Moparts

Anyone using an FST carburetor? **UPDATE**

Posted By: Guitar Jones

Anyone using an FST carburetor? **UPDATE** - 12/19/20 07:32 PM

I know they are a start up company but their stuff looks nice. They have the exact carb I've been looking for that no one else makes, 750 CFM, mechanical secondaries, electric choke, single inlet side hung floats. They are on back order however, I'm thinking they are waiting on supply from their Chinese supplier but can't confirm that. I ordered one in October and now it looks like it will be March before they are available, I've contacted Jegs, who tried calling them twice with no answer, I've emailed them and so has Jegs, but never received a response. Not sure I want to deal with that or not.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/19/20 09:37 PM

At this point...... based on what you’re saying....... it would be a “pass” for me.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/19/20 10:09 PM

Where are FST carburetors made?
the USA
All the FST carburetors are designed, forged, machined, and assembled in the USA. In fact, a large part of the FST lineup benefits from billet parts and CNC machining.Nov 14, 2018

FWIW....
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/19/20 10:16 PM

I was referring to the lack of any contact from them....... and one of their dealers also not getting any response from them.

Of course, it’s pretty easy for me to take that stand....... I’m fairly “carb rich” at the moment.

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/19/20 10:17 PM

Yeah that’d be a flag for me to Dwayne....

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/19/20 10:45 PM

I'm not getting a warm fuzzy feeling that is for sure, but with the chinese flu and the holidays, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I wanted the mechanical secondaries so I could control the opening and the side hung floats for off roading. There just isn't any other options. Jegs does have the 650 cfm version in stock, that's probably big enough anyway. It's not a race car.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/19/20 11:54 PM

Why not give Dominic (Thumperdart) a call? He does more than Dominators. And I 'll bet he'll be easier to get a hold of.

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/20/20 01:05 AM

Because I don't know of any other side hung rear fuel bowl with an accelerator pump. If that was available I could have pieced one together myself. Probably not for the price of this one though.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/20/20 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
Because I don't know of any other side hung rear fuel bowl with an accelerator pump. If that was available I could have pieced one together myself. Probably not for the price of this one though.

I’ve been through two of them. You need to verify the tune up. I have had them on the phone several times. If I have to use email to talk to anyone like that I won’t do business with them.

Their stuff is very very nice and the price is right. The problem is getting them. So far since the Covid, they haven’t been getting orders filled.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/20/20 01:41 AM

As I understand it it's all Chinese......not to piss in anyone's cereal....
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/20/20 04:22 AM

It

Does it have to be single inlet? Plug the transfer tube holes on two primary bowls,. Instant dual feed, double pumper with side hung bowls. Should be able to plug those holes and make fuel lines in less than an hour.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/20/20 04:50 AM

The early, pre 1975 or so, 660 and 850 CFM center squirter tunnel ram carbs. had what your looking for scope
Probably not available new anymore whiney

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/20/20 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
The early, pre 1975 or so, 660 and 850 CFM center squirter tunnel ram carbs. had what your looking for scope

Nope. Center squirters only have one pump. BUT they did also make a 750 double pumper tunnelram carb with side hung floats. I don't remember the list number.

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/20/20 06:07 AM

Interesting thought but it's only $300 for the 650 carb. I'll give it a try. Thanks all.
Posted By: crackedback

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/20/20 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda

Nope. Center squirters only have one pump. BUT they did also make a 750 double pumper tunnelram carb with side hung floats. I don't remember the list number.

6109?

660 were one 50cc pump, IIRC. one squirter, one pump

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/20/20 08:26 AM

Your correct on the 660 center squirters up Holley sold a ton of them, not so on the bigger 850 Center squirters, It took me a long time to find two of them and then I let them go before using them on a tunnel ram intake realcrazy
Posted By: Harry's Taxi 2

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/20/20 12:33 PM

yes, 6109
Posted By: gsmopar

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/20/20 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by DaveRS23
Why not give Dominic (Thumperdart) a call? He does more than Dominators. And I 'll bet he'll be easier to get a hold of.

+1!

[Linked Image]Untitled by Greg Ault, on Flickr

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/20/20 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Harry's Taxi 2

yes, 6109

That's the one. 750 double pumper with side hung bowls. Made for use on tunnel rams back in the 70's. No idea when they were discontinued. IIRC they were kind of popular on jet boat engines.
Posted By: tabletop390

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/21/20 06:23 PM

I’m running a 750 4150 carb on my junk. When I talked to them at PRI last year, they said they got absolutely crushed with people wanting their stuff. All of it was made in the US. It runs good, I only had to adjust the idle a bit and the AFR was right on the money. They were supposed to come out with their electro-jet system but shelved it due to the demand.

Attached picture 56B9EEB3-F774-4894-BC29-1054BA910DBD.jpeg

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/23/20 04:09 PM

So I got the 650 CFM version, installed it and it fired right up. It's actually a pretty nice carb with screw in air bleeds and 4 corner idle. Took the truck for a short ride and holy crap, it really woke the truck up. I'm very happy with that. It needs a little tuning as I'm getting a single pop back through the carb at WOT under load in 4th gear. I'll try increasing the secondary squirter size first and see how that goes. Overall I'm pretty happy with it right now.
Posted By: boatracer572

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/25/20 04:41 PM

So I got the 650 CFM version, installed it and it fired right up. It's actually a pretty nice carb with screw in air bleeds and 4 corner idle. Took the truck for a short ride and holy crap, it really woke the truck up. I'm very happy with that. It needs a little tuning as I'm getting a single pop back through the carb at WOT under load in 4th gear. I'll try increasing the secondary squirter size first and see how that goes. Overall I'm pretty happy with it right now.

Prob needs more jet.... lean pop

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/25/20 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by boatracer572

That is what I'm thinking but I only get one pop that seems to happen about the time the accelerator pump runs out. I may try a 50cc pump first and keep the squirter nozzle the same size just to get past that.
Posted By: boatracer572

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/25/20 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by boatracer572

That is what I'm thinking but I only get one pop that seems to happen about the time the accelerator pump runs out. I may try a 50cc pump first and keep the squirter nozzle the same size just to get past that.

go up a jet size or two, and you will be perfect without any other changes......

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/25/20 11:40 PM

I'll give that a try. Thanks.
Posted By: R_Blaha

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/31/20 03:45 PM

The guys that own FST are the same guys that owned Quick Fuel carbs and they then sold the Quick Fuel to Holley. I guess the reason they are making the carbs affordable is it’s a new company and demand has been through the roof. I heard they are nice pieces though.

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/31/20 10:07 PM

It is a very nice piece I must say. I had the opportunity to take the truck out for a good long drive yesterday and it is a little lean for my combo. As soon as my ribs heal and the weather permits I'll pull it off and do a little rejetting. Probably go up 1 size on the primary and 2 on the secondary.
Posted By: Mark Whitener

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 12/31/20 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by R_Blaha
The guys that own FST are the same guys that owned Quick Fuel carbs and they then sold the Quick Fuel to Holley. I guess the reason they are making the carbs affordable is it’s a new company and demand has been through the roof. I heard they are nice pieces though.

No. Marvin Benoit owned Quick Fuel, and sold to Holley. Ken Farrell who started FI Tech also started FST, with some help from Marvin's brother Jacques. Also Scooter Vester worked at Quick Fuel, now at FST.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 01/01/21 04:22 AM

Get a wideband on that and know for sure whats up. May just need a smaller HS bleed or an easier mixture screw adjustment.

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 01/01/21 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by mopar dave
Get a wideband on that and know for sure whats up. May just need a smaller HS bleed or an easier mixture screw adjustment.

That would be too easy. laugh2
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 01/01/21 04:09 PM

Dom@Thumpercarbs schooled me on those mix screws. They have a wide band of adjustability. Too many people dig into the jets when they have a lean issue, when all they need to do is a HS bleed or a mixture screw adjustment. Once jets are close you adjust around them with mix screw and air bleed to balance everything out. Just my opinion, but everyone turning carbs should have a wideband. Its a must have tool.

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 01/06/21 12:28 AM

You can't go too much on the mixture screws. The idle bets way fat and then other issues develop. I went up one jet size on the primary and two on the secondary. It is near perfect. I will step up the secondary pump squirter a bit. If that doesn't do it I'll step up one more jet size on the secondary and then back the squirter back down. I'm not going to buy a wide band for this truck, it's not that critical.

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 01/06/21 02:46 AM

I bought mine to tune my old pump gas Dusters six pack, which really helped me on that motor up
I took it out before selling that car due to thinking something had gone south on it and it, Innovate LM1 with the LC1 add on, took up a lot of floor space between the bucket seats with no console shruggy
I'm going to try and use it again on my current street car soon luck
My message is they are a good tool and can be reused over and over on other cars up work

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 01/14/21 12:40 AM

Yep, and their parts ARE from China no matter what others have stated how else can you get a carb for $500 ......

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 01/14/21 03:46 AM

Their “race” line of carbs (Billet excess pro) are $1200-$1300....

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 01/14/21 06:15 AM

I need to raise my prices then being BLP is USA made minus fuel bowls but they're working on some soon and I get to check the first ones out which is super cool and I'm not bagging just stating facts about where the parts come from. I know many happy customers of over seas products including myself and many on here.....

Re: Anyone using an FST carburetor? - 01/24/21 10:00 PM

So just an update, I went up 2 sizes on the primary and 3 on the secondary. I ended up converting the carb to a vacuum secondary. There is just to wide of a gear spread on the NP 435 to keep the RPM up between shifts. The carb is a really nice piece for the price $300, and it runs very good now. Woke my combo right up. Great throttle response as well, so I'm happy with it. I've had to adjust my thinking from making the most WOT power to making low end torque and throttle response.
© 2024 Moparts Forums