Moparts

PCV Valve on Race Car ??

Posted By: Kindafast

PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/27/20 06:39 PM

Hey Guy's I wanted to pick your brains a little . I have used the evack systems on my car for years but recently one of the one way valves broke and it made my engine puke a lot of oil everywhere. I found the problem but went back to a standard PVC setup because it is still a street car. What is the down side to using the PCV at the track ?? Just wondering because it works great on the street even when I jump into it a little. Advice or opinions welcome.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/27/20 07:39 PM

You would be contaminating the intake charge which could cause detonation, plus creating deposits on the valves & pistons. 2cts.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/27/20 08:14 PM

If you drive the car on the street then having some sort of way to keep the crankcase clean is a good idea. A PCV valve typically doesn't work very well on a race engine since the vacuum signal doesn't match what the valve is designed for. It is probably better to use a fixed orifice PCV or make your own using a holley jet. With a fixed jet size you get a steady amount of flow from the crankcase when there is intake vacuum. At WOT there isn't any vacuum so you won't pull vapor into the intake.

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/27/20 08:23 PM

Thanks guys , I was wondering about the vacuum at WOT myself. I have played with it a little on the street but not at WOT so that is a concern . Wonder if I put one evac tube on one side when the exhaust is open and leave the PCV on the other side ?? Like I say I am just fishing right now for the best of both worlds.

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/27/20 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by rickraw
You would be contaminating the intake charge which could cause detonation, plus creating deposits on the valves & pistons. 2cts.

Wonder how much it would do that with Very limited street driving ??
Posted By: justinp61

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/27/20 08:38 PM

I've always ran a pcv valve on my street/strip engines and never had any issues with any build up. When we dynoed my 434 the pcv valve was worth 4 hp.

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/27/20 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by justinp61
I've always ran a pcv valve on my street/strip engines and never had any issues with any build up. When we dynoed my 434 the pcv valve was worth 4 hp.

I like the sounds of that, Thanks. Extra HP and ease of use too. Nice !! No problems at WOT ??

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/27/20 08:50 PM

Get an air -oil separator, problem solved.

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/27/20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by rickraw
Get an air -oil separator, problem solved.

Okay got my curiosity up . Are you talking about like the ones on air lines from a air compressor ?
Posted By: justinp61

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/27/20 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kindafast
Originally Posted by justinp61

I like the sounds of that, Thanks. Extra HP and ease of use too. Nice !! No problems at WOT ??

No problems anywhere.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/27/20 09:34 PM

Here's an adjustable pcv valve. I'd like to try one.
My street car has a breather tank on each side of the radiator with 12an lines going to each valve cover.

http://mewagner.com/?p=444

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/27/20 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by ProSport
Here's an adjustable pcv valve. I'd like to try one.
My street car has a breather tank on each side of the radiator with 12an lines going to each valve cover.

http://mewagner.com/?p=444

That thing is pretty interesting indeed. Pricey but nice. So you have catch cans on both sides of the engine ?? Filters on the catch cans so they can breathe ??
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/27/20 09:50 PM

I've ran them, PVC, on all my cars including strip only race cars due to the motors never gets hot enough to boil the water condensation out of it but it will get warm enough to make water vapor usually so the vacuum from the motor driving in the pits at light part throttle will help suck that water vapor out of the motor at high vacuum up twocents
I ran two PCV on my pump gas Street and strip Duster, one on each side with a breather cap on both valve covers also, the oil stay real clean in that motor with that set up shock up Sometimes we get lucky when experimenting, I was trying to get that motor to idle at a low RPM, 850 RPM in gear, with a big solid roller cam(260@.050 on a 108 LSA) and a six pack. That flat out work real well boogie

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/27/20 09:59 PM

Thanks Cab , I appreciate everyone's input. I think I will try to run it next year with a PCV and if it pukes a little take my evac system with me just in case..

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/27/20 11:18 PM

I ran a Wagner, believe me it works.
Posted By: moparx

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/28/20 06:38 PM

i have a couple of those i got for my toys a few years ago when there was a group buy here.
unfortunately, i haven't got either of my toys put together enough to try them out.
i truly believe these things will do the job intended, plus they are rebuildable.
as to the separator, how about one of those recommended for the new challengers and chargers ?
beer
Posted By: Erick Char

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/28/20 07:43 PM

I am using a Wagner adjustable PCV too, work very well. I removed the spring inside because of the engine low vacuum @ idle, 8-9 inHg. I tuned the valve with the adjustable orifice and with the aid of a low inH20 gauge from Dwyer 2 years ago, i don't remember the specs...
On my car, the Wagner valve is hidden behind the carb, the PCV case on the valve cover is emptied, the spring and plunger are removed. The engine is a stroke 440 to 520", 264 duration @ 0.050" intake 268 exhaust and .600" lift.

Attached picture Wagner PCV.jpg
Attached picture Wagner PCV, PVC case.jpg

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/28/20 07:54 PM

Thanks for all the info on that Wagner PCV. I will give that a shot . Nice looking setup you have by the way..

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/28/20 09:34 PM

Upr has excellent oil separator for newer dodges & fords. Price isn’t too bad & their plug & play.
Posted By: Rollo!

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 12/29/20 04:06 AM

I run the Moroso oil seperator for PCV systems. My PCV is on the drivers side with a breather on left for good cross flow through the crankcase. Summit has them.

I used to have some trace oil in the PCV line to the carb. Bound to happen because of oil mist vapors, minor blowby, etc. But not any more!

Zero oil in the line to the carb with the seperator! I drain it every 2000 miles and get 3 or 4 ounces of oil each time. The air volume in the seperator also reduced the PCV "rattle" due to overlap.
Posted By: 383man

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 01/01/21 07:02 AM

I run a factory style PCV valve on my 63. Been using it since this eng went in my car in 2011. Its mostly a street car as I only race once or twice a year but its never spit any oil at the track. Course the other valve cover is a brether and I even consider just using a breather in both covers at the track like in the old days but as I say its been fine with what little racing I do and on the street. Ron
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: PCV Valve on Race Car ?? - 01/01/21 03:29 PM

Back in the mid 70s I had the poor mans vacuum pump, pvc hooked to the mechanical pump that dumped into a catch can, stopped the blow by and oil leaks. Had em all scratching their heads on that, each week they would mosey over to see what new trick I came up with (most didn’t work lol)
© 2024 Moparts Forums