Moparts

Electric Fuel pump recommendations

Posted By: Moparmal

Electric Fuel pump recommendations - 12/20/20 07:06 AM

Looking for recommendations on an external mount electric fuel pump.

Street/Strip car, low 11s, dual Edelbrock 500s. Carter 120 gph 4-12 psi ain’t cutting it.

1/2”lines, 3/8 pick up For what its worth.

Attached picture 9527E0CB-F5F4-428B-989B-04A641267905.jpeg
Posted By: 1DGEMAN

Re: Electric Fuel pump recommendations - 12/20/20 07:58 AM

A friends Max wedge stick shift stock eliminator car went 10.50's with only 3/8 lines and a Holley blue pump. Why would you have 1/2 inch outlet and only 3/8 inlet? Depending on how hard your car leaves it is fighting that head pressure. Any fuel pump with an adjustable out put pressure of about 18 psi will work make your inlet at least 1/2. regulate the pressure at the carbs to no more than 6 psi. On my Stock eliminator car I have #10 inlet and #8 outlet pump regulated to 20psi with bypass and 3 psi at 6 pack carbs with 3/8 lines. Volume is more important than pressure. I run an Aeromotive pump.
Posted By: tex013

Re: Electric Fuel pump recommendations - 12/20/20 09:28 AM

Mal ,
That pump should be enough .
I went low 6.50s (1/8)with a silver Carter .
I do agree you may be needing a 1/2" pickup , unless you sump the tank . I would prefer a 1/ 2" or -10 outlet from tank when running 1/2" line .
I run Aeromotive A750 pump , have a Holley black(140) for spare .
Tex
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Electric Fuel pump recommendations - 12/20/20 04:56 PM

If you do decide to go all in and do it once, an Aeromotive A1000, and universal regulator...It requires a return line and some sizable supply line, but it can work with carbs or efi.....One and done...
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Electric Fuel pump recommendations - 12/20/20 05:50 PM

I would think that Anything that’ll move 120 gph should be plenty for the HP range you’re in. First thing I’d do is go to a 1/2” pickup. It’s a “weakest link” deal. I got one off ebay, worked great for me, although I’ve since gone to a cell.

More food for thought: a couple of years ago, I was running 1/2” hardline. All was well until one day when it wasn’t. I couldn’t figure it out.... eventually went to -8 braided line. Problem solved. Never did figure out WHY, but I haven’t had a problem since. I pressure tested the hardline I pulled, tested fine (????). I run a Carter 4600HP electric leading to a 4862 mechanical. Seems to be working for me, I see 5+ psi out the back door.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Electric Fuel pump recommendations - 12/20/20 06:01 PM

Magna fuel 275 up twocents
I used one of them on my old pump gas Duster that ran 9.993 at 134.8 MPH in the 1.4 mile weighing 3450 Lbs. with me in it corked up with the air cleaner on up
Make sure and follow their recommendations on the pre pump filter micron size, 80 micron or larger scope
Posted By: A/MP

Re: Electric Fuel pump recommendations - 12/20/20 07:27 PM

Lack of fuel on top end or the hit? Temporary fuel pressure gauge will help you out in diagnosing the problem. After that there are many simple things to do.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Electric Fuel pump recommendations - 12/20/20 07:36 PM

I run a pair of Holley 140 pumps in parallel.. if one pump failed I can still run fine and I dont
pay the big money
wave
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Electric Fuel pump recommendations - 12/20/20 07:53 PM

Your engine is probably only using about 60 gph at WOT so you have some other problem than your fuel pump rating. Without looking at your system I don't know what the problem is but it might not be the fuel pump. A simple flow test should tell you how much flow you have and then you can work from there.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Electric Fuel pump recommendations - 12/21/20 01:43 AM

We regularly run low 11's @ 3650 lbs. with nothing more than a Carter street/strip pump and 5/16" pickup and fuel line from tank to pump. The same one this originally slant 6 car was born with. The line from the pump to carb is 3/8"

Actually it's run 10.01 @ 133 with this setup but with a supplemental electric pump/tank on the ntrous solenoid.

Re: Electric Fuel pump recommendations - 12/21/20 06:16 AM

OK , Thanks for the info. I’m going to run a pressure test with a temporary pressure gauge and see what it shows.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Electric Fuel pump recommendations - 12/21/20 06:58 AM

Volume is a lot more important than pressure, many things can cause low volume flow which can increase pressure work
I've seen motors that we could not jet up enough to slow the MPH down in the 1/4 mile due to to small needles and seats, which cause pressure on the gauge but not enough flow at WOT shock
I had one new Holley #9375 HP carb that came with one .110 needle and seat in the front fuel bowl and the rear was a .120 size, it ended up needing both to be .120 to get enough fuel volume into the front fuel bowls to be able to jet it rich enough to slow it down the 1/4 mile shruggy Murphy loves messing with us hot rodders and racers whiney rant

Re: Electric Fuel pump recommendations - 12/22/20 03:01 AM

Funny you should mention needles and seats - I had a light bulb moment last night - remembered when I bought the new carbs, I forgot to swap in the hi flow seats! Ive been running the .093th instead of .110th seats.....which has gotta not be helping! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Electric Fuel pump recommendations - 12/22/20 02:27 PM

Is the car nosing over from lack of fuel? I wouldn't run any pump with a smaller suction side line than the pressure side, but there's more than one way to skin a cat I suppose.
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: Electric Fuel pump recommendations - 12/22/20 03:16 PM

I agree with the others that your current pump should be adequate for your combo, but if you do decide to upgrade, you cant go wrong with a Mallory 140 / holley black pump... if you want to make absolute sure you have enough pump to feed it.
Posted By: Dduster

Re: Electric Fuel pump recommendations - 12/22/20 10:18 PM

Weldon 16120-A. It's amazing, You'll never 'not have' enough fuel. Install per recommendations and don't look back.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Electric Fuel pump recommendations - 12/22/20 10:25 PM

I'd put the pump and pre-filter in the gas tank. Keeps it cool, quiets it down and gets rid of clutter under the car.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Electric Fuel pump recommendations - 01/01/21 07:16 AM

I just run 3/8 pick-up and line with the Holley Black pump. Has been fine running 10.70's best at 125. Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums