Moparts

Removeable B-Body core support?

Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Removeable B-Body core support? - 12/03/20 09:26 PM

Has anyone here done a core support that was removeable for engine/cam servicing? How structural is the core support in the first place? It looks very flimsy to me and I would think anything in front of the K frame is not really doing anything. Bonus points if you guys have pictures!
Posted By: actionange

Re: Removeable B-Body core support? - 12/04/20 12:09 AM

My Coronet has no inner fenders or core support. Has J bars to front on frame rails from the roll cage.
I used a piece of lightweight aluminum channel to support radiator. Welded couple of aluminum brackets to the
radiator which bolt up to corresponding brackets under the upper grille filler. Works great.

Attached picture 96D8AE9E-2C43-40EB-B93D-3B0B2F8CA5B3.jpeg
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Removeable B-Body core support? - 12/04/20 12:10 AM

My '63 Belvedere 426 MW had this done when I got it, it was sawed vertically and re-attached with tiny straps and 12-24 screws.
Even though it's thin, it does work very well in tension, and a vertical 3/32" X 1" wide doubler strap on either side of each joint would make it stronger than the original.
Low cost, low weight, can't hurt. You could make stripping faster with Dzus instead of screws.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Removeable B-Body core support? - 12/04/20 12:37 AM

The core support in my Coronet is cut and modified. We welded nut plates in each side and capped the ends. It is plenty strong. Only issue you might run into is the body number. When you go to sell the car someone might not like the fact that the body number is removeable. Most likely doesn't matter on a race car but I wouldn't cut the core support on a Hemi car.

Attached picture DSC_1145 (Large).JPG

Re: Removeable B-Body core support? - 12/04/20 01:12 AM

Thank you all for the replies and pictures. I like all three ideas and will have to contemplate what I will do. This car is an old hot rod from back in the day so numbers aren't too important to me. This is also my first car so it's not going anywhere till I am in a box. Thanks Moparts members for coming through with good advice again.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Removeable B-Body core support? - 12/04/20 02:30 AM

They are flimsy, but they don't normally handle a large number of different loads. Mine is also removable, I lowered my rad, sectioned in a piece to deepen the removable upper member of the core support, then added openings for intake air, via a scoop /duct pictured later on.

Its pic #44 https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...e-62-polara-500-cruiser.html#Post1554309

Pic #57 shows the bolted connection better

Re: Removeable B-Body core support? - 12/04/20 02:38 AM

Thanks JCC, that is a neat concept. More to think on!
Posted By: moparx

Re: Removeable B-Body core support? - 12/04/20 05:56 PM

i did my 69 charger the same way Andy did his coronet.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums