Moparts

Transmission fluid for slick shifted 4 speed

Posted By: joes68340s

Transmission fluid for slick shifted 4 speed - 11/16/20 12:04 AM

I have a Liberty modified slick shift 833 trans. Wondering what people have used or recommend for trans fluid.
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: Transmission fluid for slick shifted 4 speed - 11/16/20 12:24 AM

If is a true slick shifted tranny, I use Dexron ATF.in mine. Pro shifted, a GL4 gear oil.

Re: Transmission fluid for slick shifted 4 speed - 11/16/20 12:29 AM

[i][/i]. I think it had something like Redline MTL. Not sure.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Transmission fluid for slick shifted 4 speed - 11/16/20 12:34 AM

I use Redline shockproof lube in my transmissions without syncro rings twocents

Gus beer

Re: Transmission fluid for slick shifted 4 speed - 11/16/20 12:54 AM

Shockproof light or shockproof heavy.[
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Transmission fluid for slick shifted 4 speed - 11/16/20 12:59 AM

Is it slick shifted or Pro shifted?
Not face plated, correct?
I used type F ATF in my old 4 speed drag race NHRA stocker with both types of gears in it up
I did take it out and inspect it after 40 runs or so due to the clutches we had back then, mid 1970s only lasting around 40 runs shruggy
I would remove and dress up the 4th and 3rd gears and its slider after 80 runs and replace them after 150 + runs and have them redone on the engagement lugs up
I quit drag racing 4 speeds after 2 1/2 yrs of doing that grin work

Re: Transmission fluid for slick shifted 4 speed - 11/16/20 01:03 AM

I bought the car with this 4 speed setup don’t know a lot about it as the guy that built it doesn’t remember. I didn’t plan to run a 4 speed but for now it’s fun. It’s supposed to be just slick shift. It works well.

Re: Transmission fluid for slick shifted 4 speed - 11/16/20 08:05 PM

Slick shifts don't last on the street worth a hoot, you can burr up the slider and gears by missing one shift and then they don't shift good after that until you take them apart and fix them whiney shruggy
Yours is probably Pro Shifted, which is much better at the track and on the street as long as you shift it quickly up wrench grin
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Transmission fluid for slick shifted 4 speed - 11/16/20 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Slick shifts don't last on the street worth a hoot, you can burr up the slider and gears by missing one shift and then they don't shift

good after that until you take them apart and fix them whiney shruggy
Yours is probably Pro Shifted, which is much better at the track and on the street as long as you shift it quickly up wrench grin

I’ve been driving slick shifted on the street for nearly 20 years. Touched up the gears once.

FWIW, synthetic gear oil (and specifically GL-6 gear oils) are FAR better than engine oil or ATF.

Re: Transmission fluid for slick shifted 4 speed - 11/16/20 10:52 PM

It’s a track only car. Just drained The trans no metal clean fluid. Just not sure what they ran.

Re: Transmission fluid for slick shifted 4 speed - 11/16/20 11:17 PM

Hopefully the drain plug has a magnet on it, if not glue one on it. twocents up
© 2024 Moparts Forums