhaust port? I wanted to use stock HP manifolds so I am guessing I would have to open up the HP exhaust manifold ports to match? is that possible? I would image that with the smaller cam it might be a waste, so maybe leave the exhaust alone? Just bouncing this around in my head and looking for opinions. I have tough skin so let them fly.. lol. Thanks.
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Thinking of doing something different... - 12/28/20 03:12 AM

I would think the ex. would be a piece of cake maybe even little to no work. The intake would be a ton of work. Unless your just going to funnel the first 3/4 of an inch of the port. twocents
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Thinking of doing something different... - 12/28/20 05:22 AM

Sell the Stealth heads now and buy a set of the Trick Flow 270 heads instead of trying to make that intake fit on a head it wasn't designed for twocents
What year car and exhaust manifolds?
Posted By: Mopar_Mike

Re: Thinking of doing something different... - 12/28/20 12:36 PM

Fortunately I have not done anything yet. I just like the look of that nascar MW intake, smooth no marking but a part number etc. Car is a 67 GTX with its HP manifolds. I am not looking to make it a world beater, but just like that intake.. lol.. Seems the logical thing to do is leave heads alone and use a good dual plane intake.
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: Thinking of doing something different... - 12/28/20 01:18 PM

Just open up the intake port to match the intake. No one is going to know but you, if you like the look of that intake. I wouldnt bother with the exhaust port at all. Like you said, you arent looking for the last HP, just the look.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Thinking of doing something different... - 12/28/20 01:18 PM

A tunnel ram with two Dominators looks cool A.F. too.
That doesn't make it a good idea.
I am not familiar with the intake you are describing , but M.W. and NASCAR suggest pre- restrictor plate , and probably designed to move some air.
Which the rest of your combination isn't.
It might work , but I don't know that it would work well.
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: Thinking of doing something different... - 12/28/20 01:25 PM

Or you can just use a performer RPM and call it a day smile
Posted By: dvw

Re: Thinking of doing something different... - 12/28/20 01:41 PM

That manifold was designed for high rpm. Prehistoric design. Not to mention I'll bet they're aren't cheap. Combined with stock manifolds and a small cam. You'll have a stone.

Doug
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Thinking of doing something different... - 12/28/20 02:19 PM

I have to agree with Doug that intake was designed for running at 6000 RPM and just cruising is going to be like stepping on a rotten melon at anything below 5000 RPM. I seen one of those intakes before in Jim Kramer's stash of rare race parts and you are right they do look cool. The only thing that might make it run is the 4-speed keeping the engine up in the happy range. Put a 4.10 gear in there and a good cam designed with cast manifolds (check Andy's cast iron manifold build) and you might make it work shruggy Intakes are easy to change if you hate it twocents

Gus beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums