Moparts

help me pick rockers for 440

Posted By: Forest

help me pick rockers for 440 - 11/14/20 05:33 PM

I'm looking for opinions. We have a 440 in my wife's duster that is drag race use only. It has the ProMaxx heads. I think they are a copy of a Edelbrock RPM? Either way we have ran the motor for 2 seasons with stock rocker arms and push rods. It has a Launati Voodoo hydraulic flat tappet cam with .533 lift. It ended up bending a pushrod and breaking the adjacent rocker arm at the last race this year. So it's time for an upgrade.

Originally I was thinking of the chromoly comp rockers but the max spring diameter is much less than Harland Sharps. I'm open to anyones thoughts or suggestions.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: help me pick rockers for 440 - 11/14/20 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Forest
I'm looking for opinions. We have a 440 in my wife's duster that is drag race use only. It has the ProMaxx heads. I think they are a copy of a Edelbrock RPM? Either way we have ran the motor for 2 seasons with stock rocker arms and push rods. It has a Launati Voodoo hydraulic flat tappet cam with .533 lift. It ended up bending a pushrod and breaking the adjacent rocker arm at the last race this year. So it's time for an upgrade.

Originally I was thinking of the chromoly comp rockers but the max spring diameter is much less than Harland Sharps. I'm open to anyones thoughts or suggestions.

I would look into the rockers Mancini is selling. Made by Harland Sharp, lifetime warranty, under 500 bucks.
Buddy runs the small block versions of them on his trick flow heads and really likes them. Great bang for the buck

https://www.manciniracing.com/ben15alro.html
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: help me pick rockers for 440 - 11/14/20 06:13 PM

I heve used them ( Comp Magnum Ultra Pros) on 2 engines recently. Mine has stealth heads and uses them with isky 9315 springs, which are 1.550”. No problems at all and no contact at all. Almost 2 years now and about 2500 street miles and a bunch of runs at the track. Work perfectly with no issues. Recently removed and inspected.
The other engine has Ttricklow 240s, but their hyd roller springs are 1.54”. So no issues their either.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: help me pick rockers for 440 - 11/14/20 08:03 PM

The largest diameter pushrods you can fit
Posted By: BSB67

Re: help me pick rockers for 440 - 11/14/20 09:15 PM

what spring diameter do you think you need?

Re: help me pick rockers for 440 - 11/14/20 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by BSB67
what spring diameter do you think you need?

It currently has 1.45" diameter springs now. My thought was get 2 more seasons on the short block. Then do a stroker kit and possibly a solid roller on the freshen up.

I'm not a engine builder, but I don't want to spend $700 on rockers then get in a pickle later on valve springs and wish I would have bought the Harland Sharps...

Re: help me pick rockers for 440 - 11/14/20 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by polyspheric
The largest diameter pushrods you can fit

totally agree, it would be nice if 3/8" would go right in...?

Re: help me pick rockers for 440 - 11/14/20 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chargerfan68
I heve used them ( Comp Magnum Ultra Pros) on 2 engines recently. Mine has stealth heads and uses them with isky 9315 springs, which are 1.550”. No problems at all and no contact at all. Almost 2 years now and about 2500 street miles and a bunch of runs at the track. Work perfectly with no issues. Recently removed and inspected.
The other engine has Ttricklow 240s, but their hyd roller springs are 1.54”. So no issues their either.

Ok cool, I just read on Summit that 1.45" was the limit, but obviously not! I think they would be a good rocker for the money!

