Moparts

Running a 2 step with 4 speed

Posted By: joes68340s

Running a 2 step with 4 speed - 12/21/20 05:19 PM

Im running a 4 speed that has a 2 step but its not wired correctly from previous owner. I have seen the Msd wiring diagrams and have a question. I need to add a switch at clutch and relay. my question is if you use the line lock as the switch to activate how do you seperate the burnout and the launch rpm if your using the line lock. would the 3 step be better.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Running a 2 step with 4 speed - 12/21/20 06:05 PM

Did it years ago, simple diode but I was using the line loc on both (low rpm) but had two buttons. But why not use the line lock for both actions? What it was made to do right?
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Running a 2 step with 4 speed - 12/21/20 07:38 PM

The only way my 2 step works is if I have the line lock button pushed, and the clutch pedal pushed in. I have a switch on the clutch pedal. Release either one, and it will go to the high side of the rev limiter. Kinda fool proof. Won't go on the 2 step in the burnout box, and won't hit it going down track.
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: Running a 2 step with 4 speed - 12/21/20 07:50 PM

I've been racing my car for more years than I want to admit. I Use a "T" handle on my "H" pattern Hurst shifter that has the button in it. I engineered a circuit, (the term "engineered", is a definite overstatement), for sure, I use the button on the shifter and a separate toggle switch. With the toggle switch off, the rev limiter is in play, but the two step is not, which enables me to do a burnout without hitting the two step. As I pull to the line and shift into first gear, I flick the switch on and now I have my Two step and rev limiter in play. Some guys use a clutch switch, like my son for instance, but I prefer the button on the handle. I've won a few races and lost allot more, as most of us here. I've had my share of .000 and .001 lights over the years. Once you get acclimated to the procedure, it works pretty well. Just my two cents. To each his own, so to speak.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Running a 2 step with 4 speed - 12/21/20 08:08 PM

I run 2 micro switches in series with one on the side cover that is engaged when the trans is in first gear and the other when the clutch is on the floor. That way the only time the 2 step is activated is during launch conditions. I have seen other guys that run it through the horn button circuit.

Gus beer

Re: Running a 2 step with 4 speed - 12/21/20 08:47 PM

Thanks for replies.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Running a 2 step with 4 speed - 12/21/20 09:42 PM

What rpm-2 stepping are you launching at?
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: Running a 2 step with 4 speed - 12/21/20 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969
What rpm-2 stepping are you launching at?

For me, it depends on track conditions. Usually no lower than 4600, no higher than 5200 rpm. Slicks between 12 and 13 psi.anything lower the car bogs, anything higher the car spins. I rely on tire spin and not clutch slippage. Being "frugal" with my money, I'd rather change tires every four plus years rather than a disc and flywheel every year. I guess I'm getting cheep in my old age???? I like about ten feet of spin off the line.

Re: Running a 2 step with 4 speed - 12/21/20 10:43 PM

Launched ar 4200. It ran great after being stored for more than a decade. But the line lock is tied to the launch so I hit the launch rpm when I do burnout. I have to fix that.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Running a 2 step with 4 speed - 12/21/20 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
I run 2 micro switches in series with one on the side cover that is engaged when the trans is in first gear and the other when the clutch is on the floor. That way the only time the 2 step is activated is during launch conditions. I have seen other guys that run it through the horn button circuit.

Gus beer

What did you use for micro switches?? Everything I’ve found just looked to bulky to me.

TIA
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Running a 2 step with 4 speed - 12/22/20 03:47 AM

The one on the transmission is a limit switch from a rear window motor off a Toyota 4Runner . The one that is mounted on my pedal stop is a limit switch I had removed from a bucket saddle of a Telsta utility body . This is just junk I had in my pack-rat stash of electronic parts so I don't have any part numbers for you.

Gus beer
Posted By: 1DGEMAN

Re: Running a 2 step with 4 speed - 12/22/20 07:06 AM

Wiring diagram and 2 different clutch switches.

Attached picture CLUTCH 2 STEP 001.jpg
Attached picture CLUTCH SWITCH 1.jpg
Attached picture CLUTCH SWITCH JEFF LEE.jpeg
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Running a 2 step with 4 speed - 12/22/20 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
The one on the transmission is a limit switch from a rear window motor off a Toyota 4Runner . The one that is mounted on my pedal stop is a limit switch I had removed from a bucket saddle of a Telsta utility body . This is just junk I had in my pack-rat stash of electronic parts so I don't have any part numbers for you.

Gus beer

Thank you. I always appreciate reclaiming stuff. I should be able to find at least one of those switches pretty easy and maybe that one from the Toyota will work on the transmission and clutch pedal.
© 2024 Moparts Forums