Moparts

Lowering a Car for ET?

Posted By: Dragula

Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/29/20 07:58 PM

Is it worth lowering, and what kind of change in ET do you get.....I just eliminated my exhaust from underneath the car...Probably could lower it 3.5" now.

Attached picture 2999.jpeg
Attached picture 2997.jpeg
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/29/20 09:35 PM

Lower CG on a fast car is a good thing.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/29/20 09:50 PM

To me, the critical question is "does it affect weight transfer and launch?".
If none or minimal, go for it!
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/29/20 10:19 PM

It helps with aero. May or may not help with ET. Looks faster.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/30/20 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by polyspheric
To me, the critical question is "does it affect weight transfer and launch?".
If none or minimal, go for it!

Thats how i understand it. You have to have the power to keep enough weight transfer for traction. So it becomes a balance of cg position and torque that can sustain weight transfer. Look at a modern prostocker launch versus a high ten second bracket door slammer launch. Then consider where thier CGs are and torque available for the first 10 to 20 feet.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/30/20 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by AndyF
It helps with aero. May or may not help with ET. Looks faster.

Be interesting what effect just that exhaust location might have on aero, vs say slightly turned up, thru the hood, etc
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/30/20 07:22 AM

Make the car move forward, not up.

Upward motion is wasted energy. At least, that's my experience in motorsports. twocents

Attached picture 30.jpg
Posted By: als499

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/30/20 03:42 PM

My 72 Duster went quicker each time I lowered the front, picked up a solid tenth and atleast 1 mph.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/30/20 05:29 PM

High CG and upward motion is not needed IF the car hooks. Raising CG acts like moving weight to the rear. My bet on a normal bracket car the gain will be small if any.
Doug
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/30/20 05:53 PM

Yes it helps. It doesn't look like your using very many aero tricks.
On your car. There are many. You reduce drag when you lower
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/30/20 08:13 PM

If your running slower than 150.MPH in the 1/4 mile it probably won't help a bunch, if faster than 150. MPH it will have more affect up
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/30/20 09:17 PM

My junk liked the chin spoiler in the front and I drilled holes in the rear valance for air to escape both helped in et and mph a bit......

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/30/20 11:23 PM

Interesting responses.....Lack of empirical data makes this mostly opinion then....So here is my understanding:

I used to race RC cars, specifically Dirt Oval as a sponsored driver, and they are not moving at 150mph, but aero plays a huge affect on handling and stability. A good handling car makes faster laps and generally finishes higher in the standings...Even at relatively low speeds like 30mph....

So when I look at my Duster, it sits higher than my Cuda and couldn't be lowered due to the headers. Now that those are out of the way, I can now lower a bunch.....What the results are, I have no idea.

My plan is to lower it, and put a chin piece on it....and then get it re-scaled and the IC changed if needed..

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/31/20 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzly

Upward motion is wasted energy. At least, that's my experience in motorsports. twocents

Well my thinking, and NOTHING matters except what a Wind tunnel indicates and a time skip proves, is the directed exhaust out the side in the OP's location could have significant "air curtain" effects on the side skirt area of the car that "could" be very beneficial, at speed, where traction is less of an issue.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/31/20 01:25 AM

I know most of your racing is 1/8th mile where aero mods will have the least effect. Ideally I think you need to test it with the new headers before you do anything else. Just to see if they help or hurt performance.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/31/20 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by Grizzly

Well my thinking, and NOTHING matters except what a Wind tunnel indicates and a time skip proves, is the directed exhaust out the side in the OP's location could have significant "air curtain" effects on the side skirt area of the car that "could" be very beneficial, at speed, where traction is less of an issue.

I get what you are saying but a Duster is already blasting a pretty big hole in the air as it is, not tons of air on the side of these cars I am willing to bet.

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/31/20 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
I know most of your racing is 1/8th mile where aero mods will have the least effect. Ideally I think you need to test it with the new headers before you do anything else. Just to see if they help or hurt performance.

Yes, 1/8 mile would likely show minimal bang for buck with aero, but how much does one need to be ahead of the other guy to win? work
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/31/20 01:29 PM

Lowering the nose may increase your rear down-force

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/31/20 04:29 PM

Where are you going to install the o2 sensor and your idle and low speed readings are going to be heavily skewed......

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 10/31/20 11:17 PM

I asked him to install one on the passenger side. Typically with short headers and no mufflers you really don't get an idle reading..I pick the car up tomorrow....So this will be interesting.

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 11/01/20 10:29 PM

Well, stage 1 complete!

Attached picture DSC06953.JPG
Posted By: Dart451

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 11/02/20 01:25 PM

Looks good, how is sparkplug access?
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 11/02/20 02:34 PM

Looks like it may require removing the headers, and easier too.

LOL

joe

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 11/02/20 04:03 PM

Looks nice even though I'm not a fan of the looks or sound of that type of exhaust and unless you NEED the bowl vents tied together, I wouldn't and I and others had issues with carbs going lean from not enuff head pressure in the bowls....

Re: Lowering a Car for ET? - 11/02/20 04:15 PM

Not sure about plug access yet. I can tell you, in going from 2" straight tubes to 2-1/8 to 2-1/4 step tubes is probably not going to make access any better. Seems like the outer corner plugs are nice and easy, and the middle two on each side are going to be the hassle. I know on the passenger side, that is the case. I thought for sure the steering shaft would be an issue, and he got right around it, so we will see....It has to breath better for sure, and we know somthing was holding the car back.

We made multiple changes this year with no change in ET. We went high compression, no change, we went better heads, no change, so that left us kinda wondering what was causing the wall we were stuck at. And I think the old man at Koffles hit the nail on the head when he mentioned headers, and that is how I ended up down this path. I had called them to talk about heads, and flow numbers and he said were not going to get a damn thing out of his heads with 2" tube headers...So flow in has to match flow out, and we never balanced that equation.....until now.

This winter whem I freshen the heads, we are going bigger intake valves....These heads should really make some good power, and we are just missing it.

It also fixes two other issues.

I couldn't lower the car, and I was always catching my header flange on the lip of the trailer......

The dust blown around from previous fenderwell's would just fill the whole car every time I fired it.....Was aweful....and impossible to keep the car even semi clean....

And one thing is for sure, the car was very loud before this, it will now be even louder for sure, which matches the saying I have on the back window..."Does Not Play Well With Others"

Attached picture DSC06842.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums