Moparts

Help me pick a EFI for a 540

Posted By: 8urvette

Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 02:59 PM

I am about to start my project again

Its a 68 barracuda with a 18 spline 4 speed. 540 CI stroker. edelbrock victor heads, lightly ported, big solid roller cam, large headers etc...

I want to go to a single turbo down the road. The first step will be to go to fuel injection.

I have done a holley sniper kit on a 65 coronet, a FItech on a SBC and then several imports fuel injection.

I liked the sniper and the FItech, but for my car I am thinking about going with the edelbrock pro flow 4. https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/35920/10002/-1

i know it is only rated to 550 HP, but with bigger injectors it will support almost whatever is thrown at it. I do not know anyone who has used this setup. I have never seen it in person.

has anyone used this setup? likes? dislikes? other options I did not mention?

i will be purchasing this in the next month or so.
Posted By: INTMD8

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 04:28 PM

I wouldn't want that system for a turbocharged 540, personally.

I think you would be happier with a Holley HP or Dominator for something like that.

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 04:30 PM

a blow through setup????? Why?

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 04:39 PM

A blow through setup is in reference to a carburetor correct, or are you referring to something else?

I don't know what you would need for inputs/outputs. The HP system is nice if you don't need many.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/hp_efi/hp_ecu/parts/554-113

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...ominator_efi/dominator_ecu/parts/554-114
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 04:45 PM

You don't want the Edelbrock system for anything serious. The Edelbrock system is a black box setup where the user doesn't have much access or control. If you want a system that can work NA and down the road with a turbo then you need to start with a Holley setup. The Sniper could get you there but it might be a stretch. You most likely want a system with port injection and either a HP or a Dominator ECU.

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 05:09 PM

So you are saying the edelbrock setup is just too plain, there are not enough available ways to tune it. There is a limited "set" of parameters and that is all you get. As where the HP or Dominator have limitless adjustable parameters.

I really like the way the edelborck Xt system looks though. Does edelbrock make a better tuning software? Something else I can purchase?

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 05:11 PM

Yes like Andy said, edelbrock is limited control. It has self learning functions but not really enough access to tune something like you're building correctly, in my opinion.

No reason you couldn't run the Pro-flo XT manifold and control it with a Holley system.

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Yes like Andy said, edelbrock is limited control. It has self learning functions but not really enough access to tune something like you're building correctly, in my opinion.

No reason you couldn't run the Pro-flo XT manifold and control it with a Holley syste[spoiler][/spoiler]m.

i like that option. what about controlling the spark? would I use holleys distributor then?

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 05:16 PM

I opted for Andy's crank trigger and cam sensor for mine but you could run the Holley dual sync distributor if you like.

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 05:18 PM

I opted for Andy's crank trigger and cam sensor for mine but you could run the Holley dual sync distributor if you like.

you are running coil packs then?

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 05:21 PM

Well it's not running yet but yes I'm going to use Ford Coyote coils.

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 05:24 PM

Also, Rich Nedbal can get you set up with everything you need.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 05:26 PM

Edelbrock uses a EFI TECHNOLOGIES ecu. As delivered , it is semi locked. Limiting some parameters that actually need attention are not open to the user.
You can, at a cost, fully unlock the ecu. It is not user friendly.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 05:26 PM

I have been looking at something for a smaller N/A motor , and since I like E-85 , it seems to come down to this one.
FAST
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 05:31 PM

The aforementioned Eddy intake can be had without their efi....I have also heard bad things about their support for the efi....Like none. If you want the intake, I think its a great intake if it fits the big runner heads and then call Rich at FastmanEFI

https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/7144/10002/-1

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by tubtar
I have been looking at something for a smaller N/A motor , and since I like E-85 , it seems to come down to this one.
FAST

I like E-85 myself, but is the fast boost capable? Then it appears to maybe be a slightly improved version of the sniper

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 05:36 PM

The Holley efi is also E85 compatible. I'll be using a composition sensor with mine.

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 05:45 PM

i have been running e 85 in on of my cars for a while now and i tested it for the longest time, it was always good. never had low content. always 85 ish. There is only 1 station around me and year round they are close to 85%. I have stopped testing . Probably good idea to get sensor, just havent needed it yet.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by 8urvette
Originally Posted by tubtar
FAST

I like E-85 myself, but is the fast boost capable? Then it appears to maybe be a slightly improved version of the sniper

I think you would start here building a system for a boosted application.
FAST controller

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 06:19 PM

who is that and where do i find him?
Posted By: sr4440

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 06:24 PM

I just took one of these off the dyno Sunday. It was a SBF
The pros
Easy to setup
Bluetooth is great, if you had an android head unit would be awesome.
Base tune is super safe.

The cons
Limited adjustment
NO DATA LOGGING

For a guy that wants to put it in a street car, this would be good to go, set it forget it. If you were going to tune it with a turbo you are probably going to need a data recorder unless you like spending a lot of time tuning or know a guy with a dyno.

Joe

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 06:40 PM

who is that and where do i find him?

https://www.fastmanefi.com/

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by sr4440
The pros
Easy to setup
Base tune is super safe.

The cons
Limited adjustment
NO DATA LOGGING

For a guy that wants to put it in a street car, this would be good to go, set it forget it. If you were going to tune it with a turbo you are probably going to need a data recorder unless you like spending a lot of time tuning or know a guy with a dyno.

Joe

what system did you dyno with?

I have a good relationship with a tuner who has a dyno. I have spent lots of money with him and sent him lots of customers. Plus i bring him stuff he doesn't see all the time so he enjoys it
Posted By: sr4440

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by sr4440
The pros
Easy to setup
Base tune is super safe.

The cons
Limited adjustment
NO DATA LOGGING

Joe

what system did you dyno with?

I have a good relationship with a tuner who has a dyno. I have spent lots of money with him and sent him lots of customers. Plus i bring him stuff he doesn't see all the time so he enjoys it

It was a Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 on a 354 SBF, this was a engine going into a bronco, small roller cam and some AFR heads. Made 337hp @5400 with the base tune, left the shop with 380hp @5700 and a lot better BSFC numbers. had a real flat torque curve, should be a nice ride.
System was the easiest EFI I have ever setup with the duel sync distributor. saying that, none of them are really hard at all to setup.
with a turbo, i would want data logging, just noway to drive it and adjust while under boost. LOL

Joe

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 07:51 PM

No reason you couldn't run the Pro-flo XT manifold and control it with a Holley syste[spoiler][/spoiler]m.

i like that option. what about controlling the spark? would I use holleys distributor then?

There is a Moparts member who is running the Pro Flo intake manifold and is controlling it with a Holley ECU. Just buy the intake bare from Edelbrock and build your own setup. By the time you're done you'll be an expert. You can use the Holley dual sync distributor or you could use a crank trigger and a cam sync. Lots of different possibilities. Just depends on how much you want to do and and how thick your wallet is.

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 07:53 PM

Yeah I've set up a few Edelbrock systems for guys and they typically go together fairly easy and run fine. I'd never use one on my own car since I'd like to know what is going on with the system but they seem to work fine for people who aren't interested in tuning the car.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 11:44 PM

Have a nice day

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/17/20 11:50 PM

after downloading what software i can it seems even the edelbrock has boost retard, BUT no data logging.

Maybe the terminator is the way to go, help keep some costs down, but give me the capability to data log. build the system around that??

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/18/20 01:08 AM

You want a timing table that’s rpm vs manifold pressure. Just a boost retard is not an ideal solution.

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/18/20 02:21 AM

I have to say I like the Holley stuff...
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/18/20 12:01 PM

Terminator
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/18/20 12:20 PM

I really like the megasquirt EFI stuff from DIYAutotune. It is an incredible value but it comes with more work as you have to make your own harness etc. I went the full cheap guy route and soldered up my ECU from a kit. It's been an enjoyable deal and I have 5 years on it now and it has been rock solid reliable. I could see how its not for everyone though.

That being said the Holley stuff is super nice and easy, you pay for it but its good stuff. Try to look to the future as much as you can, the HP holley product is a good value but it would be pretty easy to leave yourself wanting more options in the future if you expand. I don't think you can reach the end of the capabilities of the Dominator ECU. FastmanEFI can you line you out though.

I couldn't imagine not having Data log capabilities with an EFI system. I data log way more fields than I need to but there is times where I will see something on here, or read something on another sight and I can go back and look at that field in a log and learn something.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/18/20 02:13 PM

Terminator
Posted By: CSK

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/18/20 03:25 PM

I have the Holley HP on my Charger, went to the track Friday, if not for the Data log I would have been lost as to why the car laid down on the big end,

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/18/20 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by csk
I have the Holley HP on my Charger, went to the track Friday, if not for the Data log I would have been lost as to why the car laid down on the big end,

could you post a few pics on your entire setup?

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/18/20 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by csk

could you post a few pics on your entire setup?

I have the Holley 7" dash, Hilborn EFI, Holley hp, Tanks Inc intank Hellcat fuel pump.

Attached picture 95714967_10220458056860173_4288881752543330304_n.jpg
Attached picture 105967482_3152978171427537_5638645788780136713_o.jpg
Attached picture 17835229_1339129466145759_9203901915455270371_o.jpg

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/18/20 04:42 PM

that is BAD!!!

does that hellcat fuel pump work well? is it a OE pump or a walbro?

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/18/20 05:01 PM

that is BAD!!!

does that hellcat fuel pump work well? is it a OE pump or a walbro?

Its a Walbro, but by chance I am having a fuel Volume problem that I have to sort out, glad I had the Data Log to see what was going on.

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/18/20 05:04 PM

what size fuel line are you running?

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/18/20 06:59 PM

what size fuel line are you running?
\

-6, & that is at 55psi, I think my Fuel filter is not up to the task, I ordered a large EFI 460GPH 10 micron filter today. I will do some volume test when the new filter gets here, before & after
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Help me pick a EFI for a 540 - 11/18/20 07:16 PM

Make sure that filter is between the pump and the regulator, not between the tank pickup and the pump tsk
I found out the hard way that all paper fuel filters are 10 micron and won't allow enough fuel to gravity flow through them to feed any motor that makes more than 200 HP at WOT, let alone more than 700 HP whiney
© 2024 Moparts Forums