Moparts

Milodon dragster style oil pan

Posted By: lancer493

Milodon dragster style oil pan - 10/31/20 12:53 AM

Is anyone using Milodon's dragster style oil pan #31160 (10qt.)? Specifically,I'm speaking about it's oil return or drainback capabilities.Would like to hear from those who have used this system.It looks somewhat questionable to me in the windage tray area.All input appreciated. Thank you,in advance. Bill
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Milodon dragster style oil pan - 10/31/20 04:56 AM

Ive used it for the past seven years with Milodon’s external oiling system on my street strip application with no issues at all.
Posted By: JD Dart

Re: Milodon dragster style oil pan - 10/31/20 06:09 PM

I have the 10 Qt pan works good except the oil pressure always takes a dip. level is full, I think it's because of the returning oil splashes back up creating tiny air bubbles which aerates the oil dropping the pressure.
Going to remove the plate and put in a screen see if that helps.

Attached picture oil pressure drop.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Milodon dragster style oil pan - 10/31/20 10:49 PM

I did a search on Milidon site and wasn't able to find that part number? shruggy
The 9 quart boat pan ,part # 3133o, is for a motor with the oil being push to the front of the oil pan up near timing cover area in a V drive boat.
Not for street use in a car tskscope
The nine quart SS style pan part #311470 is fir drag racing cars, if you want low profile for street use I would look at some of the road racing pans with center sumps with kick out, they do work well also scope
Posted By: lancer493

Re: Milodon dragster style oil pan - 11/01/20 01:06 AM

Thanks for the input Cab. The pan I have is a brand new unit#31160. Looking at the Milodon site it appears that they revamped the front of this pan as folks wanted to use it with a Magnum crossmember and took a 1 quart bite out of the front of it and renamed it #31161 for external pickups and #31163 for internal pickups, with both new numbers being 9 qt. capacity vs. 10 qts. for the earlier pan without the front modification. Same basic design and windage tray. Summit still lists them all w/pictures but lists the early one that I have as unavailable. My chassis uses a fabricated front suspension w/no k-frame intrusion, so the early one fits with no issues.Also just found an old thread from quite a few years back on here and a reader had asked the same question I had asked.Another reader replied that he had called Milodon and they told him to run it as is, that drainback wasn't an issue with that windage tray that it came with.I was just wondering if anyone had anything to that. Thanks for the update as I had no idea that this was done but it probably is due to large volume of requests .Makes sense to me. Bill
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Milodon dragster style oil pan - 11/01/20 05:18 PM

I raced for about four years with the old style dragster pan. Even with 10 qts in it i would lose oil pressure if i used the brakes agressively at all. 499 indy heads, 7000 rpm max. If you run this pan, i would run an accusump system with 3qt capacity. If you can data log oil pressure then you can cut back on how much oil you have in the system. Maybe 11 or so total with at least 2 of those in the accusump till the finish line.
© 2024 Moparts Forums