Moparts

Indy Rockers

Posted By: TonyS451

Indy Rockers - 12/10/20 01:58 AM

I’m running 1.6 Indy aluminum rockers on Indy -1 heads w a straight line performance solid roller cam. 266@.050, .667 w 1.6, and 112lsa. The spring pressure is 275 seat and 650 open. Not super aggressive as far as a race solid roller, but Ive heard the Indy brand rockers are not the go-to rockers for aggressive cam profiles. I’m hoping to hear some success stories to put my mind at ease smile ... Anyone care to share?
Posted By: dakotahotrodder

Re: Indy Rockers - 12/10/20 03:00 AM

I had them on my 451 until I broke a rocker and screwed a bunch of stuff up. Rebuilt the engine and put Harland Sharp 1.5 rockers on. I decided to put a new set of Indy 1.6 rockers back on to see if there was any performance gain, and there was about a tenth, until I broke another rocker a couple years later. I am running a comp solid roller .660/.663 lift with 1.5 rockers. I don't remember off hand what spring pressures are, but similar I'm sure.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Indy Rockers - 12/10/20 04:52 AM

The Dove rockers are weak, step up to HS or T&D, much cheaper to do it before its a problem, because it'll be an expensive problem.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Indy Rockers - 12/10/20 11:36 AM

Dove used to make the rockers for INDY. Dove is no longer in business, and hasn't been for quite some time now. Those rockers were OK to use with a flat tappet cam, but not for a solid roller. I can't complain, as I got 20+ years out of mine, but they have gotten to the point of not worth taking the risk.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Indy Rockers - 12/10/20 02:34 PM

Using them with a roller is just asking for unhappiness.

If you google “broken Indy rocker arm”, there is no shortage of results.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Indy Rockers - 12/10/20 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by TonyS451
I’m running 1.6 Indy aluminum rockers on Indy -1 heads w a straight line performance solid roller cam. 266@.050, .667 w 1.6, and 112lsa. The spring pressure is 275 seat and 650 open. Not super aggressive as far as a race solid roller, but Ive heard the Indy brand rockers are not the go-to rockers for aggressive cam profiles. I’m hoping to hear some success stories to put my mind at ease smile ... Anyone care to share?

5 years of bracket racing on my Indy 1.6 (360-1) rockers on my 422 engine. .660 lift solid lifter cam shifted at 7000rpm. Engine will be getting a set of T&D rockers I bought from a Moparts member this Winter when I rebuild everything.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Indy Rockers - 12/10/20 02:53 PM

Those rockers have a bad rep when pushed hard. I agree time to upgrade. In the mean time if you want to chance it, run the lash tighter to give them a fighting chance. By tighter i am thinking .005 to .010 depending on the original setting.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Indy Rockers - 12/10/20 03:42 PM

I ran the Indy -1 1.5 rockers for over 600 passes with a 278@.050, .660 roller. Found 2 with a crack at the body holding the roller axle. They had a crack on one side only. Then installed Indy 1.6, .705 lift. Never hurt one. They were on the car when I sold it.
Doug
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Indy Rockers - 12/10/20 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by dvw
I ran the Indy -1 1.5 rockers for over 600 passes with a 278@.050, .660 roller. Found 2 with a crack at the body holding the roller axle. They had a crack on one side only. Then installed Indy 1.6, .705 lift. Never hurt one. They were on the car when I sold it.
Doug

I had the same results with the 1.5's on the same cam. Mine were in the car for ten years. Sitting in a box on the shelf now. I went with Harland Sharps the second time around.

Decent rockers with a mild cam. Out of production now though.
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: Indy Rockers - 12/10/20 10:52 PM

I appreciate the feedback. I figured there might be some success stories, and also not.. Like the 8 3/4

Since I have zero passes and maybe 200 street miles on the engine, Ill probably keep them for now. But I'll be thinking seriously about that upgrade once I start making some passes.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Indy Rockers - 12/10/20 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by TonyS451
I appreciate the feedback. I figured there might be some success stories, and also not.. Like the 8 3/4

Since I have zero passes and maybe 200 street miles on the engine, Ill probably keep them for now. But I'll be thinking seriously about that upgrade once I start making some passes.

Just blue up your valve tips and make sure your rocker geometry is correct. Lots of guys throw them on and go never checking things over. I see some ugly stuff at the track.
Posted By: mopar873

Re: Indy Rockers - 12/15/20 04:35 AM

Hello,

I had some bad experiences with them running a Comp RX316R-8 roller, but that cam is fairly rowdy. Valvetrain maintenance on that engine was constant. I personally wouldn't use them for anything with spring pressures higher than what a solid flat tappet would use.
© 2024 Moparts Forums