Moparts

Chrysler Classic gone

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Chrysler Classic gone - 12/18/20 06:01 PM

Another Mopar weekend done

Attached picture 84CE3173-1467-4549-89B8-9C7965183709.png
Posted By: 69dart

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/18/20 06:17 PM

Disappointing. Its a shame. I wish the car counts had been better the past few years.

Can't blame NTR every race they had in 2020 was PACKED.

Norwalk has been quiet about the 2021 schedule.
Posted By: cgall

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/18/20 06:57 PM

Many thanks to Jeff for keeping it alive the last few years. Car counts were never the same after the 2008-2016 recession. Ford and Chevy events suffered the same fate, as well as golf courses, hunting and fishing, and most any other leisure activity. I fear that we are headed into another dark period of cars on jack stands.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/18/20 07:18 PM

Bummer.
Over the years (2000-2015) I participated in those events, including when Norwalk had them.
After moving to NC, I am finally getting settled and getting back to racing on a regular basis.... except COVID cancellations this year.

I am planning to travel to several events in the future, if anybody hosts them. confused

Good times remembering this 10.00 class event (2006).

Attached picture 1000_series.jpg
Attached picture 1000_Timeslip_small.jpg
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/18/20 07:20 PM

Sad to see an event like that go away. That's why we have to support the events we have or they too may be gone.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/18/20 07:29 PM

I will miss those 10.0 races.. was a lot of fun
wave
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/18/20 07:36 PM

This sucks.....Might as well sell the RV now....There goes a life time of tradition right there. It will be missed by me and my family for sure.
Posted By: GregY

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/18/20 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by 440Jim
Bummer.
Over the years (2000-2015) I participated in those events, including when Norwalk had them.
After moving to NC, I am finally getting settled and getting back to racing on a regular basis.... except COVID cancellations this year.

I am planning to travel to several events in the future, if anybody hosts them. confused

Good times remembering this 10.00 class event (2006).

As an aside, that is a really cool timeslip. He had 0.129 on you at 60 feet and 0.135 at 330, and you clawed all of that back plus another 0.005 between there and the finish line. Watching that race from your view was probably incredible. Did you know you won before you got the slip?
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/18/20 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by 69dart
Disappointing. Its a shame. I wish the car counts had been better the past few years.

Norwalk hasnt been quiet. The whole seasons events have been posted for a while, including Monster Mopar

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/18/20 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by B3422W5
[quote=69dart]Disappointing. Its a shame. I wish the car counts had been better the past few years.

Norwalk hasnt been quiet. The whole seasons events have been post

Yes I’ve seen their schedule lots of times, mostly on Facebook. It was announced today that Bill jr’s Son will be running the track now. He was a fast learner filling almost every position.

Posted By: topside

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/18/20 09:34 PM

I gotta wonder if races like that need to be tweaked a bit, or opened up to succeed nowadays.
Add late-model classes, or open it up to a Ford vs GM vs Mopar deal like MATS in Las Vegas?
I'm sure the Covid deal hurt.
I don't know the particulars, or if there were money issues, but apparently sponsorship is weak everywhere.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/18/20 09:41 PM

Always had fun at the few I attended.. including back in 2002... I broke my motor a week before the Virginia Classic my spare motor was in a friends car, took the motor out put it in my car and drove to Virginia a five hour tow turned into 11 due to rain and a sniper in D.C. I had never been there, it was IHRA at the time, they allowed trans brakes in Pro, I was footbraking going 11.80s , I beat the same guy twice, ( he bought back ) to get to the Final were the guy was a little better on the tree and I lost.. still was Fun!!!

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/18/20 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by topside
I gotta wonder if races like that need to be tweaked a bit, or opened up to succeed nowadays.
Add late-model classes, or open it up to a Ford vs GM vs Mopar deal like MATS in Las Vegas?
I don't know the particulars, or if there were money issues, but apparently sponsorship is weak everywhere.

I think to a large extent a lot of it has to do with payouts, how organized the event is, and how the track itself is and how it treats people.
Monster Mopar excels in all these areas, Bowling Green( based on the inaugural event just completed in September) is the same way.
Both have and will have long term success.
these are both multi day events, checkin Thursday, racing Mopar only next 3 days.
Some of these little 1 day events are up against it regards car counts by the very nature of it being a 1 day deal.
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/18/20 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by B3422W5
Originally Posted by topside

I think to a large extent a lot of it has to do with payouts, how organized the event is, and how the track itself is and how it treats people.
Monster Mopar excels in all these areas, Bowling Green( based on the inaugural event just completed in September) is the same way.
Both have and will have long term success.
these are both multi day events, checkin Thursday, racing Mopar only next 3 days.
Some of these little 1 day events are up against it regards car counts by the very nature of it being a 1 day deal.

Agreed 100%.
Posted By: ekim

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/18/20 10:26 PM

What was the first year? 92-93? my first year (as a swap vendor) was when the old playground was completely under water.
that was back when the nats moved to indy and the columbus show was growing a lot.
i wonder how the attendence compared to the nats in the early 90s????

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/18/20 10:33 PM

Bob George and AJ were forced to open their Mopar race to all car manufacturers several years ago and it helps fill the pit spots and pay the rent. I’m sure they lost some diehard Mopar guys that race their 2-3 Mopar races a year but ohhhh well the show continues to go on. These races (Mopar) drawl cars for several states and now that we all walk around with weather apps on our phones some cancel their race plans if they see a 30% chance of rain. Some of these promoters are making a few bucks, but most aren’t.
Posted By: parksr5

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/18/20 11:29 PM

That sucks, been going a long time. Although, it was not what it used to be.

I was really looking forward to going to coming year. Wanted some sheet metal from Stephan's, they were always there.
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/18/20 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Bob George and AJ were forced to open their Mopar race to all car manufacturers several years ago and it helps fill the pit spots and pay the rent. I’m sure they lost some diehard Mopar guys that race their 2-3 Mopar races a year but ohhhh well the show continues to go on. These races (Mopar) drawl cars for several states and now that we all walk around with weather apps on our phones some cancel their race plans if they see a 30% chance of rain. Some of these promoters are making a few bucks, but most aren’t.

IMO, Mopar vs. The World formats are the greatest for those of us who lived through the prime age of all Mopar events. I remember being a kid at the MMCI Nationals at Quaker City in the 90s. They ran Mopar vs. the world on Saturday night and it was like going into battle watching all the big name Mopars tee off on outsiders. Putting emphasis on make really keeps the spectators engaged. Anything to separate just two cars driving down the track will benefit a program.

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/19/20 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by GregY
Watching that race from your view was probably incredible. Did you know you won before you got the slip?
No way I could tell who won.
It was one of the best races I have been in. And the timeslip made it even more amazing. Both of us had 0.045 RT.

FWIW, I was running both the 10.00 heads up pro tree class and the bracket footbrake class. I was swapping my 1150 carb for the 950 Holley and setting the ignition timing back for the 10.00 all out run (no box, no throttle stop). The week before, at Maryland International raceway, my Dart was running 9.35 at 140 mph with a 1.25 sixty foot time. Took a lot of timing out to run 10.00, and I started in 2nd gear instead of 1st (727 trans).
Posted By: Butch

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/19/20 01:15 PM

I remember you Jim form that period. Without a doubt we had some awesome times at Norwalk with the Moparts group. Good to hear of your return to racing. lets pray that 2021 will be a rebirth for all of us.

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/19/20 05:21 PM

2006 Chrysler Classic at Norwalk
some of the Moparts.com members

Attached picture Moparts_group_names.jpg
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/19/20 10:36 PM

Those were the days Jim.... we used to have some great gatherings at MaTs out here in the west. While most of us have embraced the entry of other makes (hence muscle cars at the strip)... their are quite a few that quit coming from further distances because it wasn’t “mopar only”. Thing about MaTs, we looked at it for what it was.... a gathering of friends. Their are certainly cheaper events to run with greater payouts, but MaTs was an event where we might only see some people 1-2 times a year..... and we had FUN!! of course a week before MaTs this year the plug was pulled due to “da virus” so an already shaky event was killed off for the year. The status of drag racing out west is not looking good.... I hope it can survive.
Posted By: cgall

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/20/20 10:11 PM

NTR has three double-up weekends for the NSS cars on their schedule. We are fortunate here in Ohio as we have 9 tracks and they run a lot of different events. If you like to race you can pick and choose where you want to go. The Mopar thing is dead but drag racing is doing well. You guys on the west coast need to sell out and come over here like your buddy Alguire did.

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/21/20 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by cgall
NTR has three double-up weekends for the NSS cars on their schedule. We are fortunate here in Ohio as we have 9 tracks and they run a lot of different events. If you like to race you can pick and choose where you want to go. The Mopar thing is dead but drag racing is doing well. You guys on the west coast need to sell out and come over here like your buddy Alguire did.

More than 9, right...

edgewater
Trails
Norwalk
thompson
Pacemaker
Kil- Kare
Quaker
Marion county
Magnolia
Freebird
Posted By: 69dart

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/21/20 02:30 PM

I saw Evan was the new track manager but I guess I missed the Norwalk schedule drop entirely.

https://dragchamp.com/2020/bracket-...hedule-stuffed-with-power-and-pageantry/
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/21/20 03:14 PM

This sucks, I always went, rain or shine. (Lately it had been mostly rain).Curious what he means by a major event in the spring. Maybe something not under the Classic name. I hear the February swap meet is now all makes.
One thing I am sure of, the folks that sat at home and bitched about the show instead of supporting it to try and make it better won't have that event to complain about from the couch anymore.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/21/20 08:53 PM

Lots of amazing memories with you guys at the Chrysler Classic races, what a blast we all had.
Posted By: carteravs

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/23/20 02:15 AM

So what becomes of the Mopar Nats.
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/23/20 10:56 PM

Mopar Nat's still go's on. It was never part of the Chrysler Classic series.
Posted By: carteravs

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/24/20 03:43 AM

But the track owners say the won't rent the facility to any independent promoters.
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/24/20 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by carteravs
But the track owners say the won't rent the facility to any independent promoters.

2nd sentence..."with the exception of the Mopar Nats..."
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: Chrysler Classic gone - 12/24/20 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by A39Coronet
Originally Posted by carteravs

2nd sentence..."with the exception of the Mopar Nats..."

Also Import Faceoff and the Summer Fling big money race..

Sooo.. I think the track owners are just being very picky on independent promoters. Promoters who bring in big money, which the CC event has not done the past few years.
© 2024 Moparts Forums