Re: help me pick rockers for 440 - 11/14/20 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by B3422W5
Originally Posted by Forest

I would look into the rockers Mancini is selling. Made by Harland Sharp, lifetime warranty, under 500 bucks.
Buddy runs the small block versions of them on his trick flow heads and really likes them. Great bang for the buck

https://www.manciniracing.com/ben15alro.html

Thats interesting...wonder what the difference is? The adjusters? Actual Harland Sharps are nearly double the cost...
Posted By: Stanton

Re: help me pick rockers for 440 - 11/14/20 11:43 PM

The "difference" is the Harland Sharps that everyone else sells have roller bearings for the shafts whereas the "Mancini" Harland Sharps are bored aluminum like every other aluminum rocker on the market. Hence the price difference.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: help me pick rockers for 440 - 11/15/20 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Stanton
The "difference" is the Harland Sharps that everyone else sells have roller bearings for the shafts whereas the "Mancini" Harland Sharps are bored aluminum like every other aluminum rocker on the market. Hence the price difference.

Yep. Still nice for the money,American made, and lifetime warranty
Posted By: AndyF

Re: help me pick rockers for 440 - 11/15/20 12:51 AM

The Mancini Racing rocker arms are a replacement for the Crane rocker arms that are no longer available. HS makes them for Mancini but they are a Crane style rather than a HS style. I've used them before and they work just fine. They are short which is good for Edelbrock and Trick Flow heads.

Attached picture DSC_9880 (Large).JPG
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: help me pick rockers for 440 - 11/15/20 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stanton

The early pics of those rocker arms showed bushing installed shruggy So they are not bushed that is a disappointment as I was considering them .

Gus beer
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: help me pick rockers for 440 - 11/20/20 07:15 PM

Years ago HS told me that the Mancini rocker is made of a lesser material so not as strong as his fully rollerized arm systems...he gave a max spring rating to them so if your curious just call him...NICE GUY! Several people like the Hughes too. I doubt you'll be able to buy a set of rockers that will follow you into differnt types of heads mainly because of different pivot lengths unique to each head.

Re: help me pick rockers for 440 - 11/21/20 08:54 PM

I think I am going to try the Crane chromoly rockers. Cheaper than Harland Sharps but stronger than anything else I'm guessing...
Posted By: AndyF

Re: help me pick rockers for 440 - 11/21/20 09:23 PM

Crane or Comp? We have used the Comp rocker arms on a lot of engines. They work fine with flat tappet or a street roller type cam and generally last a long time.

Re: help me pick rockers for 440 - 11/24/20 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by AndyF
Crane or Comp? We have used the Comp rocker arms on a lot of engines. They work fine with flat tappet or a street roller type cam and generally last a long time.

oops yea Comp...
Posted By: viperblue72

Re: help me pick rockers for 440 - 11/24/20 06:58 AM

I just bought the Mancini rockers for my tf 270 heads. They seem to be a great bargain. They have no bushing or bearing but I’ve never had a problem running similar rockers. I believe they are also made by Harland Sharp. I sold my 410 with your old 360-1s and going 511.
Your wife’s car runs great for such a basic low buck combo. 👍
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: help me pick rockers for 440 - 11/24/20 02:32 PM

So a little " backstory" on the HS non bushed rocker arms. Back when Crane was sold, and the new owners were clearly not interested in making rocker arms again, I thought that there should be a replacement for them, as they were a great little rocker arm, and nothing else really fit the bill in that price range. So, I started working on a HS rocker arm, non bushed, to fill that gap. I worked with them, to use a BBC rocker arm, that was drilled out, as that would be the most cost effective. I have the prototypes still in my shop. The first version, ended up being too short for the valve tip alignment. ( this project probably went on for 4-6 months). So, I was working at changing that distance, and at the same time. getting HS to make their standard rocker arm axle to fit an Edelbrock head properly. I determined it had to be moved .070. That was a done deal and we started selling the " E" version of that rocker. At that time, everyone just " lived with" the length being wrong. I wanted to fix that. Back to the unbushed rocker arm. " Somehow" ( still dont know why), my unbushed rocker design, made it to Mancini .Next thing I know, they had ordered 100 sets or something like that, and I was effectively out of that market. I didnt have the coin to pony up for that kind of investment in one series of rocker. I will post a pic of the original prototypes next trip to the shop.
© 2024 Moparts Forums